“shopping weekend”

Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Bow, Washington
“shopping weekend”
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Superb downtown location. Great deals and very ritzy yet comfortable. Valet service is awesome

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 28 February 2010

A quaint boutique hotel - which I dearly loved. The room was a bit small- but I Couldn't ask for a better place to stay when traveling alone -The staff took care of every need quickly- and easily. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
DCJazz
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We arrived after midnight due to a late night flight from the East Coast. upon arrival, we emptied the car of bags, including two large sports equipment bags, and two carry-on sized rolling suitcases, and two backpacks. The Valet opened the door for us, but there was never and offer to help, as there was not a porter. The woman at the front desk was unhelpful and bordering on rude. We asked the price diference between the valet and a garage, and we were told it wasn't her job to know that. After checking in, we hauled all 6 bags up to our room which was completely on the opposite side of the floor as the elevator, only to find the tiniest room I've ever been in. There was barely enough room to walk around the Queen size bed. The room was cold, as the heater was either off or really low. The bathroom had grout work missing, and the shower was gross. (Not dirty, just what I would expect to find in a much lower class hotel.) After finally settling in from parking the car at a garage around the corner at a more resonable price, we headed to bed close to 2 AM. House keeping promptly knocked on the door at 8 AM. Then again at 8:20, when we finally got up and placed the do not disturb on the door. The hotel is a grand old building, the lobby is wonderful, but I wouldn't stay in one of there rooms again. Ever.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DCJazz
canada
Reviewed 22 February 2010

My wife and I booked this hotel through priceline.com's bidding option. We paid $75/night and were at first quite pleased. Once we started reading reviews on here we were a bit worried. People had all sorts of bad thigs to say. Upon arrival we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel is a beautiful classic building with a fantastic lobby and lounge. The service was great and the staff were very friendly. I emailed the concierge prior to our arrival and received two lengthly responses listing hotels and attractions. I didn't feel that I was treated poorly by where I booked through as others had said. The room we received was smallish but nice. It's an old hotel so things could use a bit of updating but it felt clean and very nice. One thing we discovered was that you could have a fishbowl sent up to your room. Seemed kinda funny so we did it. I'm rambling here so to sum things up: this is a nice classic hotel in a great location. Good value for sure. Don't listen to the nonsense that people are writing on this site.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2010

The beautiful Benson Hotel. The jewel of the Rose City. I have been quite ill for the past three years. Hospitals, surgeries, in bed the entire time. My wonderful husband surprised me with a New Years Eve hotel stay and dinner downtown. We hadn't been out in years and although I had surgery scheduled for first of February I looked forward to this.

They first charged us for the wrong party but we accepted it. The first horror was going into the bathroom of our $200 plus room and finding that someone previously had use the toilet and had not flushed. Leaving the toilet soiled and with a package inside. I called the front desk and was moved to a much larger room as an apology. We were late for the five course dinner portion of the evening. It was wonderful. When we came back to our corner suite we wanted to shower and change for bed since it was after 1am. I went to brush my teeth and there were long light brown hairs about eight inches long all over the sink, floor, bathtub, etc. Mold in the tub, ceiling and tile. If that wasn't enough, we started hearing what sound like a fight out in the hallway. Then banging on the walls and our door making threats against minorities in the hotel. We call security but this continued off and on until 6am.

Room service times were wrong in their information but at check out they discounted our stay and removed our room service cost. Hubby paid cash and we left. Got home and saw that they charged our credit card! When we called on New Years Day they stated that accounting was closed until Monday and we could try for a reverse in the charge and we were over charged again. At that point the night cost us over $800!!! It took a while for the bill to be fixed but never again.

It was one of the worst experiences we've had.

• Stayed February 2010
3 Thank Cyberdoll
portland
Reviewed 12 December 2009

this is the type of hotel you expect understands how to create an old world experience. The lobby is amazing and when you enter the hotel you have high expectations. From that moment is goes downhill. Narrow musty halls and rooms. Old decor and amenities. Average beds with low grade bedding. Plain bathrooms and no modern technology. There is simply nothing sexy about this place. If you are 70+ and looking for a cocktail in the lobby fine. Anyone else looking for a sexy time with your spose should go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tokeefe
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 12 December 2009

We had a great stay at the Benson. The room was very comfortable and the tempur-pedic mattress was incredible. WOW. We slept like babies!! Great location for all shopping districts. The staff was warm and friendly. Will definitely will return very soon.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends