“Great place to get married!”

Queen Anne Victorian Mansion
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
Queen Anne Victorian Mansion
Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Kirkland, Washington, United States
“Great place to get married!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Queen Anne Victorian Mansion was the perfect place for our wedding – we wish we could do it all over again! The moment we saw Queen Anne, we knew it was the venue we wanted to get married at.

It was absolutely perfect with classy antique furniture inside and handsomely kept gardens. For those who haven’t visited the mansion and seen it in person, it has three stories. The first level is has a nice entrance with a small living room, a kitchen and another entrance to the gardens. The second story has three rooms that have historical artifacts dating back as far that the late 1800’s. The top story reminded me of a gentlemen’s club with a pool table (something my groomsmen and I enjoyed very much the day of the wedding) listening to Frank Sinatra and having a little Johnny Black to calm the nerves. I can’t say enough about how everyone fell in love with the vintage furniture and décor throughout the mansion.

Outside is well kept (something that was very important to us because we wanted to have an outdoor wedding). Being from Washington, we know sunny days are sometimes hard to come by in the Northwest, but the mansion has a large gazebo that gave us the feeling of an outdoor wedding without the worry of the weather.
The venue itself is reasonably priced but where they get you is in the cost of food and drinks and since you have to use their catering it gets pricy quickly. The food was amazing though and we still have people telling us how good the food was. We decided to go with Mediterranean since I am half Lebanese.

One thing we decided to do is hire a wedding coordinator. At our initial consultation we were told that the venue does provide a day of coordinator, but that it only covered standard things for the day of the wedding. A few coordinators were provided by Queen Anne, but decided to go with a family friend who came highly recommended.

There were definitely stressful times throughout this entire wedding planning process, but all in all, our wedding coordinator and the staff at Queen Anne made the day of perfect. We had our coordinator deal with Queen Anne throughout the planning and day of process and everything went smoothly. My wife and I didn’t have to worry about a thing and we can honestly say that we wish we could re-live the day again and again.

The staff was very attentive and responsive to all emails and other communications and made the whole process seem easy and enjoyable. They answered all my questions and did a great job at offering accommodations and changes to make everything perfect.

Overall I could not recommend a better place to get married at... it is truly a was the perfect place to get married and you’ll be thankful you did when you see the photos that capture settings you won ‘t find anywhere else. This venue has everything a wedding needs: elegance, indoor/outdoor space, beautiful grounds, tons of parking, and great service. I’d highly recommend them for any wedding or special event.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sal H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oregon
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I toured the facility while looking at wedding venues and absolutely feel in love. When I got home I saw multiple bad reviews but they were mainly by the same people. It left me devastated so I continued looking for a venue. Nothing compared though and I kept finding myself coming back to the queen. I finally talked to Deb and expressed my concerns about the bad reviews. She was thankful that I brought up my concerns and very forthcoming. She gave me multiple brides to contact so I could get an unbiased opinion. They all gave raving reviews so I decided to book the venue. We'll see how it goes.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathom86
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I got married here and had a terrible experience - similar to the previous reviews.

I met with Deb and she was very nice a professional in our first consultation. We were blown away by the beautiful grounds and the charm of the property. Deb showed us cards of brides and grooms who had wonderful wedding experiences and I thought I found the perfect venue. Unfortunately, I think Deb is able to charm brides at the first meeting and then her professionalism literally ceased once we paid our deposit. She was unavailable, rude, and unorganized.

I worked with a wedding coordinator, Faith (I think that was her name), from the Queen Anne Victorian Mansion and she handled all of the day of details. She seemed nice but almost all of our phone calls involved her baby screaming and her stating that she needed to take breaks to check on her child. I never met my coordinator in person and we spoke only via phone. One week before the wedding my wedding coordinator called me and said she could no longer be my coordinator as she "had a party to attend" and assured me she would make sure another coordinator would handle my special day. This was extremely unprofessional.

Be aware that the mansion does not allow you to bring ANY food or drinks... not even snacks for the wedding party. This meant we had to purchase Deb's AWFUL sandwiches for our wedding party at over $6.00 per sandwich which were very poor quality. It was disappointing as my family and I had wanted to show our gratitude to the wedding party by providing a nice meal prior to the wedding. Deb took this opportunity away from us and provided very cheap quality of food.

