The Benson, a Coast Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$235
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
US$205
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$230
  • Breakfast included
US$181
Sentinel(Portland)
US$226
US$207
  • Restaurant
Park Lane Suites & Inn(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$118
Travelocity
Hotel deLuxe(Portland)
US$186
  • Room Service
2,415 results
All reviewsthe palm courtclassic hotelbeautiful lobbybeautiful historic hoteljunior suitelobby barold schoolthe pearlwithin walking distanceolder hotelwine tastingstreet noiseheart of downtowngreat downtown locationpowell's bookstorevalet parkingpioneer square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Beautiful decor in the entry way, with a lovely bar and live music every evening. It takes one back in time to old movies with Kathryn Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. The decor was extensive and some may find it overwhelming, but one needs to go back in time to when one was a child and fascinated and enchanted by the magic of big christmas trees, golden decorations, lights and display.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Ron G, Manager at The Benson, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to stay at The Benson during the holidays while we were decked out in all our Christmas finery. It is a magical time and we appreciate your recognition of our great location in Portland. We hope to become one of your annual traditions and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

When I first stayed at the Benson, I felt I had found my home-away-from-home. I reviewed the hotel here and gave it a glowing five stars. Then came my November stay, which was so poor that I wrote a detailed letter to the general manager and never heard a word back in response. Space will not permit a full story, but in a nutshell: A) I was told by the Benson concierge that there would be a cabstand at the Keller Auditorium that evening, very important as I am disabled. But there was no such thing, so I had to walk to a busy corner and flag down a cab with my cane. It took me well over an hour to get back. B) I reported to the bell captain a very bad dog mess just outside the Benson side door, which was being trod upon by pedestrians and smeared into a worse mess. (I have enough empathy to be able to imagine how awful all those pedestrians were going to feel when they got in their cars, or sat down in a cafe, or got to their hotel rooms, and said " Eyew, what is that smell.") I reported this dog mess at about 1pm, and ten hours later at 11 p.m., it was still there. C) I saved the worst for last. When I asked a desk clerk named Jenny for a "mutt mitt" for my dog, she was begrudging. She told me that guests come prepared to clean up after their own dogs. (Well, I do as well, but this time I had left my baggies in my car). Later that night, when I saw that dog mess still there, I stopped at the desk to have a word with this young woman about how she had treated me when I asked for a mutt mitt. Remarkably, she told me that "These things cost money so we only give one per guest, so that's why I hesitated." And she went on to tell me "When I go out with my dog, I always make sure I am prepared to clean up." She used herself as an example that I should follow. I was so dumbfounded all I could say was "These are completely unacceptable things for you to say to me." to which she responded with an insincere "Sahwre-e-e-e-e." At this point, another desk clerk leaned over and told me that I was "done talking to Jenny," that she was the supervisor, and that she would handle the matter. I felt rebuked, on top of the outrage of being told that "these things cost money." So did my $280 room cost money and my $18 pancake breakfast! So, as I said, I wrote to the general manager. When I received no response, I thought for sure that there would be some acknowledgment when I returned to the hotel a month later for surgery at the Casey Eye Institute at OHSU -- a bowl of fruit in my room with a note, a vase of flowers, a room upgrade. Nothing, Nada. Zip. My quite valid concerns were completely ignored. I am staying at the River Place next month when I return for more surgery, and I am cancelling all my opera night reservations at the Benson. Everything I have reported here puts the lie to all the Benson claims of 100 years of distinguished service. I'll say it's distinguished: It is distinguished by an insulting and uncaring response to one guest's terrible experience.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the energy of street noise, then a lower floor, street-facing room will be fine. That is where they put me for my December stay, which, since I was there for health reasons, I did not appreciate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank VeeElle
Ron G, Manager at The Benson, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

I thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and apologize for the customer service issues you encountered. Additionally I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your recent visit, as I am truly sorry that I did not receive the letter you reference. Your business is valued and we welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Benson Hotel. I look forward to a personal conversation with you offline.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have stayed at the Benson on and off for years for work as my company has had a good corporate rate and I'd prefer to stay downtown as opposed to staying out near our offices in the suburbs. Two issues I have with the Benson over the last couple years... The rates (at least our corporate rate) have jumped... $20 on the room rate and $10 on parking. I am looking at other downtown hotels to understand where the market rates are for competing properties. The other issue I am concerned about the pricing is the relative value. The hallways and rooms at the Benson have gotten pretty shabby. The lobby lives up to the description of the hotel (though a little claustrophobic at the holidays with all the decorations), but that's about it. I can't see staying at the Benson again until the ownership group spends some money to refurbish.

Room Tip: Higher rooms better to avoid the street noise. I was on 5th floor and still had a fair amount of street noise, but this is to be expected at a downtown hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank wildcatpike

We look forward to continuing as your hotel of choice when visiting Portland. Thank you for being a loyal Benson guest over the past years. We strive to provide exceptional hospitality, accommodations and value. We appreciate your comments regarding our guest rooms and hallways and will share this information with the appropriate management. We will also utilize your feedback in future planning. Thank you, we hope to see you at The Benson on a return visit to Portland.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Don't stay here on a weekend because it's a party hotel. The 12 floor was banked down with Pot smoke and a loud party ongoing well past midnight. Security and bell staff just said "uh oh." Every time we got off the elevator on the 12th floor the place reeked of pot smoke.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs to drown out the noise if you stay on a party weekend. The hotel does nothing to stop loud drinking parties.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank teda007

We appreciate your comments and apologize for the issues you encountered. We will share your review with the appropriate management so we may make the necessary improvements. I welcome the chance to discuss this with you further offline, as your input is invaluable and my hope is that you will return so we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in The Benson Hotel.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I made reservations at the Benson to celebrate a special occasion, and was understandably nervous upon reading so many less-than-stellar reviews. Now, let me say that I *do* think the hotel is a bit long in the tooth. Sure, the lobby zooms and booms, but I took the advice of every reviewer here who suggested buying up to a junior suite and skipping the regular-sized rooms.
On the other hand, I would have chosen a junior suite simply because this was a special occasion.

My first impression of the room (520) was that it was, indeed, and bit "tired" and worn. The sofa was comfortable, and I spent all of my time there while not in bed (which was perfect as far as I was concerned)....but the two chairs flanking the sofa were simply uncomfortable, and......well, just a bit tatty looking. But don't misunderstand: I loved the room overall. It was spacious, and with a corner room there were lots of windows. Now, I wasn't so high up, but there was an intense cold snap in Portland then, so I don't think many noise-makers were out and about on the street. Sleeping wasn't a problem; and I really do love the way I could fling open a window and "hang out" enjoying the city view.

Bathroom was small, yes, but fine with me. No problems there. I didn't try the breakfast or the other eating options at the hotel. Portland has so many great eateries.

On the whole, I had a very nice time at the Benson. Front desk staff were great; the room was by and large very comfortable, and very roomy.

But.....would I return? ---- I doubt it. As with the number of good Portland eateries, there are a number of hotels from which to choose. Don't take this as a bad review. It's just that the Benson really could stand to freshen up.

Room Tip: Choose an Executive Junior Suite, corner room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for providing comments on your recent visit to The Benson. We appreciate your critique about our accommodations and will include your feedback in future planning. Your kind words about our staff are appreciated. We do hope you will keep The Benson in mind when future travel plans bring you to Portland.