“DISGUSTING,SMOKY”

Ranked #118 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Alvarado, Texas, United States
“DISGUSTING,SMOKY”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Dont be fooled by the refreshed logo on motel 6 logo it means soaked down with fabreeze. I stayed there because of location. Turn your bathroom ventalator on 24/7 helps keep the smoke from the other rooms out.
There is a mcdonalds across the street and several good local places to eat.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dike H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
vancouver
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I was excited that this place was in the SE and right next to Hopworks, so I took a risk staying here. I thought 'how bad could it really be?' Well, it was by far the worst place I've ever stayed. My non-smoking room was VERY smoky - I'm pretty sure the air from other smoking rooms just circulates in through the bathroom vents. All of the clothes in my suitcase reeked of cigarette smoke when I left. I counted over 20 cigarette burns on the BLANKET (adding to at least 8 patches to cover additional burns). There were also burns all over the bathroom counters, on the tv, the desk, carpet, etc! When I went to the front desk to cancel the rest of my reservation, the staff were casually talking about finding needles and guns in one of the rooms. And on the night I stayed, the guests in the room next to mine got into a furniture-throwing yelling match that started at 3:00am. Such an awful experience!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angela c
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Staying at this hotel was truly a nightmare! The first room we were given smelled like someone had just smoked three packs of cigarettes and then shut the door. Also, the six or seven flies buzzing around the bed were disgusting! I immediately called the front desk and we ended up in a disabled room with one bed instead of two, and the only improvement was that it vaguely smelled of stale cigarettes rather than reeked. As we were switching rooms, the door flew open right next to us, and a drunk guy with no limbs or clothes started to scream at the blowsy woman in doorway that she was "no damn good" - to which she replied "Why you keep comin' back then?" Lovely. Then the drunk guy proceeded to pass out in the parking lot for about an hour. We really had no choice but to stay at this point because the hotel room had already been paid for by a friend. The room we had to endure for two nights had a filthy bedspread and such a crusty blanket that we actually had to request additional sheets to use as blankets during our stay. All during the evenings we could hear the drunks and the tweekers yelling and raising hell throughout the hotel. It was truly a horrible hotel experience, and a great disappointment after staying in some very fine and clean Hotel 6's across the country. The owner or manager of this Hotel 6 should not be allowed to be a part of the Hotel 6 chain, and they should be ashamed of themselves in running such a shoddy, disgusting hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank DeAnna2002
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We stayed here our last night of a road trip so just wanted something cheap and easy. We stayed at a few Motel 6s on the trip and they were great. This place is disgusting!

The air conditioning was broken. The phone was broken. The screen on the window was broken. The comforter had cigarette burn holes in it. There were stains on the carpet. And after a hot and disgusting night (we slept in our sleeping bags) we couldn't shower because we had no towels. The service staff was terrible and couldn't tell us anything about the city (including how to get downtown).

There was a pool but it was uneven so the water ran more to one side. The water was so cloudy that it looked like a Mai Tai and you couldn't even see the steps leading into it. I wouldn't even stay here for one night - we should have kept driving!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyTraveler9_10
Eastern Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This motel is inexpensive, but centrally located, and both times we stayed there, the motel, parking lot, and rooms were clean, and the staff friendly and helpful. They have coffee in the lobby, but McDonalds is just down the street with much better coffee. They do charge for high speed internet - $3/day, and the pool is outdoors so we didn't use it, but it looked clean.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donnamay55
denver
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I have stayed in 5 star hotels before, and though this one is far from that, it was not as bad for me as the former reviewers. The strip club next door freaked me out a little, but I found out Portland is full of them. I didn't notice any seedy people wandering about and the club seemed empty whenever we drove by, even though we stayed there saturday and sunday evenings. The room was clean, did not smell like smoke (though there was an ashtray with a non-smoking symbol on it - go figure), and the air/heating unit worked like a charm. All of the staff was very friendly. What I was looking for was a cheap, clean place to rest my head while wandering around Portland, and that is what I got. We did stay in the front of the motel, away from the strip club, so maybe that is why it seemed much more quiet than other reviewers. All I can say is you get what you pay for.
Pros: Cheap, clean, close to downtown and parks, undergoing remodeling/updating
Cons: No refrigerator, microwave, shampoo/cond - very bare bones room.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — lack of amenities
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seoul
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Whew, this place was horrible.

Non-smoking room smelled like a bar. TV was melted on top from numerous cigarettes and what looked like spoons.

First night the meth addicts next door were loud and rowdy until 3 am and my wife was understandably scared (her first time in America and an American motel).

Got new room the next day and while waiting to talk to the desk lady a man was checking in and stated that he didn't want anyone knowing he was their, especially the police!

Turns out the motel has a live-in Portland police officer which is reassuring yet disturbing at the same time.

Recommend the rooms directly atop the office as this is where the police officer lives. Our room was between his and my brother's and was much quieter.

There is a strip club next door.

Bonus....next to the strip club is a really great brew pub that has a children's play room. Excellent beer and food.

Definitely don't stay here unless you like 'Permanent Residents' and shifty characters doing questionable activities into the wee hours.

• Liked — Brew pub 2 doors down
  • Disliked — The guests
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)