“Great place for a conference or holiday”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #55 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and were very impressed with the service. Really helpful staff.Rooms were clean and comfortable. Pool nice and room was right on river. My only complaint was the coffee barista place in lobby was open weird hours and not in the afternoon when we needed a decent coffee to keep us going. Otherwise would have been 5 stars. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is one of the biggest hotels I've ever stayed in. Seems like it's used a lot for conferences and business meeting. We had been traveling up the west coast for 12 days and this was the very first time we had been dissatisfied with our 'American adventure'. The man on reception was talking to his colleague the whole time we were checking in - not the sort of service you expect. I told him it was my husbands birthday the following day and it would be lovely to wake up to a view of the river. He searched and said he had found a nice room for us. The room had a side view of the river and the traffic from the bridge was thundering by, We should have asked to move but it was late and we were tired. We didn't realise but the patio doors didn't lock properly so the traffic continually kept us awake all night. The restaurant staff were lovely although the food wasn't great. I think the hotel was about 30% full so no excuse for any of it. Maybe we just got unlucky but we certainly will not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view as far away from the bridge as you can.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AAVisitor
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We take all customer issues very seriously. I'm sorry to hear our front office staff did not handle your check-in with professionalism and were not able to get you a room with a better view of the river. These rooms are very popular and sometimes not available on the day of check-in if not reserved in advance. Please accept my apologies and I hope if you return to the area you will give us a chance to make it up to you on your next stay.

Director Of Operations

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My girlfriend and I came down from Seattle to visit Portland for the weekend. We knew we wouldn't be staying in our room for much more than sleeping, so we didn't want a big, downtown hotel with all the bells and whistles.

We searched for a while and found the Red Lion - Jantzen Beach Hotel. And it was absolutely perfect! We booked through Travel Portland so we got complimentary breakfast (not crappy buffet style, either, actual sit down breakfast!), and a coupon book to use around Portland.

The room was spacious, had a view of the river and pool, was comfortable, and for the price we paid it was an excellent value.

You're not going to be staying at the Four Seasons here, but that's why you're not paying anywhere near that level of price. This hotel is definitely one of the best bang-for-our-buck hotels we've ever stayed at.

Keep up the great work, Red Lion - Jantzen Beach Hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Arthur
I am happy that you and your girlfriend had a chance to stay with us and enjoy the view of the Columbia river while having breakfast in our Restaurant, We hope to see you again soon.

Director of Operations

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The employees at the desk are trained in all areas and provided me with needed services from WiFi to doctoring. I am indebted to the work force for how they made my stay more enjoyable. I would gladly recommend the Jantzen Red Lion to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were traveling with our family of five (3 kids) and we had a great time. The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. We dined at the hotel restaurant and the food was fantastic, the view was great and the service was wonderful.

Hello,
I would like to Thank the Janzen Beach hotel in Portland, OR for making good the shuttle issue with my mother. The issue was getting a shuttle for my 81 year old mother from the hotel to PDX at 4:30AM. I was told that they had a shuttle that would take her to the airport for her early morning flight, well it turns out that their shuttle doesn't start until 7AM... Called and the supervisor and she made to right and my mother had a smooth stay. I would recommend this hotel to any one stay in the Portland area.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Made reservations for my 81 year old mother 3 weeks before she was scheduled to flight out of PDX at 5:55 AM... Found out that very few hotel offer shuttle service before 7 AM. Talked to reservations and the actual hotel to verify that there would be a shuttle for her, and was told that yes they offered that service. Well, the day she is schedule to check in we where told that they don't offer a shuttle that early in the morning... Well, after a couple of calls, going up the management chain, talk to a Liz and she said that they would make it right.... And they did!!!! I am very pleased with how they treated my mother and how helpful the staff was from the front desk to the people that help her with the luggage and got her to the airport on time..... Mom, said the room was clean and easily accessible. I appreciate that the Hotel made the miscommunication right and where willing to work with us on making this stay happen. So if I'm ever in the Portland area will stay here, and will remember about the shuttle service and make other arrangements before hand. I appreciate the excellent customer service with this situation and thinking that this episode reflects very positivity on this hotel and staff in other areas too.... Thanks, Liz and the Red Lion staff for making a difficult situation turn out for the best.... Restores my faith in GOOD customer service, that we usually see very little of today in this day of "we don't care we don't have too" attitude!!!!!

Room Tip: If you need a Shuttle before 7AM, need to make other arrangements to get to the airport.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I truly appreciate your kind comments recognizing Liz for her exceptional guest service. We have a great team and they strive to exceed each guest’s expectations. I am pleased that your mother enjoyed her stay and Liz was able to clear up any confusion on the shuttle times. I have already passed on my thanks to her for a job well done.

We appreciate your feedback and your business.
Director of Operations