“Rude front desk, downhill from there”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #56 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Long Beach, CA
“Rude front desk, downhill from there”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel for my birthday during a road trip based on Hotel.com's description of riverfront balconies even though it was more expensive than my usual choices because I could see myself sitting on my balcony watching the river go by. After a horrible drive, I got to the hotel, only to get to the front desk and be told that my room wasn't riverfront and that since I had gone through a third party rather than the hotel,she wouldn't do anything about it since the hotel hadn't given the description.When I told her that I had booked it because of the description and that it was my birthday, she said that they were fully booked, so I got the room she gave me. I asked to talk with the hotel manager, who she said wasn't there. When I asked to talk with her supervisor, she said she was the supervisor. I asked about breakfast and was told that my "package" didn't include breakfast. Since I had prepaid, I was stuck so I asked about parking and was referred to the far end of the hotel. When I got there, I had to get in (only one door opened with my room key), and find the elevator. There was only one elevator for two large wings of the hotel, so there was a really long wait. When I got to the room, it had a view of the parking lot and the bridge. It was so noisy with bridge sounds that I couldn't block it out. The bed was so high that I had trouble getting up- -they should have had a step. Fortunately, a bellman recommended a local restaurant since the hotel restaurant was overpriced and the menu unappealing. When I went to leave, I had to look on 3 floors before I found a luggage cart,and when I left it outside my room while I went in to get my bags, it vanished. Definitely an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2014
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I can understand your frustration after a long drive and expecting to get a room overlooking the courtyard and the river then to find out a view room was not available, You had originally reserved a standard room and due to the hotel being completely booked on your day of arrival unfortunately all the view rooms were occupied and not available, These view rooms are very popular with guests and traditionally are reserved in advance. The hotel does offer a rooms package that includes breakfast but due to your standard room reservation that rate did not include breakfast, I am sorry these misunderstanding left you with the feeling the front desk staff was rude as that is not the type of stay we want our guest to have.

I hope that you were able to enjoy your birthday on your trip and we hope to see you again
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Room, building and grounds well kept. Since the reason for our trip was to be downtown, we used the hotel shuttle service to and from the rail station and used the light rail to and from the city. We found it easy to navigate our way.

Another personal concern is safety while we are traveling. My sister and I felt safe both at the hotel and traveling into town. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your stay. I am happy that you and your sister found the light rail transportation easy, convenient and felt safe. We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. Exceeding our guest’s expectations is what we strive for and we are happy to hear that we accomplished that. We hope to see you again in the very near future!
Young Harris, GA
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

After rooms in coastal B&Bs this was pure nirvana! Over425 sf with two queen beds, marble foyer and large bathroom, outside second sink , great river view, balcony we were quite happy here for 2 nights . Shuttle took us to light rail and restaurants. Very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2014
post falls
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice, thought we would give it another chance. I would give the décor and sad run down condition a 1. It is one of the oldest and run down hotels. They have still not tried to update anything. The rooms were not clean and ours had a loud fan that sounded broken, the man tried to work on it but at 8 at night suggested that we might need another room. The hall floors are all broke up and paint peeling everywhere. The food at the restaurant is way overpriced, not family friendly and it takes so long to get your food. I will never stay here again. The best thing they can do is close down and remodel the whole place or continue to loose business.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank altifam
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Please accept my apology for the issues you experienced during your stay as this is not the type of stay we want our guest to have. We are currently in the process of updating and renovating portions of our hotel you mentioned that will be including exterior painting of the building expected to be complete in September, Replacing the corridor hallway carpet and lobby area tile to be complete early fall of this year along with some interior wall vinyl, We have just completed the resurfacing of the pool area for the summer and we will continue to update areas of the hotel through out the fall and winter as business allows, I would hope you would read other guest reviews and give us another chance to stay with us again so you can see the updates.

Ashburn, VA
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in July 2014. We were at this hotel for a convention.

Our room wasn't quite ready when we arrived to check in, but we got there early so it wasn't their fault. It didn't take long before they had a room ready for us...thanks!! The front desk staff was helpful and considerate and always available to answer questions.

Most of the meeting rooms and the restaurant are close to the lobby. The hotel is large...not tall but LONG. I don't have trouble walking but if you do, be sure to keep this in mind. There was plenty of free parking outside, which is a nice amenity in and of itself. This hotel is on an island and to get on and off the island, you have to take the I-5 bridge. The traffic can be a bit thick and slow on the bridge, so keep that in mind. There is a Taco Bell and Burger King almost in the parking lot (easy walking distance). Quite convenient. Just beyond the Burger King is a Safeway grocery store. And a bit further is a Target shopping center with all sorts of stores. You can probably walk there, but its not super close. I believe the hotel offers a shuttle that will take you anyplace on the island as long as it isn't busy taking guests to the airport, as they have priority.

During the week long convention, I noticed some of the meeting rooms were a bit warm for my taste, but it is always hard to regulate the temperature in a large room and make everyone happy. But my hotel room was cool as a cucumber (perfect). The bed was comfy but the pillows were just OK...trying to sleep with just 1 was too flat but with 2, it was too tall for comfort (just call me Goldilocks). But this is my taste, so you may like it. The room was large. We had a King size bed with a desk and 2 arm chairs and there was still plenty of room. There was a microwave, fridge & coffee maker - which is always appreciated. There was no bathtub in our room, but I prefer a shower so that was fine with me. And the shower was a huge walk in. They provide trash cans as well as recycling bins in the guest rooms.

We only dined at the hotel restaurant once during our stay, but the food was good. I would have preferred a few more lower priced entree options on the dinner menu. The dinner menu didn't have a ton of choices and most of the items they had were a bit pricey for my budget. I ended up having the Kobe cheeseburger, which was $17. They do have indoor and outdoor seating at the restaurant. We sat outside one evening for drinks and both the weather and scenery were gorgeous.

The food we had during our convention from hotel catering was good as well. The standout dish was the Marion berry Cheesecake - IT WAS DELICIOUS!!

Overall, the hotel was nice. The location was a bit of a drag with the whole bridge/traffic issue, but if you aren't planning to drive during peak travel times, you will probably be fine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank VaAlleyCat
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The location is fantastic -- great mountain and river views, convenient to airport and Portland (Portland traffic is a nightmare). BUT . . . the noise is unbelievable. Highway noise (very close to I-5) is actually not the biggest issue -- unless you are staying in a room facing the interstate. It's the airplane noisy. Forget sleeping late -- jets (commercial and military) are taking off right over your head and it's loud. The interstate noisy is a constant drum -- so I imagine outside enjoyment of the property is impacted. The room was great -- spacious and clean. The beds were a bit uncomfortable and the bed linens the same. I'm glad I tried it out, but I wouldn't return due to the noise. I rated the location terrible because of the airplane and highway noise issue.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Westbrook, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The facility is large and well appointed. Many nooks and crannys to relax and or have mini meetings. Rooms are very comfortable and facilites have everything you need. Reservations were changed as my needs changed on the spot with a smile. I dislike doing surveys but after this one stay, I made an exception.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank James R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!