“Quite satisfied!”
Review of Urban Farmer

Urban Farmer
Reserve with OpenTable
Urban Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 4,588 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$20 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Ave
Transit: We are located right on the Max Line at the Pioneer Place stop as well as the Steetcar Pioneer Place stop.
Description: Urban Farmer redefines the modern steakhouse with an emphasis on Northwest, sustainable ingredients and simple, straightforward preparations within a farmer chic environment. The menu honors national and local culinary traditions sourcing ingredients from some of the Northwest’s finest eco-friendly producers like Sudan Farms, Wooden Bridge, Nicky Farms, and Cattail Creek. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, weekend brunch and happy hour, Urban Farmer remains a reliable and approachable destination amidst Portland’s bustling food scene.Designer David Ashen of D-ASH Design in New York created a unique restaurant space within the 8th floor atrium lobby of the Nines Hotel. The space makes use of organic, reclaimed and modern materials such as a 20-foot communal table sourced from an old-growth Douglas Fir. The spacious “Deck” captures the light-hearted feel of outdoor dining and is accented by a field of wheat grass in the center of the room. A video installation by one of Portland’s favorite experimental artists, Matt McCormick, rolls stunning images of the city’s rural and urban landscapes. The “Pantry” offers an intimate setting with walls of steel and reclaimed timber, as well as shelves stacked with vibrant jars of pickled fruits and vegetables. The Library , adjacent to Urban Farmer in the lobby, is the ideal venue for guests to host private parties, play a game of pool or enjoy a quiet cocktail.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Had to give up our reservation after a day of trekking around and not making it back in time. We opted for late night room service instead, which was fulfilled by the Urban Farmer. What can I say but wow!?! I didn't think an order of scrambled eggs and a grilled chicken sandwich could be so delicious.

I had the chicken which was perfectly flavored and cooked and came on a fresh baked bun topped with Gruyere and avocado. I had the avocado added. Came with a side of homemade chips that were flavorful and crisp. The beau order scrambled eggs and had smoked cheddar added. The eggs came with perfectly seasoned and cooked potatoes and a fresh baked, enormous sourdough English muffin. Simple meal that was quite satisfying and not bad price-wise considering it was room service. We actually enjoyed it more than the overpriced meal the night before.

The half of an English muffin served as breakfast the following morning with a cup of coffee and was still moist and yummy. Great food. Will have to make it to the actual restaurant on our next visit.

Carmae O, Manager at Urban Farmer, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review! I am so glad that you decided to try room service through Urban Farmer after your trek! Our house made English muffins are a personal favorite of mine as well. If you do decide to visit us for dinner next time you are in town, make sure you let us know so that we can make your visit extra special!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

great breakfast and good casual dinner….bar has great drinks--and a good cheese course. Wine list was in transition but interesting bottles…excellent service..

Autumn S, Manager at Urban Farmer, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for providing feedback and I'm happy to hear that you joined us for both breakfast and dinner. We have some exciting new additions to our wine list and would love to invite you back for a look!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Three of us made reservations for a birthday dinner and the mixed drinks were delicious, the appetizers (heirloom tomato salad with manchego cheese souffle and beef tartare) were very good but there was a serious error in our steak preparations. My filet was supposed to be medium rare and came medium to medium well. My husband's rare steak came out medium rare to medium-but he was hungry and so chose to eat it. The waiter stated that the lighting could play a role in the appearance of the steak preparation, but quickly agreed that my steak was very overcooked. He brought a cup of soup for me while I was waiting for a new steak and the new filet was perfectly done. The manager came by to apologize and they also removed the charge for my filet from our bill. Very well done on their part and the reason for the "very good" rating: good flavor and good service. Our sides: potato tart and sauteed mushrooms were delicious.

The setting is not intimate and is loud (you are in the open lobby area with a giant skylight and the windows to hotel rooms looking down on you). They do have a rustic, well planned decor, but it is not in any way cozy. The second caveat was the high price. The $50-60 a la carte steaks prices coupled with higher priced side dishes, quickly pushed our three person dinner to over $400 (if the filet had not been comped).

Autumn S, Manager at Urban Farmer, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your dining experience. Our team here is dedicated to making sure your experience is exceptional in every way and I'm very glad to hear that our mistake on your steak temperature was quickly remedied and that you enjoyed your steak and side dishes!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

When we went up to Portland last week, my husband reminded me that we shouldn't miss going to the Urban Farmer restaurant. He had heard the food there was really great.

So off we went; it's in the Nines Hotel. A little confusing to find it coz we only saw a hotel front desk when we got to the 8th floor(? I think it was the 8th) and there were no signs to direct us to the restaurant. It turned out the restaurant was behind that front desk wall.

My husband had the flatiron steak and scrambled eggs which he scarfed down as if he had not eaten anything for days. I had the crab omelet (with mushrooms and the hollandaise -- yummm) which was really to die for. A little pricey, but worth every bite.

And the ambience was really cool, like being in a farm.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was invited to a business dinner in a private room, so can’t speak to the main room.

The selection of stratospherically-priced steak options was nicely explained; I had a locally-sourced grass-fed rib-eye (a mere $60 or so) and it was excellent, although cut too thick, in the American style; and done very nicely. Some of the side vegetable dishes (mushroom and salads) were way better than the mainstream average.

It’s a perfectly OK really-expensive steakhouse, but you’re in Portland, which has a million funky Asian/fusion/Pacific-Northwest/brewpub/bistro options, most of which are going to offer way more interesting flavors at a fraction of the cost. But if your wallet is bulging and you’ve got that dead-cow urge…

The service was polished and erudite; flawless, really.

Been to Urban Farmer? Share your experiences!