“Would be a 5 star with new windows”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Everything is great for the Benson Hotel - the customer service, the great location, historic property. Only thing that holds the hotel back is something that has been commented on previously here on Trip Advisor. We were on the 9th floor and it sound like the traffic was right outside our window. Quite loud at night - time for some sound proof windows please!

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor you can - I cannot even fathom how loud it was down on the third or...
1  Thank Popoki63
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your compliments regarding our location, friendly team and historic accommodations. I appreciate your comments and will utilize your feedback in future planning.

There are newer reviews for Benson Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2014

good location, near both the light rail and the streetcar---plenty of shopping nearby and good eats---great old place and the service was very good---there isn't a gift shop inside but the front desk can provide you with most items and there is certainly plenty of quick item stores around the area---my only complaint would be that the bed was too soft and the towels were pretty scratchy but would definitely stay there again when the need arises

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I apologize that you didn’t enjoy our Tempurpedic mattress. At The Benson Hotel we do have bed options from which to choose and we would be happy to provide you with a room that meets your preferences!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Pretty much loved everything about our stay at the Benson in Portland. It really is a beautiful, historic hotel (but the rooms are very modern-fyi). the staff was great, in particular the bellmen and the concierge. My wife and I did a quick trip to celebrate our 21st anniversary and my bday. We caught a concert while there, and skipped the car and used the pretty awesome public transportation in Portland. The hotel is easy walking distance to everywhere you'd probably want to be-including the train to airport. Walk like four small blocks and for 10 bucks (round trip for 2) you can get to and from the airport with your luggage. I think the Benson hotel is a classy, affordable way to stay in Portland,a nd would highly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: They do an upgrade deal if rooms are available at no extra charge-they did ours automatically but I...
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to celebrate both your birthday and anniversary with us! I am glad you found our central location convenient and that you were able to utilize Portland’s transportation system. We hope to become a tradition and welcome you back for future special occasions.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at the Benson when we drove down from Vancouver, B.C. for a concert recently. The hotel is located in the downtown district and we only had to walk 5 - 6 city blocks to get to the venue. The Benson has a beautiful lobby and the rooms are certainly adequate. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am glad you found The Benson Hotel centrally located and close to all Portland has to offer. I appreciate your recommendation and look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days while on business. The valet parking employees were awesome and they made sure my vehicle was parked and safe - I didn't have to wait long when I needed my vehicle and they made sure I was heading in the right direction when leaving the downtown area.

The staff are very professional, knowledgable and helpful. Check-in was a breeze and they explained everything about the hotel so I knew my way around.

The hotel woodwork in the foyer and restaurant was very beautiful and everywhere I went in the hotel was extremely clean. The rooms are nice and comfortable and the beds were good. The room amenedies were very good quality and plentiful.

I had breakfast and one dinner in the restaurant and although not fine dining the food was very good.

The hotel is very central to all the sights of the downtown area - you are within walking distance to a number of tourist hot spots which made it very nice for me to get around.

Would stay at the Benson again; it is very charming with the feeling of upscale travel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Your kind remarks about your experience at The Benson are greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

When the arrived, the woman at the front desk was wonderful, as were the valet staff, and offered us good information and personal experiences at the restaurant we had chosen to go to the next morning.

Our room, 1024, was in horrible shape. The bathtub had a horrible dark ring around it and looked old and dirty. The floor of the tub was missing a couple of large spots of the white porcelain. You could see the grey material underneath it. If our kids had been with us we DEFINITELY would NOT have allowed them to use the tub.

Neither window in our room locked or closed properly. There was tons of street noise (people yelling, police cars with sirens running, and a couple trains the next morning) that came in through the windows. I finally was able to get one closed and locked which helped to shut out some of the noise but the other one would not lock no matter what so there was tons of noise.

Not only is this a noise issue but it's an energy efficiency issue too not to mention the fact that a child could push the window open easily and fall from the 10th floor.

When we told the staff of the issues the next morning (at checkout) we were not given an apology. What they said was "We have been trying to find a company to replace the windows while still allowing them to open. We finally found one." They also marked the room as "don't sell until issues are resolved."

We were never given a copy of our bill and they never thanked us for staying or asked us to come back.

If the rest of the hotel is in this poor shape we don't even want to THINK about how well the dishes and glasses are cleaned. I shudder to think about it.

This was a horrible experience! We will not be back! We will stay at the Heathman next time.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor and had street noise like we were on the first floor. Choose another hote...
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
5  Thank Dennis O
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you very much for providing detailed feedback. I am disappointed to read about your experience[and am very sorry that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you offline. Thank you again for providing us with a thorough review.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Let me first say that every employee we interacted with was terrific. If I were rating on service only I would give it a five. The facilities however have seen better days. The management team needs to take a hard look at the performance of their maintenance team. Most of the issues in our room were in the bathroom and were suggest of a poor preventative maintenance program. The caulking around the tub had been poorly redone and was seriously mildew stained. The tub drained so poorly you were standing in ankle deep water before you were done with your shower. I heard another guest also mention this issue at check out The main ceiling fixture in the bathroom was a canned light. What should have had a flood type bulb in the fixture but instead there was a regular light bulb. This meant when you closed the shower curtain it was very dark. The wallpaper was also starting to peel.

While the staff tried to do their best, we got little sleep. There was both a wedding and a bachelor party going on in the hotel. Which meant that from midnight to four in the morning slamming doors and shouting in the hallways. The noise was very loud. It was like being back in college with a frat party going on. It was impossible to sleep. The hotel could work on the door issue by adjusting the door closers and placing foam or felt in the door frames. Only guest with good manners and increased security could really take care of the hallway party. Once it had all quieted down it was almost sunrise. There were only roller blinds on the windows, not black out curtains, which meant the sun was streaming in.

The Benson is a classic and could be so much better. I am afraid that Coast Hotels has not put the effort into maintaining this Portland icon.

2  Thank Nadine H
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I appreciate your comments and apologize for the issues you encountered. I will share your suggestions with the appropriate management. On behalf our entire team, I hope you return so we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in The Benson Hotel.