“hotel is gem, Great location on the river Columbia”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #56 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed in Red Lion Hotel on the River- Jantzen Beach hotel during attending a conference there. It is located on the scenic Columbia River. The hotel is close to downtown Portland. It has all attractions, like major businesses. Supermarkets, shopping complex are very nearby.
It is 15 minutes from the Portland International Airport, it provides on-call courtesy shuttle services to and from the Airport. The view of the Columbia river from the hotel is amazing. Almost all rooms have great view of the river. The whole hotel is non-smoking. All rooms have free wireless Internet access, which are easy to handle!!
The hotel has restaurant, cafe and lounge, swimming pool, fitness center, tennis court, business center, convention center and room service. Numerous rooms of different categories are available all of them offers refrigerators and microwaves and a private balcony attached with the room. This hotel Red Lion offers free parking. It has a Nightclub which operates on Friday and Saturday nights in the lounge where you can dance the night away to a variety of dance tunes to let your weeks' stresses fall away.
The people work at the front desk is very nice and helpful.
The rooms are very spacious and pretty clean. bathroom was big and very clean. The toiletries were excellent, The towels and toiletries were amply supplied. Staying in this hotel is very comfortable, and not very expensive. It is very affordable so I guess it's you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: The rooms facing to the rivers are excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

On behalf of our entire team let me say thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us. When your travels bring you back to Portland, Oregon we hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you again.

Happy travels.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We've stayed here several times, it's my favorite hotel! They upgraded us to a family suite for free just because we had an extra child & dog with us. The room & view was amazing! The staff was very friendly & helpful with directions. They have a great grassy pet area. The pool area has nice tables & chairs in semi-private little glassed in covered coves so we could watch the kids in the pool while sitting at the table enjoying the view of the doc & river without the wind or rain. It was so relaxing. And you can get bar service at the pool/spa area. The gas fireplace in our room after swimming all day was wonderful as well. We'll definitely be back again soon! ;)

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

On behalf of our entire team thank you for taking the time from your day to let others know of your experience with us. It is a great honor to have families choose us again and again as their place to enjoy each other and the hotels amenities.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland Oregon and having the honor of being of service to you and your family.

Happy travels!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

The room was great and the view of the columbia River and the I-5 bridge was sublime. I was wholly satisfied and would recommend anyone to this hotel. Only downside was no continental breakfast to be had.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel B
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

On behalf of all of us at Red Lion Hotel on the River, I would like thank you for your kind review. We are fully aware that in todays market there are many hotels from which to choose and thank you for selecting our hotel.

When you next are in the Portland Oregon area please allow us the opportunity to be of service. And as to the comment to no continental breakfast to be found, we do have what I consider to be some of the finest breakfast offerings in the city. Jantzen Beach Bar & Grill offers delicious homemade Granola and an large array of Benedicts.... and while it isn't a Continental Breakfast per se, our offerings in the restaurant are, I assure you, scrumptious and we are open every day at 7am for all 3 meals.

Again, thank you for your time and for letting others know of your experience here in Portland, Oregon and we look forward to seeing you on your next excursion.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I am in the tourism/travel industry so I think I am more critical than anyone. We just returned from a 6 night stay. I cannot say enough great things about this property. It was very clean - extremely large rooms - fridge and micro. in our room which was good to bring home all the fantastic Portland leftovers - VERY friendly staff in ALL areas. Yes you hear the planes starting around 8 - not a big deal- my husband LOVES jets and to see the F15's go over was an added bonus - LOVED our stay here and would stay again in a heart beat - thanks for the perfect stay! Oh and the gardens were well kept up and the pool and hottub were the perfect temp!

Room Tip: The view of the water & pool were a plu s- the parking lot would not have been as pretty!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori Y
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

On behalf our entire team at Red Lion Hotel on the River I say thank you. Thank you for reviewing our property with such kind words about the hotel, the location and the terrific group of individuals we have working here.

We know there are numerous choices to stay in the greater Portland area; especially when you are staying for 6 nights, so we want to say thank you for choosing us and allowing us to be of service to you.

