“great hotel, great location”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #56 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland
“great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was a wonderful hotel to have our convention. The rooms are spacious clean and worth the money. Convention hall was spacious and accessible. The only drawback is it's located on the flight path of the airport but you really don't notice too much of the noise. Located on the Columbia River, the hotel has an excellent site for walkers, runner and strollers. All in all, this would be a great place to have conventions, business meetings and family vacations.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

At first, the surroundings did not amuse me, but room was spacious and service was very friendly. We had free afternoon, so it was great to walk under the freeway to the small shopping area (Target, Old Navy, Ross, etc). We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was the best hotel dinner I've had, the same with breakfast the following morning. You'll see more of me :)
Plus, it has a great access to freeway to Seattle, so no rushour traffic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Portland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had a beautiful view of the river. The hotel was under construction but it did not effect our experience in any way. The grounds were beautifully manicured and they even had a nice grass area for dogs complete with potty bags and garbage can. I'm very particular about my food options but was pleasantly surprised the food in the grill and room service were all top notch with delicious wine selections. Well done red lion, we'll be returning the next time we're in Portland.

1 Thank Kayleen W
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I fly all over the world and stay at the most posh hotel to sleeping under my car. I dont really care how fancy or pathetic a place is.. I really just care about the value. If I pay a great deal (in my opinion) I want a great deal in return.. and the opposite if I pay little.. I am just expecting something safe, cool.. and with a bed.

The Red Lion on Hayden was a treat! Especially for the Value. I was picked up at the airport, and delivered to the hotel. There was no wait in check in and my room was ready. Its an older hotel, but it is clean and very large. The river and area around is AWESOME! (but then again I am from Dallas.. when it's not so awesome.). The room was clean and ran well.. cool air.. balcony.. clean towels, large bathroom, etc.

They have a nice little gift shop, coffee shop, grill and a large bar. The hotel didnt seem that busy, but everything ran well and the staff in general was super nice and helpful.

At the end of the day I felt it was a great deal for me. The food in the restaurant was terrific and inexpensive. The room was tidy, clean and cool. The area was beautiful and I was able to do quite a bit of site seeing..

I would go back anytime I am in the area. If you dont need especially posh new shiny.. this is a great place.. especially for family.

I was there for a convention and meeting.. it all went well. The snacks and food that were provided were by far the nicest I have ever seen. I spoke to the organizer and they said the prices were so good, they were able to get premium snacks and drinks.. for a great deal.

Hope this was helpful.. sorry for the lack of brevity. :)

1 Thank Nicolas P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and were very impressed with the service. Really helpful staff.Rooms were clean and comfortable. Pool nice and room was right on river. My only complaint was the coffee barista place in lobby was open weird hours and not in the afternoon when we needed a decent coffee to keep us going. Otherwise would have been 5 stars. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is one of the biggest hotels I've ever stayed in. Seems like it's used a lot for conferences and business meeting. We had been traveling up the west coast for 12 days and this was the very first time we had been dissatisfied with our 'American adventure'. The man on reception was talking to his colleague the whole time we were checking in - not the sort of service you expect. I told him it was my husbands birthday the following day and it would be lovely to wake up to a view of the river. He searched and said he had found a nice room for us. The room had a side view of the river and the traffic from the bridge was thundering by, We should have asked to move but it was late and we were tired. We didn't realise but the patio doors didn't lock properly so the traffic continually kept us awake all night. The restaurant staff were lovely although the food wasn't great. I think the hotel was about 30% full so no excuse for any of it. Maybe we just got unlucky but we certainly will not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view as far away from the bridge as you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AAVisitor
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We take all customer issues very seriously. I'm sorry to hear our front office staff did not handle your check-in with professionalism and were not able to get you a room with a better view of the river. These rooms are very popular and sometimes not available on the day of check-in if not reserved in advance. Please accept my apologies and I hope if you return to the area you will give us a chance to make it up to you on your next stay.

Rod Russell
Director Of Operations
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My girlfriend and I came down from Seattle to visit Portland for the weekend. We knew we wouldn't be staying in our room for much more than sleeping, so we didn't want a big, downtown hotel with all the bells and whistles.

We searched for a while and found the Red Lion - Jantzen Beach Hotel. And it was absolutely perfect! We booked through Travel Portland so we got complimentary breakfast (not crappy buffet style, either, actual sit down breakfast!), and a coupon book to use around Portland.

The room was spacious, had a view of the river and pool, was comfortable, and for the price we paid it was an excellent value.

You're not going to be staying at the Four Seasons here, but that's why you're not paying anywhere near that level of price. This hotel is definitely one of the best bang-for-our-buck hotels we've ever stayed at.

Keep up the great work, Red Lion - Jantzen Beach Hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Arthur
I am happy that you and your girlfriend had a chance to stay with us and enjoy the view of the Columbia river while having breakfast in our Restaurant, We hope to see you again soon.

Rod Russell
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Best Western Inn At The Meadows

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!