“Ughhh”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #117 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel was a disaster!! The location is right next to a strip/dance business. The room was ok, bathtub was dirty, with hair in it. Breakfast was coffee and juice, apples and Little Debbie muffins. The smell in the hallway was disgusting, it smelled like food/smoke and mold.

I was traveling with my mother who is in her 60's and one of the employees saw her going outside to the car and made the comment to her "are you going next door to make some extra money..." REALLY???? Thats just rude and totally unacceptable.

Horrible hotel, horrible staff, horrible location and truly a nightmare experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Very inconsistent. We had a non-smoking room, but walking through the halls it smelled stale and of smoke. The room itself didn't smell. We had a Choice Hotels gift card which they either wouldn't or couldn't take, and staying there without paying money out of my pocket was part of the plan.

When we pulled up late on a Friday the strip club parking lot, which is just on the other side of a fence, was packed and a couple of sketchy looking guys were hanging around the entrance to the hotel. Once we passed through the smoky hallway our room was ok. It had been remodeled fairly recently although only about 95% of the way. There was no towel rack, no toilet paper holder, just not quite finished. Inside the room was fairly nice, but the door frame had a crack like someone had tried to break the door down at some point.

On the plus side, it is right off the highway, and within walking distance to a light rail station and it wasn't expensive. However, if you have a gift card to a hotel chain you should be able to use it. While we were in the room it was nice enough, but the hallway, the shared strip club parking lot and the lack of a general feeling of security all were major drawbacks. I'm sure you could spend about the same amount of money and get a place as nice or nicer than this hotel. On another trip I stayed at the Rodeway Inn at the airport which is tons nicer and feels much safer and also has light rail access. We needed to be over on the west side of town or that motel would have been a much better choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed at the Rodeway inn for almost two weeks coming in to Christmas. My room was clean and serviceable, but shabby coverings and stains and marks on the walls. The wireless internet access was terrible from my room, I had to sit, almost by the door to get any sort of speed when browsing. The ice machine was broken for my entire stay.

The free continental breakfast was atrocious, coffee, orange juice, bread and pastries.

The 'hotel' is also situated next door to a strip club.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel as anything other than a bed for the night.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon R
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My voucher from an travel website said "1 suite king size bed non-smoking." The front desk clerk told me that was a mistake on the travel company’s part, and they had me booked in a Queen Room, Smoking. I explained I couldn’t tolerate a smoking room, due to my asthma. The front desk clerk refused to help me, saying I would have to take the matter up with the travel company. I could only have the Suite, if I paid $70 more. My travel company was closed for the weekend. I asked to see the smoking room, to see whether I could handle the smoke with my asthma. It was intolerable. I asked the front desk clerk repeatedly why he couldn’t accommodate me, and then take the “booking error” up with my travel company on Monday, but he refused to answer. He was very unconcerned with the situation. Not to mention the quality of the hotel was not good: the furniture was old and stained, the carpet was filthy, the A/C wasn’t working very well, and it still contained a distinct odor of cigarettes, even though the sign on the door said “non-smoking.” I spent another 45 minutes on public transit and returned to a hotel near the airport, where for a mere $8 over what the Rodeway Inn was quoting me for their “suite,” I was accommodated at a hotel that SURPASSED my expectations. As a savvy traveler, and a member of the travel industry, this is what I’ve come to expect. I would recommend all travelers to AVOID this hotel, and frankly, the Choice Hotels brand has been compromised for me as a result of this experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I stayed for one night at the Rodeway Inn in E Portland/Gresham area. The room was poorly maintained and the curtains could not fully close, one lamp had a burned out bulb and the one that functioned did not have a lampshade. There was some sticky substance on the carpet and the place was generally not very clean. On the plus side the room had a small refrigerator and microwave. Sound insulation is poor, in the AM when one of my neighbors turned out his/her tub faucet, I thought I lived near an airport. Breakfast was the usual, cereal but no milk, no fruit some breads and a waffle maker.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The location was excellent since I wanted to visit Washington park area. This is definitely not a 3 star hotel like others said in their reviews. I will give it 1 1/2 star. The broken security door that you see in the photo is still not fixed. The wall in the bathroom had stain and had no toilet paper holder. Paper was just sitting on top of the toilet. Upon my check in I found old towel from previous customer hanged at the door hook. Both chairs were dirty and stained up. My bed cover did not look like the one from the posted pics. It seems like it was taken from hotel manager's home.

"Free continental breakfast" is a joke. It was Motel 6 type coffee, orange juice, cheapest 99c super market white bread, and cheap sugary pastries. I could not eat any of that. Terrible. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was received at the desk by what looked like a college kid. He took prepayment for the night I was staying. He gave me the room key for126. I wwent to the room door and was about to open it when I heard voices inside. I went back to the desk and was given another room no. 122.The rroom looked old but was clean. The bed linen smelt and looked clean. The towels in the bath were crisply fresh. I turned on the air cooler and it worked well. TV worked fine. The WiFi was very intermittent but usable. The sunset transit center was just walking distance. There was a dominos nearby so my dinner was sorted. A strip joint was just next door. I feared blaring music through the night would disturb my sleep but it didn't. I slept soundly. In the morning, I used the shower with soap & shampoo which was good. Breakfast was basic but self-service. Juices with choice of orange and apple. Coffee & tea. Toaster with choice of white & brown bread. Fresh apples and a choice of pastries. Checkout was at 11:00. Just left the key at the front desk and left. All in all, a decent hotel for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Rodeway Inn & Suites Jantzen Beach
#4 of 12 in Beaverton
Portlander Inn
Portlander Inn
#96 of 144 in Portland

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Portland? Share your experiences!