“Not great but certainly not bad”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #54 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Not great but certainly not bad”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I enjoyed it here. It was clean and comfortable. Not too much around it but everything you need was a short drive. The service in the attached restaurant was awful but the food was ok. My biggest complaint was that when I was given directions to the room, I wasn't told I could move my car and enter through another door very near my room. Instead I hauled my luggage a very long way. My plane was out of Portland at 4:00 PM on checkout day but I was refused a late check out. That was a first for me, most hotels are very accomodating in that regard. All in all, the hotel was all right but I felt the service was a little lacking.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Polson, Montana
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The hotel was nice, considering we had just made last minute reservations on our mini vacation. Portland Hotels were booked, but stayed at this hotel as it was on the river and within driving distance.

Hotel was easy enough to find if you have a Navigation tool within your vehicle. Friendly staff in the lobby, however witnessed one customer nearby who wasn't pleased. Apparently she was on a waiting list and the front staff was unable to serve her. She was very displeased and made it quite known for all of us in lobby could hear her rant! Not quite the friendly introduction when arriving to a new place. Despite the unhappy customer, the staff made sure our stay was more than pleasant.

We ate dinner at the hotel with my niece and her boyfriend and enjoyed every moment. The only problem with this, we ate near the time the dance club was beginning, and the music was extremely loud in the restaurant. But we made this also work to our advantage and followed our dinner drinks to the club. We had a great time, because the music was just to our taste. where we live we don't have these sort of clubs that cater to our age group, so this was a nice surprise. We loved it and got our dance on!!! (think fun 70's and 80's and 90's music).

Our room was exceptional and roomy. Nice balcony and two sinks (His and hers haha). Big Showers to fit two people if needed ;-)

We utilized the pool and hot tub the following morning which were clean and big, and had a great time meeting new people . Would be a great venture for children as well.

We will visit here again soon if not to stay, at least to dance :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us and I am happy that you enjoyed the Jantzen Beach night club, We look forward to seeing you again soon

Rod Russell
Director of Operations
Tualatin
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We've been here twice. The first time was for a weekend getaway a couple decades ago. This time was for my wife's high school reunion which was being held in one of the banquet rooms. Since I wasn't attending, I spent more than the usual amount of time in the room working on business.

The room was large and clean. Internet access was quick and trouble-free. The room has a very large desk for me to work at, and I was able to hook my computer to the TV set via HDMI to watch a couple of movies in the evening.

Usual room amenities.The shower provided lots of hot water and the bed was firm but comfortable. Excellent, quiet air-conditioning (it's mid-summer). Good room price tops off the plusses of this Red Lion.

The shortcomings are only liquid soap by the sink (I prefer bar soap) and the second sink outside the bathroom had no soap of any kind. The "river view" room didn't have much of a river view, not that it mattered to me, but it did have a great view of the busy, noisy swimming pool. So the room wasn't particularly quiet. And, of course, it is on the PDX airport flight path which goes along the river.

Room Tip: Consider a room that doesn't face the pool.
Florence, Oregon
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Staff at front desk nice at check-in. Initial impression of room was favorable. I was in Portland for a five-day business trip. After getting settled, found broken glass pieces of glass on bathroom floor and several strands of long hair! I immediately called the front desk. They offered to move me but it was late, I was tired and had to get up early for business meeting. I requested that the bathroom floor be vacuumed and mopped for safety. The following morning, I took the pieces of glass and hair to the front desk, reiterating my request for a thorough cleaning. I returned from my day and found MORE glass on the floor as well as MORE long hair along with a message on my machine from housekeeping offering an appology. I called the front desk and requested to be moved. I was moved to another floor. Prior to unloading the luggage cart, I elected to inspect the room. In the corner, above the bed, I found a dinner plate size cobweb with many dead bugs!! I then called the front desk informing the young woman who answered that the room was not only unacceptable, but she needed to move me and also come and see what I found for herself. So, on to the third room. At first glance the room appeared fine. I unoaded the luggage cart and began to settle in. Long story short, I found a child's toy on the floor, residue from a wad of chewing gum on the bathroom floor, and a tile in the tub under the soap dish with enough soap residue accumulation to completely change the color of the tile from brown to white. Even after speaking with the Director of Housekeeping, the tile was still not cleaned for the three day remainder of my stay. My company was paying for the hotel or I would have demanded a complete refund and moved to another hotel. I did advise my company regarding the glass hazard and lack of action by housekeeping. My company advised that other staff had issues with the hotel as well. The Director of Housekeeping informed they were short a room inspector and had been for two weeks. It was obvious. Even the hallway carpets were in great need of cleaning. The Red Lion is tired and worn. This location is wonderful, right on the river and the restaurant was really a treat, but the rooms I was in are in very serious need of deep cleaning. It may also be a reflection of the economic times we live in; however, the simple fact I specifically requested a hazard be removed and it was not is unacceptable. One more thing, the elevator location is very poorly planned. You walk and walk and walk. With an injured foot, it was not user friendly.

Room Tip: If you check in, inspect your room very carefully.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Misseastcoast
We value each and every one of our guest and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best serivce. I am dissapointed to see that there were areas of concern regarding the cleanliness of your room and the lack of response from our staff and I can assure that we will be addressing the issue with our housekeeping staff, Please accept my apology

Thank you for the feedback and I hope to have the oppertunity to provide you better service in the future.
Rod Russell
Director of Operations
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Booked a three night stay here. Thought it was a good deal since they are pet friendly. Check in was fast and efficient. We were offered room 172 which was on the corner on the first floor. It had a view of the pool and quick access to the pet area outside. The room was a good size. Beds were comfortable and bathroom clean. One huge downside was the fact that there were tons of gnats in the room. We did not open the patio doors once. For the life of us, we could not figure out where they were coming from. Everyday we would kill 10+! I understand we're by the water, but come on now, there were no bugs right outside in the common areas.

The walls were also fairly thin where we can hear all the footsteps coming from the floor above.

All in all, I really wanted to be impressed by this hotel. We usually stay at Kimpton hotels but gave this chain a chance because of the price. I might book with Red Lion again, but not at this location.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Oppajer
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 9 August 2013

we stayed 3 nights recently on our first visit to portland. beautiful setting on the columbia river with walking paths on site. good value with free breakfast which is very good. the bar had great entertainment on the weekend we were there and all staff were very courteous and efficient. would definitely stay again. very large rooms, cab fare of 22 bucks to downtown pays for itself quickly when one considers downtown rates. outdoor pool and jacuzzi are very spacious. No complaints!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is an adequate hotel, but has one distinct disadvantage for a tourist . . . it's location. Care has to be taken when planning your outings. We were driving back to the hotel after a day in Portland and traffic was averaging 10 mph northbound I-5 around 4 in the afternoon. If you can avoid rush hour (more like three hours) traffic and don't mind a very business traveler feel, then you can probably bump this up to very good.

2 Thank Jeff S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Best Western Inn At The Meadows

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!