“Not Impressed”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #56 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Cleanliness is my number 1 concern at a hotel. I have stayed at all star levels, but for me, what really matters is that the hotel is well-maintained and clean. My biggest complaint at the Red Lion was the amount of long black hairs I found in the bathroom. I have short blonde hair, so they weren't mine! The beds felt clean enough, once I removed the stained decorative pillows and fabric cover. Overall the room didn't feel clean, and neither did the common areas, it's old and feels pretty rundown, the carpets seemed pretty dirty. Also, where our room was, was right by the back entrance. Every time someone went outside the door would SLAM shut, at all hours, it was very loud. All of this, plus more, means we won't be staying at the Red Lion Jantzen Beach again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best possible service. I am disappointed to see that there were some areas of concern regarding the cleanliness in your guest room and we will certainly address your concerns with our housekeeping staff.
Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you better service in the near future!

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is a huge property located right on the river at Janzen Beach on Hayden Island. There is a pool and two tennis courts here. Our room is quite large, clean with comfortable beds. The room also has a refrigerator and microwave, outside balcony with a view overlooking the tennis courts and river. Room service was good and prompt. There are large conference rooms here as well as a restaurant. It was quite a walk from the front desk to our room and the carpeting was a little stained. But the rooms were ok. There was noise intermittantly from planes taking off or landing I assume at the nearby airport but it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I just got back from staying at this Red Lion for two nights for a mini vacation. It's a great hotel! The staff is exceptional from the people at the front desk to the courtesy shuttle drivers. The girl bartender was so helpful with ideas and just a real nice person. They are more than willing to help you out and the shuttle will take you anywhere within 4 miles of the hotel is what I was told. I did have them drop me off at the train that takes you downtown Portland and they will pick you up also and take you back to the hotel.

The room was huge and it overlooked the pool and the river. I was lucky with some nice summer weather so the view was beautiful. It was clean and had a jacuzzi tub which is always nice at the end of the day. It could of used new carpet but that seems to be my pet peeve at many hotels. Each room has a balcony so if you have small children I would suggest lower floor for safety. The bed was very comfortable.

I ate at the restaurant twice, a breakfast and a dinner. Both meals were very good.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if in the Portland area. For the price you pay you get a great room and if you want to spend the day in the City easy access. Also they have a deck on the river that has beautiful views of Mt Hood. You also get this view from their patio dining area.

Room Tip: Room 468 nice room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GR1111

Thank you for telling others about your stay at Red Lion Hotel on the River. We are honored that you selected us and appreciate you sharing your insights on our property with other travelers.

We look forward to having you as a guest the next time travels bring you to the Portland, Oregon area.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a lovely hotel but it is really two hotels put together with a central lobby. You have to walk a great distance to your room, however. I don't mean a long way, I mean a llllllooooooooonnnnnnngggggggg way. The area to the right as you enter is really a long way from anything and the rooms to the left are far but not as far as the rooms to the right. The elevator to the right is a long ways away so if you cannot walk that far it may be possible to get a room BEFORE the elevator on the second floor which is the floor of the lobby. Otherwise take a lunch and get ready for a real hike.

Room Tip: See above about distances.
1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Attended an Educational Conference at the Red Lion Hotel on the River at Janzen Beach in Portland, OR, and was very impressed with the facility, the location (right on the Columbia River with an awesome view of Mt. Hood), staff that were attentive to your every need (including shuttle service to the light rail stations), and great food! I would definitely come back!

1  Thank Harold K

Thank you so much for the great review! We so pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel, and we truly appreciate the kind comments regarding our staff. We appreciate your business, and hope you have the chance to visit us in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night here and didn't expect much for the price I paid but it turned out to be a very good choice. The lady who checked us in was very friendly and gave me a room with the view . Our room was large with two queen beds that were comfortable, bathroom also was nice and clean. I like this hotel also because it was closed to the airport but not too close that the airplane noise will bothering me. I saw a big swimming pool from the room but didn't have time to use it. Overall it was a pleasant stay and I will stay here again if I`m in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was a wonderful hotel to have our convention. The rooms are spacious clean and worth the money. Convention hall was spacious and accessible. The only drawback is it's located on the flight path of the airport but you really don't notice too much of the noise. Located on the Columbia River, the hotel has an excellent site for walkers, runner and strollers. All in all, this would be a great place to have conventions, business meetings and family vacations.