“inform yourself of taxes and fees”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #56 of 143 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“inform yourself of taxes and fees”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

we had our annual buick club meeting at this hotel.........we had 400 people sighned up...........the hotel did not tell us there was a 13% bed tax per nite or that we would have to pay for parking on hotel property.......

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dora W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Love this place have stopped here on nearly ever trip to Portland. Nice location close to shops. Just a short dive to Downtown. Also has a beautiful river walk. Has a great outdoor pool with plenty of sun loungers beside . Also it is very easy access for I 5.

Room Tip: I like to be close to the pool on the river side so I have view. This stay had a long walk to pool...
Green Features: happy with the hotels practices keep un the good work
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hotel is nice and clean and for the most part we enjoyed our stay. The dinning room and very nice and faces the river. Tip: When booking a room make sure you know where your room is, as the standard rooms are facing the parking lot and freeway which is right beside the hotel. Very noisy! Try to book a room in the east wing of the hotel. It will cost you more but may be worth it as it is away from the freeway and closer the the front desk and pool area.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a good surprise for us! We arrived in Portland one day earlier and I booked a room without any previous information, I choosed The Red Lion because it was very cheap (90 USD a night). We found a quick and attencious check in, a very good (and big) room, and a bonus in the parking área, the Buick Club of America meeting, with hundreds of beautiful cars

Room Tip: river front
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Marcos
I am happy that you had a chance to stay with us during the Buick club auto show here at the hotel, The history and style of the old Buicks were amazing and the amount of time and money these owners spend on there hobby of restoring these vehicles is a real passion, We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Portland area.

Portland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The overall trip was great.
The hotel needs to go through a major overhaul of rooms, bathrooms and hallways. They need to thoroughly steam clean all carpets and floors and bathroom tile... You can tell the maids clean 'what they see' not behind anything or under stuff...kinda gross... Everything else was great and I'd probably stay again, would just be nice for the location and price to see a little more pride of ownership.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Hillary
It sounds like you and the girls had a great successful trip and enjoyed your stay, The hotel is currently under the process of some upgrade and renovations and we just completed the resurfacing of the pool area in time for the summer pool season we are also in the process of painting the exterior of the hotel and hope to be complete before the great summer weather turns to fall we then will be moving to the interior of the building to start some corridor carpet and tile replacement, We hope that you will come back to stay with us again and see the changes we are making. We appreciate the feedback

Milford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed there for 4 nights. Front desk staff, very helpful. Had our taxi to the airport all set up for us for our early morning flight..clean spacious rooms. Spacious bathroom. Nice view of river during breakfast on site. Nice pool. We had 3 familys staying there and all were impressed. Comfortable beds. Our particular room was near the bridge so there was traffic noise. Some of our other family members were on the other side of the hotel and did not experience this. 15 minutes to Portland airport..15 minutes or so to downtown portland. My 17 year old son enjoyed working out in the hotel gym. I would stay here again for sure if i find myself again in Portland.

Room Tip: rooms further away from the bridge will be quieter. all rooms have a small balcony. river view w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Nancy
I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and everyone had a chance to enjoy the fitness facility and the pool, The hotel is centrally located for great access to the airport along with a short drive or public transit to downtown.

We appreciate the feedback and your business
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel for my birthday during a road trip based on Hotel.com's description of riverfront balconies even though it was more expensive than my usual choices because I could see myself sitting on my balcony watching the river go by. After a horrible drive, I got to the hotel, only to get to the front desk and be told that my room wasn't riverfront and that since I had gone through a third party rather than the hotel,she wouldn't do anything about it since the hotel hadn't given the description.When I told her that I had booked it because of the description and that it was my birthday, she said that they were fully booked, so I got the room she gave me. I asked to talk with the hotel manager, who she said wasn't there. When I asked to talk with her supervisor, she said she was the supervisor. I asked about breakfast and was told that my "package" didn't include breakfast. Since I had prepaid, I was stuck so I asked about parking and was referred to the far end of the hotel. When I got there, I had to get in (only one door opened with my room key), and find the elevator. There was only one elevator for two large wings of the hotel, so there was a really long wait. When I got to the room, it had a view of the parking lot and the bridge. It was so noisy with bridge sounds that I couldn't block it out. The bed was so high that I had trouble getting up- -they should have had a step. Fortunately, a bellman recommended a local restaurant since the hotel restaurant was overpriced and the menu unappealing. When I went to leave, I had to look on 3 floors before I found a luggage cart,and when I left it outside my room while I went in to get my bags, it vanished. Definitely an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2014
I can understand your frustration after a long drive and expecting to get a room overlooking the courtyard and the river then to find out a view room was not available, You had originally reserved a standard room and due to the hotel being completely booked on your day of arrival unfortunately all the view rooms were occupied and not available, These view rooms are very popular with guests and traditionally are reserved in advance. The hotel does offer a rooms package that includes breakfast but due to your standard room reservation that rate did not include breakfast, I am sorry these misunderstanding left you with the feeling the front desk staff was rude as that is not the type of stay we want our guest to have.

I hope that you were able to enjoy your birthday on your trip and we hope to see you again
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!