“Avoid at all Costs”

Ranked #117 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Bloomingdale, Illinois
“Avoid at all Costs”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel should not even be among the Rodeway family. Run down, in poor condition, but worse, they charged us for our 3 nights at the beginning where most places charge you day by day. When we cancelled two nights, they had to credit us for the charges. The continental breakfast was a 5 ft. counter with coffee, juice and saran wrapped sweet rolls. Everything had to be taken back to the room as there was nowhere to sit. There was also only 1 place to eat in the room so 1 of us had to sit on the bed. Just all around not a pleasant experience. As they say, you get what you pay for. The only good thing was the Teriyaki restaurant across the street. Excellent meal for the money.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoCandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

There is not enough room in this box to tell you how bad this hotel is. The ad on line said there was a resturaunt but the Dennys next door closed and now it is a strip joint. The room looked like a low end room ( compaired to other choice hotels) but it was good enough for us not to check out right away. There was no lugage cart and we were offered a laundry cart on the way in and an old dolly on the way out. Seriously people - get a luggage cart for those of us with bad backs. The first day, no housekeeper came to our room. The second day, we had to ask for trash and towels. Then at 8pm we asked again. The very nice red headed girl at the front desk appologized and came and did it herself. The next day we asked if we needed to ask for housekeeping - incase that was thier policy -nope they are on their way but since we were running out of toilet paper - here you go. The guy who checked us in, the red headed girl, the house keeper who eventually came (at like 6:30 on the 3rd day) and the nice lady who called our room to ask if we wanted to switch were all very curtious and helpful. It was not one person or thing that made the stay so hellish but rather a cumulation of bad items ; including a trip to the ER for spider bites, which made me wish I had never set foot in the RWI - nor will I ever again. I would also like to request a review of this site for removal of the Choice Hotel stamp of approval as it does not live up to any standard of reasonable accomodations. Even if they had offered a discount or one night off the bill - which they did not- I still would not give them any stars -ZERO. I do have faith that with proper guidance and a luggage cart, this hotel might someday redeam itself. In the managers defense, they did offer to switch rooms after they heard about the ER trip. Please use the money which you did not refund us to buy a luggage cart.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank JennaandSteve
Corbett, Oregon
Reviewed 14 May 2014

As a smoker even I was taken aback by the stench of stale cigarettes in the DOWNSTAIRS dark hallway. Smoking rooms should be UPSTAIRS smoke rises. I imagine nonsmokers would be truly offended here.

The pros: Great front desk, helpful and friendly. Bathroom very clean, pet friendly tho the fee way too high for this property, convenient location and quiet (the strip club next door a little creepy)

The Cons: Furnishings need updating, Shower head was just above my eye level and I'm 5'4" I had to bend down to wash my hair. A Hand held shower with extender bar would solve that cheaply. Remote only turns TV on and off, crap behind the nightstand, pillows looked like they had been used, NO soda machine or any vending, just ice. ONLY store within walking distance is across street and closes at 11. The room guide says drinks available but obviously not true. Holes in ceiling by smoke detector, the door guard was mounted to a piece of bare wood, hmmm broke in before?

Potential here, needs care one room at a time and some serious ventilation downstairs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ilene B
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn and found the hotel to be good. Deshawn at the front desk was great. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. He helped us find what we needed. the only downside was the area of town was a bit sketchy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
STEVENSON
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have stayed here a few times over the years. The wi-fi has improved though still slow. The rooms are OK and they are clean. The beds could be better.. The price though is as far as I am concerned too high all things considered. You may as well forget about the " breakfast" The coffee is diluted as is the juice. I'd just as soon just have a good cup of coffee and a doughnut or such and be done with it. There used to be a terrible tobacco smell in the hallways; it's mostly gone, but whatever these people from India eat/'cook or use as a scent is still way strong and offensive to me. You find that almost everywhere a Motel is run by people from India though.. That being said, this motel has to me a central location for access to SW Portland. and I would use it more often if the rates were more competitive. The desk clerk was quite pleasant!

Room Tip: get a room facing the parking lot away from Hwy 26
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ontario, Oregon
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Me and my wife were there it said it had a pool and spa. It dose but call and ask if it works the rooms are dirty and the hotel smelld and there were pubic hair in the bath room. and the fitness center is a joke.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oroville, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel was a disaster!! The location is right next to a strip/dance business. The room was ok, bathtub was dirty, with hair in it. Breakfast was coffee and juice, apples and Little Debbie muffins. The smell in the hallway was disgusting, it smelled like food/smoke and mold.

I was traveling with my mother who is in her 60's and one of the employees saw her going outside to the car and made the comment to her "are you going next door to make some extra money..." REALLY???? Thats just rude and totally unacceptable.

Horrible hotel, horrible staff, horrible location and truly a nightmare experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Days Inn Portland Central
#4 of 12 in Beaverton
Aladdin Inn and Suites
Aladdin Inn and Suites
#83 of 143 in Portland

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Portland? Share your experiences!