Red Lion Hotel on the River
US$358
US$348
Hotwire.com
1,235 results
All reviewsjantzen beachtennis courtshayden islandflight pathbit datedhotel restauranteasy accessroom was largetwo queen bedsfront desk stafffree parkingportland areaconferencefreewaybalconiesshuttlemt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed at the Red Lion Jantzen Beach for 2 nights in June 2013.

The good:
The staff is great. I was greeted warmly checking in/out of the hotel. And the process was fast and painless.

The location is good. It's right off I-5 which made it easy to find. There's a large mall very close by, although it's under construction so there's not a lot of stores available just yet. There's a Target though, which carries pretty much everything you need while travelling.
The hotel is right by the river so an evening stroll was just lovely for my family.

Free parking, free wifi. No breakfast included though.

The bad:
The hallways and my room had this old building smell to it. It bothers some people but not others. Me, I am sensitive to smells and it was a major turn off for me. My wife thinks I'm too picky though.

The housekeeping needs some improvement. In my room (457) the lighting fixer above the sink has stains on it. It looks like somebody shook a bottle of coke really hard and opened it right underneath the fixer.
The ice bucket leaks.
I stepped on this small piece of plastic in the bathroom. It looked like a plastic piece of jewelry that fell off a doll. I have 2 boys and they don't play with dolls, so I'm pretty sure it was left behind from the guest before us.

All in all, it was an average stay. There's nothing terrible about this hotel, nor is there anything great that makes me want to come back. The room was supposedly on sale for $100/night, down from its usual $140/night. I thought $100 was ok. But I wouldn't pay $140 to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2013

right on the river. huge complex. huge lobby, tons of rooms. very nice, beds, big rooms too.
but, its over a flight path, so if you are really noise sensitive, you might want to think twice about it.
not a lot of eating places within walking distance, but a few. taxi can take ya anywhere.

great staff. spotless. nice new carpets. free Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: overlooking the water......ground floor....not too close to the elevator or ice machine .
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my 2 night stay prior to a river cruise departing from Portland. Large comfortable room overlooking well landscaped pool area and Columbia River. Unusually large shower in bathroom. Every staff member goes out of his or her way to greet each guest. Excellent service by housekeeping, maintenance and food and beverage service. Very reasonably priced. Wonderful Dungeness crabcakes, eggs scrambled with real lobster meat and bernaise sauce, good selection of Oregon and Washington state wines.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking river .
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here and thought everything was fantastic. From the maid service to the front desk to the shuttle driver, everyone was courteous and accomodating. We had a double queen room and it was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. The bathroom was amazing with beautiful tile and plenty of room. A mini fridge and coffee service were wonderful additions. We'd gladly stay here again anytime.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

I truly appreciate your kind comments recognizing our hotel and staff for their exceptional guest service. We have a great team and they strive to exceed each guest’s expectations. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have already passed on my thanks to them for a job well done.

We appreciate your feedback and your business.
Regards,
Rod Russell
Director of Operations

Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I and our four dogs stayed here for 9 days during our National Specialty Dog Show. Without fail, the staff were over the top helpful, efficient and friendly. The rooms were comfortable, the place clean and nice, the food in the grill good, and the parking ample. Great walks for the dogs.

Room Tip: Because we had four dogs with us and I have a bad knee we asked for a ground floor room and were graced with one with a view overlooking the tennis courts to the river and close to the doors. It may have been a bit noisy for non-dog people with the doors to outside opening and closing and the ice machine across the room, but the convenience for us was awesome. If you want a quieter room, just ask. The folks there were very accommodating.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends