“Good stay, but I'll choose another hotel next time.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport
Ranked #32 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Greer, South Carolina
“Good stay, but I'll choose another hotel next time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

Nice enough, but not special for the price. Next time I'll try a different hotel for same price or a few dollars more. Exceptionally courteous, efficient and helpful staff. Clean room, good bedding and linens. Room was crowded with 2 queens, and bathroom, sink and counter too small. Breakfast was not as good as others reviewers indicated. Yes, there were eggs, but mostly carb choices. Shuttle was convenient, and right on time all the time. Good location if you want to use this as a base and shuttle to airport, catch MAX into the city. We were not aware of airport noise, if there was any.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

booked the hotel for a week, stayed one night. Room costs very comparable to Hilton, Sheraton and Embassy Suites but are in need of updating and not as nice as comparable. Recent Renovations obvious but updated furniture & cabinets on old carpet and paint didn't work well, seems like local mom and pop hotel bought by chain My King non smoking room had a funky smell and updates not done as well as one would expect. Room had a jacuzzi bath tub, located in the middle of the sleep area (3 ft from bed) with the sink near the door outside bathroom. Bathroom is very small with tub and shower. Room smelled bad, like old feet, cigars and musky. Yuck. Contacted desk who were very nice and "fixed" this by spraying air cleaner into the AC unit. Room layout was not conducive to business travelers. Free breakfast was nothing special and just a bit above that of a bread and cereal type. No Restaurants within walking distance but within 2 miles. Heavy local traffic, no running paths, small gym (1 treadmill, 1 elliptical) and small pool off the lobby. Reward points are in Cat 1 (lowest in chain) and certainly not worth the price. Hilton provided a much nicer room, capabilities and was far better value (few dollars less) over all.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

A comfortable hotel, with a fatal flaw - every time a plane took off at PDX there was this horrible roar and my room shook. It was quiet only from 11pm to 4am, and that's just not enough sleep for me. I had planned to stay again in July but will find someplace else to stay (maybe just a little further away from the airport....)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2009

We stayed here before and after our trip away.
There was ample parking space for us to leave the car while we were away.
The shuttle service was prompt both in taking us to the airport and on the return (after a call for an airport pickup).
The room was clean and a good size.
The staff were very efficient and helpful.
The reason we gave this hotel just 3 stars is because of the following:
1) the airport noise – ok the hotel backs up to the runway so you expect it but other hotels we’ve been in have better sound proofing – for the same price range as this hotel.
2) The amount of cigarette smoke on the 4th floor. We requested a non-smoking room and were given one but the smell of smoke pervades throughout the entire floor. We found out that floors 1-3 are completely non-smoking floors.
3) The restaurant food for dinner was marginal for us. It was ok for breakfast (buffet style) though.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Pacific Northwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2008

Upon arrival I walked to the front desk and there were two people on the phone. Once the man got off the phone and he looked at me and didn't say anything. So, I told him my name. He rolled his eyes at me and said "AND???" And I said, I'm here for my reservation. Again, he looked at me, rolled his eyes and said "AND???." I said, I have booked a room for the night and i am here to check in. He looked up my name and then once the lady was off the phone turned me over to her. She was very kind and pleasant and after we were finished with the check in process, he turned to me and asked me how the roads were from where I traveled in from (it was snowing the past 7 days) and then asked if I needed a wake up call and if I needed the shuttle to airport in the morning. I said "yes, thank you. 6am for the 7 am shuttle." Well, that wake up call never came. Luckily I was up already, though only in thanks to the very uncomfortable beds and rather dirty rooms. There was spilled drinks down the side of the beds, nightstands. Additionally, I took my son to swim in the pool which was full of spit, hair, unidentified objects and grease. I wouldn't let my dog into that pool, let alone my son. In my opinion, HARVEY, the man at the front desk, needs to stop working with the public if he is going to treat weather and road-weary customers as such. He definitely has a malicious streak and I would steer clear of him, and only stay here if there is no other option in the area. This place does offer a breakfast in the morning, however, because we were so rushed to catch the shuttle, the driver of which was completely unwilling to wait a few extra minutes for us to get our things together (we were under 10 inches of snow. NO FLIGHTS were leaving anytime soon on this morning, still we needed to get to the airport to at least check in and check flight status.) The bartender/waitress in the restaurant was very kind and pleasant but unfortunately rudeness rules the day here with Harvey at the desk and he was back again first thing in the morning.

• Liked — the ability to leave car parked onsite when flying out of PDX
  • Disliked — HARVEY at at front desk, didn't give requested wake up call, rudeness of shuttle driver
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Klouri
Winston, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

My husband and I have been staying here for many years. We have five children who always travel with us, and Country Inns and Suites has always been very accommodating! The rooms are always spacious, clean and quiet. An ice machine is right down the hall. We enjoy the large, clean pool and spa, and the small weight room. When booking your reservation, ask about discounts...I believe that if you have AAA or work for the government, you can get a discount on your room.

We always stay here when we plan to fly out of Portland for a vacation. The hotel will keep our vehicle during our vacation, and only charges us for one night's stay! It is much cheaper to pay for a night's stay than to leave our vehicle at the PDX airport. Plus, they offer a free shuttle to and from the airport at any hour of the day or night! And the shuttle driver was SO nice!

We are always greeted with the heavenly scent of freshly baked cookies at the front desk upon our arrival. Coffee, hot chocolate and a variety of teas and fruit is available for free. They will also loan you books to read for free, and all that they ask is that the next time you are at a Country Inns and Suites hotel that you drop it back off for others to use!

The free breakfast is amazing! Our whole family enjoys the freshly-made waffles, eggs, sausage, a variety of cereals and fresh fruits, yogurt, bagels, muffins and more. If you want something different, you can wail till 9:00 till the restaurant opens and you can order right off the menu (at menu prices). One morning, our plane was going to leave before the free breakfast, so the restaurant staff actually packed all of us "sack breakfasts" to take to the airport!

The hotel also has free Internet and wi-fi, mini-fridges, microwaves, blow dryers and irons & ironing boards right in the room.

We will always stay at Country Inns and Suites when we are in Portland.

• Liked — Free Shuttle to Airport - Great Free Breakfast - Perfect Location - Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — The smell of cigarette smoke on the 4th floor
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vandy7
Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

This hotel is very close to the airport, which meant there were few restaurants nearby. The restaurant in the hotel is just average, with pretty slow service. One waiter was watching "Jeopardy" on television so couldn't be bothered to refill our water. We asked at the desk for a nice restaurant nearby. The clerk initially recommended "Red Robin," but when we indicated we'd rather try something else, she eventually gave us a sheet of paper with some restaurants and directions. It was helpful, but it didn't indicate the type of restaurant or cost. We also asked for directions once, and the clerk didn't seem to have any idea how to help us. She called over someone else, and he was helpful, as was the maintenance man who gave us directions another day. We were forced to take a smoking room, and it was very obvious that it was a smoking room. Also, the a/c was noisy. And the pillows are some of the worst I've ever had in a motel.

• Liked — Attractive grounds
  • Disliked — Pillows
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business