A single night stay on the hottest day of the year isn't the best way to judge a hotel, but the Benson was still notable.
There are two things the Benson has going for it:
1) It's location smack in the heart of Downtown.
2) A deal with Hotwire, where it's possible that one can get the room for under $160.
It's billed as a four-star hotel, and I can understand why it's label as such, but there are other four-star hotels in the same area, and if you've stayed at them, the flaws of the Benson start to shine through. They are as follows:
1) The rooms are small.
2) The hallways are dark.
3) Room service is passable, but not up to the quality that you get at the other four-star hotels in the area.
What does the Benson have? Service. Not just with a smile, but with the idea of going beyond the customers expectations. I witnessed this from everyone from the car valet service, to the front desk, to the servers who brought up a bucket of ice to my room based solely off of an off-handed comment to room service.
I've stayed at every four-star hotel in Downtown Portland, and no one has better service than the Benson. This is what sets them apart.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Classic Landmark Hotel located in heart of business & financial district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Benson Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.