“Great Location..Great Staff...Great Time!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #57 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Collingswood, New Jersey, USA
“Great Location..Great Staff...Great Time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

We were at the Red Lion for a convention for our Speech and Debate Honorary. Having a ton of college kids in a hotel an be hard I am sure but the staff was great. We were treated well. Only had one small issue with an elevator not working (I saved the housekeeper from being trapped by simply pusing the down button) but I think the elevator was overwhelmed and just got stuck.
Security was nice...the servers at our banquet were great!
I had spectacular views of the Columbia River and Mt. Hood from my balcony.

I mentioned great location...we got in at 1am. After traveling all day. We were starving! Thank God for the Denny's across the street. There were also several other restaurants nearby as well as Target which was handy for all the items we managed to forget!

Overall, I can't wait to go back to Portland and the Red Lion

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Klamath Falls, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

Before you book this hotel check to see if there's an Amway Convention booked too. We liked the hotel and first impression was great it was clean and the staff were great and the place was very nice but there was an Amway convention and we had zero sleep. Four grumpy kids 500 miles to drive and a wife that had no sleep either, really ruined our trip. They partied in the hall all night and well into the morning slamming doors, loud talking laughing and super rude. I called security twice after asking them to stop myself but that was only a very short tem solutions. I will never ever go here again or any hotel that has a hyped-up Amway ra ra session. We've travelled all over the world and this was the worst stay in a hotel that we have ever had. The hotel was good but buyer beware of who else may be there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank charliepatton
JTaffin, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Guest feedback is important to us and we take it seriously. Your comments will help us provide a more comfortable stay to all of our guests.

Yesterday when we talked on the phone I apologized for the noise caused by other guests and for our inability to control it to an acceptable level in the area of the hotel where you were staying. I truly am sorry that your experience was less than perfect. As I mentioned yesterday, we have refunded your credit card for the charges associated with the two rooms that you rented.

I am disappointed that this occurred. We pride ourselves on our customer service and will learn from this event.

Regards
John Taffin
Vice President and General Manager
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

We booked the Best Western Inn At the Meadows online only to leave minutes after seeing the hotel room. Just awful. The hotel even reimbursed us our stay even though it was past the cancellation time. We assumed this has happened before.

We drove a few minutes down the I-5 to the Red Lion on the River at Jantzen Beach. Great hotel! Large, welcoming lobby and friendly front desk staff. Beautiful room (although the bathtub was the only thing not updated in an obviously major renovation). Great amenities and in-house restaurant.

My only complaint was the man I spoke with when I called to check on availability after we ditched the Best Western. It had been a long day of driving only to find the Best Western so dumpy, and I guess my tone sounded a bit cranky. The man said the hotel only had one room available (a Standard room, with two Queen beds) and was quite terse with me. I said we'd take it and he transfered me over to Reservations. I asked the woman what they had available and there were, in fact, other rooms to chose from (including a King room which is what we preferred). Upon arriving, the front desk gave us a choice of several different King rooms on different floors - all with a river view! Guess the guy I talked too was having a cranky day too.

Great hotel, great location for travellers, great value!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBug021
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

I am a program trainer and travel extensively three weeks a month. My Hotel experiences run the gambit from "never again" to I'll be back ... with my family. This Red Lion always has it all going on for a mid star location. They have really changed it up over the past year. A fresh look to the eateries, public areas and especially the guest rooms, good beds &. GREAT views.... Oh.. love the free parking. The service is always on par with 4 star locations and the AV service provded by the in-house company, PSAV is second to none. I am always happy when my corporate travel person books our events at this location.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Wylthcyr
Astoria, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean. The pool area is a great feature, sitting right on the river with a nice view. I would reccomend this hotel over and over again. Only downfall is that it is fairly close to the airport and is a little noisy because of this. It didn't bother my fiance and I, but I can see that it could be bothersome to someone.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
North Van
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayed here with family for kid's dance competition weekend. I phoned Friday morning, talked to Manny and asked the hotel to put a rollaway bed in our room. When we arrived that night there was no staff or trolley for the luggage, we had to walk about 200 meters with our bags from the lobby carrying everything, NO rollaway bed was in the room. I phoned the front desk, talked to Steven, and he said they had no record of my request for another bed. Steven told me he could do nothing for us, the hotel was full and we couldnt even get another room. We had one person sleep on the floor, housekeeping staff were kind enough to supply lots of extra blankets

Next morning I spoke to the front desk staff supervisor, and he said he probably wouldnt be able to get us a rollaway bed. I went back to our room and saw the hotel maid in the hallway. Nice lady. I mentioned our probem with the rollaway bed and she found us a rollaway bed and had it in our room an hour later.

Housekeeping staff here are great, front desk management may be a problem.

Overall a nice clean place, decent 3-4 star hotel

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stay at this Red Lion every summer. It is nice to take a break from a stressful job and decompress on a balcony overlooking the river. The rooms are very clean, the beds are comfortable and the atmosphere is relaxing. The suites are nice and the food service is very good also. At dusk it's nice to walk along the river front as the lights are coming on in Vancouver across the Columbia. I'll be back for a little R&R this summer.

• Stayed August 2010