“I liked it!”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #18 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 22 February 2010

My wife and I booked this hotel through priceline.com's bidding option. We paid $75/night and were at first quite pleased. Once we started reading reviews on here we were a bit worried. People had all sorts of bad thigs to say. Upon arrival we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel is a beautiful classic building with a fantastic lobby and lounge. The service was great and the staff were very friendly. I emailed the concierge prior to our arrival and received two lengthly responses listing hotels and attractions. I didn't feel that I was treated poorly by where I booked through as others had said. The room we received was smallish but nice. It's an old hotel so things could use a bit of updating but it felt clean and very nice. One thing we discovered was that you could have a fishbowl sent up to your room. Seemed kinda funny so we did it. I'm rambling here so to sum things up: this is a nice classic hotel in a great location. Good value for sure. Don't listen to the nonsense that people are writing on this site.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,286)

Reviewed 22 January 2010

The beautiful Benson Hotel. The jewel of the Rose City. I have been quite ill for the past three years. Hospitals, surgeries, in bed the entire time. My wonderful husband surprised me with a New Years Eve hotel stay and dinner downtown. We hadn't been out in years and although I had surgery scheduled for first of February I looked forward to this.

They first charged us for the wrong party but we accepted it. The first horror was going into the bathroom of our $200 plus room and finding that someone previously had use the toilet and had not flushed. Leaving the toilet soiled and with a package inside. I called the front desk and was moved to a much larger room as an apology. We were late for the five course dinner portion of the evening. It was wonderful. When we came back to our corner suite we wanted to shower and change for bed since it was after 1am. I went to brush my teeth and there were long light brown hairs about eight inches long all over the sink, floor, bathtub, etc. Mold in the tub, ceiling and tile. If that wasn't enough, we started hearing what sound like a fight out in the hallway. Then banging on the walls and our door making threats against minorities in the hotel. We call security but this continued off and on until 6am.

Room service times were wrong in their information but at check out they discounted our stay and removed our room service cost. Hubby paid cash and we left. Got home and saw that they charged our credit card! When we called on New Years Day they stated that accounting was closed until Monday and we could try for a reverse in the charge and we were over charged again. At that point the night cost us over $800!!! It took a while for the bill to be fixed but never again.

It was one of the worst experiences we've had.

3  Thank Cyberdoll
Reviewed 12 December 2009

this is the type of hotel you expect understands how to create an old world experience. The lobby is amazing and when you enter the hotel you have high expectations. From that moment is goes downhill. Narrow musty halls and rooms. Old decor and amenities. Average beds with low grade bedding. Plain bathrooms and no modern technology. There is simply nothing sexy about this place. If you are 70+ and looking for a cocktail in the lobby fine. Anyone else looking for a sexy time with your spose should go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tokeefe
Reviewed 12 December 2009

We had a great stay at the Benson. The room was very comfortable and the tempur-pedic mattress was incredible. WOW. We slept like babies!! Great location for all shopping districts. The staff was warm and friendly. Will definitely will return very soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank seattlegirlonthego
Reviewed 6 December 2009

You absolutely must try the orange pancakes with orange ginger syrup!!!

Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Benson Hotel is at a great location, within walking distance to most of Portland's downtown attractions. There are lots of great restaurants within a block or two from the hotel. The hotel's lobby is fantastic. The staffs were very friendly and helpful. Our King Bedroom was more than sufficient for our trip. The bed was very comfortable. The only thing I thought could have been better was the bathroom. For the hotel's 4-star rating, the bathroom in our room was about a 3, but nothing to be concern about. This hotel was a great experience for us. You should try it. Oh, parking was a bit expensive at $30/day.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2009

The hotel is not as horrible as some reviewers have suggested. I didn't find anything wrong with the attitude of the staff members. The door man helped me with carrying our stroller up the steps and was very courteous. The lady at the front desk chatted with me about tax free shopping in OR, and also offered to upgrade me from a queen room to a junior suite for $10.

However. The hotel is in desperate need of some modern upgrades. Everything in the room looked just old. Very old. And because everything was so old looking there might be the perception that things were dirty. It would've been nice to stay with a 4 star hotel with some clean & newer looking hardware.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family