The Benson, a Coast Hotel
US$173
US$151
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Inn At The Meadows(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$109
Dossier(Portland)
US$250
US$231
2,411 results
All reviewsthe palm courtclassic hotelbeautiful lobbybeautiful historic hoteljunior suitelobby barold schoolthe pearlwithin walking distanceolder hotelwine tastingstreet noiseheart of downtowngreat downtown locationpowell's bookstorevalet parkingpioneer square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed at The Benson after 4 days on a bicycle. The lobby was beautiful and classy, check in was friendly and quick. My room was quiet, well appointed and a very good value. I changed and hit the lounge for a cocktail. The bar tender was professional and his in house "specials" were AMAZING! I had some sort of jalapeno martini thing that was delicious and HOT! I will return and stay here in the future.

Room Tip: 5th floor seemed to be high enough to quiet any street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank seatown7
Ron G, Manager at The Benson, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with us. I certainly hope we were able to provide you with a relaxing stay after your 4-day journey. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again when visiting Portland.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We enjoyed a sumptuous night in a jr. suite at the Benson Hotel. The hotel is a masterpiece of a grand hotel that has been painstakingly cared fro since it opened in 1913. The ambiance is outstanding and the lobby truly amazing but the staff was more than exceptional! I will return there for sure!

Room Tip: Spring for one of the Junior suites although all of the room are quite large.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
1  Thank Deborah49
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wonderful and very convenient location. Walkable to most location and many good restaurants around. I would definitely come back. They also have free wine tasting happy hour at 4 each day, don't miss it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jonathan k
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Benson offered a good rate for a downtown hotel in Portland. The location is good for sightseers. On-sight eating facilities are small and limited, although there are restaurants within walking distance. The rooms were clean and comfortable, even if a bit dated. The only problem was one morning, when only one of three elevators was working and seemingly everyone wanted to leave at the same time. Stairwells were not well-marked. The problem was corrected later in the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ron G, Manager at The Benson, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We apologize about the issue with our elevators that morning. We're happy to report it was quickly resolved. We certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again if you should visit Portland.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The lobby of the Benson is stunning, beautifully restored to its original glory. The rooms are small, as might be expected in an old city center hotel. They are working on upgrading their wireless network, which was free but inconsistent when I was there. My biggest gripe had to do with staffing. It seems inadequate, given the setting and price of rooms. It was difficult for me to reach the front desk, for example. They put me on hold three times during one call. The bell staff covers for the concierge during off hours. And when the concierge was there, he was hard to access. Even the restaurant servers seemed somewhat indifferent. When I asked for a (non-alcoholic) beverage to take to my room, it never arrived. Later, I was told that they thought I would go over to the bar to pick it up (rather than have the server bring it to me, waiting at the entrance to the dining room.) This was close to 10 oclock at night, when they had virtually no other customers to wait on. Perhaps they just need to train their staff to a higher standard. The location is great, close to restaurants, food trucks, and transportation options. I would not hesitate to book here again, just don't expect royal treatment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business