“Beautiful old hotel!”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #18 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

You must remember that this is an older hotel when staying here. The room wasn't very roomy and the bed, although comfortable, squeaked each time we rolled over. Although the closet had plenty of room, access was through a small door - reaching the ironing board was quite a feat. If you want a microwave, you must rent one. The refrigerator holds the honor bar foods so don't plan on using it for storing many of your own items. The lobby is beautiful with lots of seating and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again on a return visit to Portland.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This (and the other surrounding hotels) are a great location in Portland to be able to walk to a bunch of great restaurants/food carts, shopping areas/markets and street photography spots.

The pricing is high but you have to expect that in a character hotel right in the core of the downtown, touristy district.

The building has a lot of character as it's been there since 1913. The main lobby is beautiful and would be a great spot for wedding photos or other special events.

The first room we were put in smelled like cigarette smoke but we phoned the lobby and they had a bellman come and switch us rooms right away.

I don't travel to Portland a lot but I would probably try another hotel in the same area next time I do. Not because I had a bad experience at The Benson but more so I could experience another spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor that didn't previously allow smoking. Unless you don't mind the sm...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see our location suited you and you enjoyed the beautiful architecture of our historic hotel. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to sharing your comments with the rest of our team.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is our 4th stay at the Benson hotel. We love the location to the many restaurants in the Portland area. We were upgraded at check in which was the best thing that happened to us after traveling from the east coast in a snowstorm and arriving without our luggage. The staff provided us with toothbrushes and we were on our way to celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday. Our room was very large and welcoming. We had a great breakfast the next morning in the hotel. They also have a very nice happy hour. The concierge was very helpful in recommending places to have lunch or dinner. We will be back and the Benson will be our home away from home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasion with us. It was our pleasure to provide you with a complimentary upgrade. The Benson wishes your daughter many more happy birthdays to come!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Benson is a historic Hotel in Downtown Portland where many presidents have stayed. The decor is original and stunning. The rooms are good sized with Very comfy beds. The piano bar located within is beautiful. Wonderfully preserved piece of history and a gem!

• Stayed: February 2014
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your kind endorsement. I am pleased that you appreciate the historic nuances that make The Benson so special. We are preserved as a member of the National Register of Historic Places and look forward to serving you for many years to come!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

A very convenient location for travel via MAX from PDX to The Benson without having an automobile to drive and park; and convenient to walking to The Pearl or Lan Su Gardens or any of the downtown Portland attractions. A grand old hotel lobby, just wonderful!! Service was pretty good overall, just a little standoffish based on a recent experience at The Inn At Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach CA....perhaps this is just Portland. Elevators are tricky...the card must be inserted and removed VERY SLOWLY for it to work. Check in staff does not tell you this. Ice machine on our floor didn't work, never repaired, out of order sign never installed, and management never acknowledge my comment about it. Cleaning staff left wet cleaning rags on the bench by the bed one day and did not clean the bathtub. Sink at counter did not drain well, drain plug was improperly installed, had to remove it with tweezers to get drainage, and again management did not acknowledge my written comment about it. I would stay here again but I was a bit disappointed by some of these 'little things' which made The Benson fail on its promise to 'exceed your expectations'. The mattress was great; internet service was slow. This hotel is over 100 years old so don't expect all of the whiz-bang of a new property.

Room Tip: A higher floor upgrade with windows on two sides of the room gives you a nice view of Portland, the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see our location suited you. I apologize for the inconvenient issues you encountered. I have shared your review with the rest of our team so we continue to improve. I hope to have the pleasure of serving you again during your next visit to Portland.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the Benson during an interview trip to Portland. The property is old and the lobby was amazing. Our room was smaller than many newer hotels, but well appointed. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was street facing and there was a lot of noise. All in all it was a lovely weekend.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your kind endorsement and we are thrilled that you appreciate the historic nuances that make The Benson so special.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I am staying in this hotel and went down for a drink - Saturday night 3/1. Bar was busy due to the Jazz band so I sat over away from the bar along with other people. Everyone around me was getting served by the waitress and not once did she come over even though caught her eye. I went and got a menu myself and sat there with it. Did it prompt her - NO! She looked a couple of times and 30min later I walked out, especially when other people arrived and got served. She was utterly incompetent!!! Not again. Not sure who to complain to about this but I would have if I knew

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank wilsongr10
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide feedback. I apologize for the unacceptable level of service you received in the Palm Court. This weekend The Benson was Participating in the PDX Jazz festival, which prompted more guest visits to the bar during our live entertainment. I am very sorry that you did not receive the level of service we strive to provide. I hope you return so we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in The Benson.