Deb charged my family an extra $200.00 because we showed up to the venue (the day of the wedding) 20 minutes earlier than our 5pm time slot on the day of the wedding. This charge was in addition to the $2000 we spent on this venue. The first thing Deb did when we showed on the day of my wedding was come up to my mother and I and rudely inform us that she would be adding $200.00. I don't think Deb is aware of social graces and how to be professional. Luckily, I have a wonderful mother who told me that it was not worth stressing over.

Our day of "coordinator" was a disaster. She did not know what she was doing and our best man informed her very firmly that she was to leave my fiancé and I alone as she was constantly asking us questions that we had already covered with the previous wedding coordinator and Deb. I am so grateful that our amazing family and friends stepped in to tell Deb and the "coordinator" to leave us alone and shielded us from them. After our wedding we heard many horrible stories of how Deb had been rude to our guests and wedding party.

The mansion ran out of champagne and wine after about an hour, even though we paid for more than enough to cover the entire reception.

The grounds and setting were beautiful. Once the wedding started we were so busy with friends, guests, and celebrating we forgot the stress of the day. Our guests loved the grounds and gardens and the lights were gorgeous.

Overall, we were able to disconnect from Deb and her staff's awful unprofessionalism and enjoy our wedding ceremony and reception but ONLY because of our family and friends jumping in to shield us from Deb.

Do not get married here unless the mansion has new owners.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Kelsey D

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Reviewed 17 October 2012

The owner (Deb) of the Queen Anne Victorian Mansion (QAVM) is dishearteningly unbearable to work with. I wish we had seen these reviews prior to booking the QAVM for our wedding as we would have taken a much different approach to working with Deb through the process. It’s unfortunate that the experience with Deb is this excruciatingly painful as the grounds are so beautiful and provide a wonderful atmosphere for what could be a dream wedding. Every person in our wedding party that interacted with her (even the nicest, sweetest of our friends/family who were determined to “win-her-over” and have a positive interaction no matter what) have commented on how horrible she was to work with.

I don’t feel it’s necessary to detail out everything that went wrong, but overall this is what we experienced:

1. Rules change frequently depending on Deb’s mood. One day or minute she will tell you one thing and the next day/minute her rules have already changed. The contact was merely a “loose guideline” and several “house rules” made an appearance throughout the process that we didn’t know about initially (and always seemed to serve Deb’s wavering habits).
2. Deb is extremely unprofessional in written and verbal correspondence. I’m still flabbergasted by some of the things she thought were alright to write/say to me, our family, our friends, and our guests. She is also unreliable in responses to questions/inquiries. It took several follow-up attempts and often would take weeks to get an answer.
3. Deb is over controlling. We had to describe in miniscule detail every minor thing we wanted to do with decorations, etc. Her reaction to our normal plans was oddly irregular and improper. Without being there the day of to decorate, we wouldn’t ultimately know in detail what would look best or what decisions would need to be made. These were merely ideas for our decorating team to utilize.
4. The inclusion of their “wedding coordinator” was one of the selling pieces for us at the mansion. However, we were actually forbidden to correspond with her until the rehearsal dinner or day of our wedding. We were also told the coordinator couldn’t make any decisions. It is hard to properly prepare a coordinator that you can’t talk to before the event. (The coordinator was actually very nice.)
5. Although the grounds are overall beautiful, the white fences are moldy and the roofs of the house, gazebos, and white tents are covered in a plethora of debris which is highly unattractive.
6. Several items that were discussed and agreed upon to happen on the day of the wedding, DIDN’T. Deb is very unorganized and items had to be discussed/answered multiple times.

As a bride/groom, you want your experience with your vendors to be precise, easy, and stress free. This portion of our wedding experience added SO much stress it was horrendous! The only way we could handle it was with help from our friends and family who shielded us from Deb’s craziness (oh the stories we have heard afterwards…).

