“Good Value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Toronto
“Good Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

I just spent 2 nights at the Benson with my boyfriend over the Easter weekend. We booked this hotel on Priceline and got a very good deal. For the price we paid, we were very happy with the hotel. I would rate the Benson a solid 3.5 star hotel but definitely not a 4 star.

First some of the really good things about the hotel:
- The location is great!! You are in the center of Portland, walking distance to almost everything.
- The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and very helpful. The concierge recommended some places to eat and we tried the Portland City Grill - fabulous dinner and amazing view from the 30th floor. Not crazy expensive either.
- The hotel exterior is lovely and the lobby is very elegant. They have live music I believe on Saturday night.
- The bed was INCREDIBLE! I know some people mentioned that it could take some getting use to but I don't usually sleep well in hotels and I slept like a log.

Now for the major reason I would not give this hotel a 4 star rating:
- It's in desperate need of some updating. Our room was not terrible as some have mentioned but it is old. The TV is so dated and picture quality is terrible. Flat screens are a standard now especially at a 4 store. The washroom was clean but also very dated with no place to store anything and it should have a fan.
- Parking is $29/night...valet is the only option. We parked directly across from the hotel for $20/night and the garage has in and out privileges.

I would recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal on Priceline and if you are not expecting a luxurious 4 star hotel. It's a good value hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Fe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

Benson Pros:
- Perfect location in downtown Portland - close to everything
- Classic hotel with beautiful lobby and outside facade
- Very nice staff - good service

Benson Cons:
- older rooms that don't keep out the sound from the street or the hallways. did not have a good night sleep on a Saturday night because I could hear people yelling from the streets and coming home late from the bars in the hotel hallways. it woke me up several times.
- Benson has become a big priceline hotel - saw several backpackers and rowdy younger clientel. noticed that a lot of people weren't tipping the valet, which has a negative impact on overall service and morale (if you are getting on priceline, then you're probably getting a good deal)
- parking is $29.00 (but all parking in dt portland is expensive)
- rooms are standard - no frills.

I don't think I would stay at the Beson again because of the bad sleep I had with the noise in the hotel. 3 star hotels in Dt Portland are probably better because they are newer and keep the sound out.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bow, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

Superb downtown location. Great deals and very ritzy yet comfortable. Valet service is awesome

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

A quaint boutique hotel - which I dearly loved. The room was a bit small- but I Couldn't ask for a better place to stay when traveling alone -The staff took care of every need quickly- and easily. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
DCJazz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

We arrived after midnight due to a late night flight from the East Coast. upon arrival, we emptied the car of bags, including two large sports equipment bags, and two carry-on sized rolling suitcases, and two backpacks. The Valet opened the door for us, but there was never and offer to help, as there was not a porter. The woman at the front desk was unhelpful and bordering on rude. We asked the price diference between the valet and a garage, and we were told it wasn't her job to know that. After checking in, we hauled all 6 bags up to our room which was completely on the opposite side of the floor as the elevator, only to find the tiniest room I've ever been in. There was barely enough room to walk around the Queen size bed. The room was cold, as the heater was either off or really low. The bathroom had grout work missing, and the shower was gross. (Not dirty, just what I would expect to find in a much lower class hotel.) After finally settling in from parking the car at a garage around the corner at a more resonable price, we headed to bed close to 2 AM. House keeping promptly knocked on the door at 8 AM. Then again at 8:20, when we finally got up and placed the do not disturb on the door. The hotel is a grand old building, the lobby is wonderful, but I wouldn't stay in one of there rooms again. Ever.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DCJazz
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

My wife and I booked this hotel through priceline.com's bidding option. We paid $75/night and were at first quite pleased. Once we started reading reviews on here we were a bit worried. People had all sorts of bad thigs to say. Upon arrival we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel is a beautiful classic building with a fantastic lobby and lounge. The service was great and the staff were very friendly. I emailed the concierge prior to our arrival and received two lengthly responses listing hotels and attractions. I didn't feel that I was treated poorly by where I booked through as others had said. The room we received was smallish but nice. It's an old hotel so things could use a bit of updating but it felt clean and very nice. One thing we discovered was that you could have a fishbowl sent up to your room. Seemed kinda funny so we did it. I'm rambling here so to sum things up: this is a nice classic hotel in a great location. Good value for sure. Don't listen to the nonsense that people are writing on this site.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

The beautiful Benson Hotel. The jewel of the Rose City. I have been quite ill for the past three years. Hospitals, surgeries, in bed the entire time. My wonderful husband surprised me with a New Years Eve hotel stay and dinner downtown. We hadn't been out in years and although I had surgery scheduled for first of February I looked forward to this.

They first charged us for the wrong party but we accepted it. The first horror was going into the bathroom of our $200 plus room and finding that someone previously had use the toilet and had not flushed. Leaving the toilet soiled and with a package inside. I called the front desk and was moved to a much larger room as an apology. We were late for the five course dinner portion of the evening. It was wonderful. When we came back to our corner suite we wanted to shower and change for bed since it was after 1am. I went to brush my teeth and there were long light brown hairs about eight inches long all over the sink, floor, bathtub, etc. Mold in the tub, ceiling and tile. If that wasn't enough, we started hearing what sound like a fight out in the hallway. Then banging on the walls and our door making threats against minorities in the hotel. We call security but this continued off and on until 6am.

Room service times were wrong in their information but at check out they discounted our stay and removed our room service cost. Hubby paid cash and we left. Got home and saw that they charged our credit card! When we called on New Years Day they stated that accounting was closed until Monday and we could try for a reverse in the charge and we were over charged again. At that point the night cost us over $800!!! It took a while for the bill to be fixed but never again.

It was one of the worst experiences we've had.

• Stayed February 2010