“Awesome location. Excellent staff. A classic hotel, but a little pricey.”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Peoria, Arizona
“Awesome location. Excellent staff. A classic hotel, but a little pricey.”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I've stayed here on business a few times when I could get a rate that would fit my budget. Their prices vary greatly depending on demand (more than most hotels I think). This stay was for pleasure. We paid for an upgraded room, because the rooms can be small. Their staff is friendly and very professional. The bellman, Cordell, really puts on a show. The lobby is 5 star all the way. Like most old hotels the elevators are slow. It's a beautiful hotel, and I hope to stay here again next time I'm in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
We would love to have you stay with us again on your next visit to Portland, whether it be for business or pleasure. Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Benson first week of August for one night. We chose the Benson as it was well located and as it is a 4 star hotel we were expecting to have a nice stay. We were not there to spend much time in the room but nevertheless we were disappointed after checking in.
The room had a decent size but the bathroom needed some updating. Tiles were missing at the bottom of the bathtub, the caulking looked like it had known better days, the shower curtain rod had been moved and the old holes were still showing on both sides, the closet door in the room needed to be painted there were scuff marks and the paint was pealing. These are all things that could easily be taken care of by maintenance. On top of everything the bed made a lot of noise. The mattress and the pillows were great but the bed was made of wood and every time my husband or I would move it made a lot of noise. I would be ok with that in my grandparents house but not in a 4 star hotel. Overall it was a disappointing experience. On a positive note location is great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
While we appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us, I am disappointed we did not exceed your expectations. Please know I will share your review with our team in order to see where we may make improvements. Thank you.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Benson for five nights. Very nice old hotel. Ate at Palm Court first night. Good food, very reasonable prices. Good conference support. Good food for breakfast, snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner banquet. Over all an excelent experience.

Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We're thrilled we could provide you with an excellent stay and experience while visiting Portland for your conference. Thank you very much!
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at the Benson Hotel for a wedding. Couldn't have been more pleased. Very nice property and staff was outstanding. Very comfortable beds and very nice room. The wedding was also held here and the staff did an outstanding job breaking down the ballroom and setting up for the reception. Will stay here again if in Portland area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review! We'd love to serve you again when visiting Portland.
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have just returned from a stay in Portland Oregon at The Benson Hotel. Our room was a junior suite and I will say it is probably the finest hotel room we have ever experienced in our travels. The staff are also especially accommodating. All in all it was a great experience!!!!

Room Tip: east view rooms are great
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our double room was small and did not have much of a view (the window just looked out to the opposite end of the hotel which looked old and dilapidated). The bathroom was clean, but definitely old and outdated. The only advantage to staying here is its location, which is very central and close to the main attractions in the city. We were able to walk to Powell's, Pearl District. Room service also did not make our beds until we called them to do so when we came back around 4 or 5 pm. For the amount we paid for the hotel, we expected more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ihearteurope09
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
I am very sorry to read your review and learn of your experience at our hotel. It is always our intention to deliver superb service and amenities to our guests, and it appears on this occasion we may have fallen short. Please know I will share your review with our team in order to see where we may make improvements. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having not made a reservation in Portland we set ourselves a budget and went looking. We finally found Benson Hotel. Great location easy to find. Clean and traditional looking rooms, the bathrooms could do with a make over as this is the only thing that lets the room down.

The lobby has that very old style grandness about it. The staff were fantastic, I know how it is dealing with a walk-in guest but they went out of their way to show me a number of rooms before I made my decision.

The King Bed was amazing, I got one of my best nights sleep in it whilst on the world trip.
Breakfast was fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, it has a little bit more space.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Golf_Focus
Ron G, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic 5-star review. I am so happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return visit.