If you are set on having the QAVM as your wedding venue – PLEASE proceed with caution and be sure to have EVERYTHING in writing. Be prepared to be very flexible as Deb changes her mind frequently and it will put wrenches into your plans (even on the day of your wedding). Please learn from our experience – it will at least be something positive that comes from it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PinkDMB
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Could possibly be the worst experience I have ever had as a vendor at a wedding. At the end of the evening, which happenned to end an hour and a half early at the owners request or demand I really felt for the couple getting married. The overall organisation and schedule of this venue is a complete shambles..Not sure what else to say. Guests spent most of the evening wasting time going back and forth to he Gazebo and the house which could have been eliminated with better organisation. Ceremony was in the Gazebo, Buffet inside the house which is very awkward for elderly guets to contend with stairs whilst trying to hold their plates to make the treck back to the Gazebo.Then after dinner the owner/staff expected me to tell guests to go back to the house again for the cake cutting...then after that return back to the Gazebo for dancing..Common sense would have told me to have the cake set up in the Gazebo to prevent guests having to walk back and forth to the house on multiple occasions. I went to the couple and suggested we move the cake to the gazebo to prevent wasting time so we could get in more dancing as the evening had already been cut short an hour by the owner for no apparent reason...? The bride and groom insisted that they bring the cake to the Gazebo as they did not want their elderly guests to have to make their way back to the house.
After toasts and cake cutting tables were moved to begin dancing and the photographers had snuck off to take some family pics whilst the room (Gazebo) was changed around. I offered to assist in moving tables and chairs to move things along and was rudely told "No I'll handle this" , by an elderly woman who I've since found out is the owner (Deb), and possibly the most miserable woman I've ever met. When the dance floor was ready she then insisted to me (the DJ) that I start the dancing immediately as time was running out. it was now around 7:30pm with the event ending at 9pm as opposed to the original 10pm as I had in my contract.
I explained to her that the photographers weren't around they were taking pictures of family members and I'd like them to be present for the first dance..the most important pictures at a wedding. She said I'll handle them, "JUST START THE DANCING !!"...This coming from the venue owner who was obviously in a hurry to wrap things up and get home for the evening. As a professional I found her attitude and demeaner appalling...I was not the only vendor who shared this opinion.
When the photographers returned a few moments later the first dance begun. I was about 20 minutes into the dancing with the dance floor full when I was told by the owner..."We're done at 8:30pm".
I said OK,...I disappointing told the bride/groom this and the wedding finished 20 minutes later. Her conduct from the monent I arrived to when I left was appalling..There's nothing else I can say.
I was embarrassed not only for the guests, but for the bride/groom as there day was cut short by 90 minutes.
Whatever you do, stay clear of this place.
You've been warned..!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Eric B
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I got married Aug 2011...The mansion was beautiful but the owner was innapropriate and rude to me (the bride) on my wedding day. While I was waiting for my dad to come get me to walk down the isle (minutes before I was to be married) Deb the owner chose this time to approach me about hard alcohol in my dressing room. So instead of me walking down the isle excited to see my soon to be husband I was telling my dad about what happened,super stressed. She took my moment away from me and I will never get it back...I think about it daily. I have never in my life wrote a review but I just cant get over this. Now I will say maybe she did previously tell me no alcohol was allowed BUT my Bridesmaids did bring it in AND it was the last thing on my mind!! Deb should not have approached me before walking down the isle...she could have found a better time or just talked to my wedding party NOT the bride. I also had the worst coordinator assigned, I cant remember her name because I really never spoke with her. (Purple hair is all I remember) Can not for the life of me figure out what it is she does?? But returning calls/texts was not part of her job since she has a day job and made it clear I was not a priority! Thank god for an awesome DJ that did her job for her!! He made sure everything was taking care of including making sure we (bride/Groom) ate and kept asking if I needed anything. BTW..Frank from Bust a Move is the BEST DJ ever and made my wedding!!! We met with Deb a week before our wedding to discuss what we wanted and I am not sure why since she didn't listen to a thing we said. We wanted the over flow seating in the yard so when people came late it wouldnt interupt the wedding but when I walked down the isle she had out the seats in the ISLE ouside the gazebo (looked way TACKY)! She didn't have the beers at the bar we requested INCLUDING the GROOMS favorite beer (that he had been drinking in his room getting ready). Also the bar RAN out of beer at our wedding...so no one could order beer the last 1 1/2 hr of the wedding. A few other things: We were suppose to have unlimited lemonaid but we never saw that. The glass was not suppose to be in the Gazebo but it was. No one was suppose to be allowed up into my room and Deb said she would make sure of that...and Sooo many guests made there way up and saw me in my dress before walking down the isle a couple even saw me in my bra while getting ready. Grrrr...I could go on but I am just getting upset thinking about it. Good Luck to you Bride's if you get married here. Watch out for Deb and Purple...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank trisha m
Scappoose, Oregon
Reviewed 24 March 2010

This has to be one of the most beautiful Christmas light displays I have ever seen. They wrap lights all over the huge trees, along the fence line, it's spectacular!! Always wanted to marry here during the holiday months.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank SCRAPBOOKINGFAN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Portlander Inn
Portlander Inn
#85 of 141 in Portland
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Red Lion Hotel on the River

Been to Queen Anne Victorian Mansion? Share your experiences!