When you next come to our lovely city we do hope to have the opportunity to take care of you and your family.

Happy travels!

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We recently tried to check into this Hotel but the beds are incredibly high we could not stay because we have two young children. If one of them fell off the be they would be injured. I am not sure why the beds are on tall boxes but it does not work for young children. The young man that checked us in was wonderful during checkin and very helpful and apologetic when we decided not to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Our team at Red Lion Hotel on the River appreciate the comments you had with regard to the height of the beds. Sitting approximately 30 inches above the ground does make them a bit higher than the normal bed height and add to that our fabulous pillow top mattresses you do have a bit more vertical height perhaps than the regular bedding. While we haven't had this comment in the past, it is something we will review and perhaps have a solution in mind for the guest beyond having them check out of our hotel! II know your family would have thoroughly enjoyed the location along the river and of course our pool, tennis court and kids menu in Jantzen Beach Bar & Grill.

It was good to hear that the front office team was able to handle you checking out to your satisfaction but as stated before, the best outcome would have been your ability to stay with us!

Again, thank you for your overview of the hotel. As your family becomes the age that the bed height is not a concern we do hope we'll have the honor of being of service to you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2012

I hadn't stayed in a Red Lion Hotel in a long time as i thought they were a little run down. However, I read the review on the Jantzen Beach location and the description sounded like a nice, quiet location next to the river. I guess I should have done a little more homework to check it's location. I pulled in and it's right next to the I-5 bridge. Great. I love road noise! Not only that, but it's a huge hotel. Oh well, you can't be right all the time. So I check in and asked if there were any rooms available with a water view. The girl checking me in said that she was sorry, but there were none available. Now the parking lot was full at this time so i assumed the hotel was full. Okay, so she gave me my key and sent me on my way. When i got to my room and looked out the balcony window, yep, there's Interstate 5 about 75 yards away from me. This was not going to work. I walked back down and politely asked if there were any other rooms available as i didn't want to listen to traffic noise all night. This hotel is pretty long so i asked if there were any other rooms at the other end of the building. She said they were renovating the rooms at that end, but she put me on the bottom floor facing the pool and the river. It's not exactly on the river as this section of the building is tucked back in behind the pool. It felt like I was walking into a basement because your going down from the main floor. The other thing i noticed was that my room was surrounded by conference rooms on that level. I'm thinking, "great, i'm going to have a hundred people showing up at these rooms in the morning". Oh well, I'll be up anyway i thought. It was a nice, clean room with a very comfortable bed and appeared somewhat modern. Early evening I took a stroll out to the rivers edge on the walkway to see the view. Nice view, not spectacular, but nice. I then looked up at the water view rooms to see how many had their lights on to see how many rooms were occupied. Only about 20% of the rooms had their lights on so I assume that most of the other rooms were empty. I then walked out front and noticed that the parking lot was also very empty. I came to the conclusion that most of the people there were attending a conference and that the hotel was not booked as the agent told me. I did book online through one of the major travel website and didn't pay their normal room rate. I would have preferred it if the agent told me that the standard room i booked does not qualify for a water view and is an upgrade, instead of telling me that those rooms were booked. Best to be honest! Overall, nice room though odd being next to all the smaller conference rooms. Wouldn't stay there again just based on it's location and I prefer smaller hotels. Also under the PDX flight path, but it didn't bother me. Just not for me.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank huntfish1967
Reviewed 6 June 2012 via mobile

Not only is hotel located right off interstate. It it is also on the airport flight path creating quite abut if noise. Military fighter jets were buzzing the hotel each morning of our stay making crazy amounts of noise and shaking us crom bed Otherwise hotel was nice. Staff were very friendly and beds were comfy. Views of river and walking path along the river were nice.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Tallcool1225
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of the bed and cleanliness of the room. Given our location is on the airport's flight path we do have the occasional military flight --- but typically they are mid afternoon. We are sorry that you experienced earlier than this typical time.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and we hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you in the coming year.

Happy Travels!