“Conflicting thoughts regarding this hotel.”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #56 of 143 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Burlington, Washington
“Conflicting thoughts regarding this hotel.”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I hadn't stayed in a Red Lion Hotel in a long time as i thought they were a little run down. However, I read the review on the Jantzen Beach location and the description sounded like a nice, quiet location next to the river. I guess I should have done a little more homework to check it's location. I pulled in and it's right next to the I-5 bridge. Great. I love road noise! Not only that, but it's a huge hotel. Oh well, you can't be right all the time. So I check in and asked if there were any rooms available with a water view. The girl checking me in said that she was sorry, but there were none available. Now the parking lot was full at this time so i assumed the hotel was full. Okay, so she gave me my key and sent me on my way. When i got to my room and looked out the balcony window, yep, there's Interstate 5 about 75 yards away from me. This was not going to work. I walked back down and politely asked if there were any other rooms available as i didn't want to listen to traffic noise all night. This hotel is pretty long so i asked if there were any other rooms at the other end of the building. She said they were renovating the rooms at that end, but she put me on the bottom floor facing the pool and the river. It's not exactly on the river as this section of the building is tucked back in behind the pool. It felt like I was walking into a basement because your going down from the main floor. The other thing i noticed was that my room was surrounded by conference rooms on that level. I'm thinking, "great, i'm going to have a hundred people showing up at these rooms in the morning". Oh well, I'll be up anyway i thought. It was a nice, clean room with a very comfortable bed and appeared somewhat modern. Early evening I took a stroll out to the rivers edge on the walkway to see the view. Nice view, not spectacular, but nice. I then looked up at the water view rooms to see how many had their lights on to see how many rooms were occupied. Only about 20% of the rooms had their lights on so I assume that most of the other rooms were empty. I then walked out front and noticed that the parking lot was also very empty. I came to the conclusion that most of the people there were attending a conference and that the hotel was not booked as the agent told me. I did book online through one of the major travel website and didn't pay their normal room rate. I would have preferred it if the agent told me that the standard room i booked does not qualify for a water view and is an upgrade, instead of telling me that those rooms were booked. Best to be honest! Overall, nice room though odd being next to all the smaller conference rooms. Wouldn't stay there again just based on it's location and I prefer smaller hotels. Also under the PDX flight path, but it didn't bother me. Just not for me.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank huntfish1967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I had a nice long weekend stay at this riverfront hotel. I enjoyed walking along the river and hanging out by the pool. Check the prices of the drinks served by the pool. They include room services charges and I felt that I was over charged for my iced tea.

The walk to Jantzen Beach mall is a little bit longer than it seems but is doable. My room was clean and comfortable. At check in, my TV wasn’t working and I had to call twice to get it fixed. But the man that came to fix it was very nice. There was a rather large conference in house and staff seemed rushed off their feet but they were still friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
It is such a pleasure to see individuals who were able to enjoy our surroundings as well as our amenities. Thank you so much for your business and for taking the time to let others know of your experience.

We also appreciate your insights on the poolside service - we will look into it to be certain our team are managing this service properly.

Again, thank you for your business or for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers!

Reviewed 6 June 2012 via mobile

Not only is hotel located right off interstate. It it is also on the airport flight path creating quite abut if noise. Military fighter jets were buzzing the hotel each morning of our stay making crazy amounts of noise and shaking us crom bed Otherwise hotel was nice. Staff were very friendly and beds were comfy. Views of river and walking path along the river were nice.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Tallcool1225
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of the bed and cleanliness of the room. Given our location is on the airport's flight path we do have the occasional military flight --- but typically they are mid afternoon. We are sorry that you experienced earlier than this typical time.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and we hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you in the coming year.

Happy Travels!

Vancouver BC
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We have been staying in downtown Portland, eating in the Pearl district. This time, we had a long drive, and chose the Red Lion to be "in and out" quickly. We got a very good rate, an excellent room with a view over the pool and river, and a nice little balcony. We noticed the airplane flight path, but soon forgot about it. Rather than drive to a restaurant, we chose the in-house "Bar and Grill", got a table by the window, and were in heaven. My wife's Martini was ordered "dirty", and was excellent, while my house red was very satisfying. We ordered burgers and fries, and while no great culinary challenge, they were perfectly to our liking.
The Red Lion Jantzen Beach - what a delightful surprise. We are sure to return soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room, away from the bridge.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 8Peter
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you for taking time from you travels to tell others of your experience here at Red Lion Hotel on the River - Portland, Oregon. I will be certain each member of the team in our restaurant, Jantzen Beach Bar & Grill see the specific comments you made -- as a martini drinker myself, if you know how you want your martini, there is little more satisfying than getting as you ordered it! We have a great team in the lounge and Chef Lorenzo has put together a terrific pool of individuals in our kitchen.

From looking at your experiences it is clear you travel and we also know that when someone travels today there are many choices...on behalf of our entire team at Red Lion Hotel on the River I want to say thank you for selecting us. We do hope to have the honor of being of service to you on your next trip to Portland, Oregon.

Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Perfect area, beautiful waterfront with a nice walking path around the small island. We brought our 9 month old daughter along, the rooms were very big and very clean, so it was nice for her to crawl around and play. The food at the bar and grill was excellent with a beautiful view of the Columbia River. The hotel was quiet as well! We wished we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Even if it's 2 people get a room with 2 queen beds! The rooms are HUGE!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica T
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
I want to thank you, on behalf of our entire team at Red Lion Hotel on the River for taking the time to let others know of your experience here in Portland, Oregon.

I read your review and it put a smile on my face! This is a wonderful area for family and we are so glad you agree and that you were able to share it not only with your spouse, but with your 9 months old!

It goes without saying that we know there are myriad alternatives to consider when selecting a hotel and all of us at Red Lion Hotel on the River are honored that you chose us.

I, as well as every associate here look forward to the pleasure of serving you and your family on your next visit to Portland Oregon!

Oregon
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We had an unexpected trip to Portland in December 2010. This hotel had good rates and was cooperative with our credit card needs. Check in was easy, and we found the double queen room to be enormous and very comfortable. It was clean and overall a great experience. We stayed at another Red Lion the next night in downtown Portland, and oh how I missed this one! Worlds apart.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TamiJo42
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments! We are so glad you decided to stay with us and look forward to being "your Red Lion of choice" in the near future!

Kindest regards,

Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Short drive to Portland convention Center. Rooms with fridge & microwave. Safeway across the street. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Best Red Lion yet: Jantzen Beach.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ValChris77
Thank you for taking time to let others know how much you enjoyed your time at Red Lion Hotel on the River. As the saying goes there is always something happening on the river and we are pleased you were able to take in some time to enjoy your time with us.

The next time your travels take you to the Portland Oregon area we hope to be your Red Lion of choice!

Director of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!