1,373 results
All reviews columbia river tennis courts jantzen beach view of the river hayden island flight path large hotel easy access hotel restaurant pool and hot tub free breakfast portland area conference balconies freeway safeway mt
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really impressed with the quality of hotel for the price of the room. The lobby has a restaurant, a store, etc. Not the most convenient location in regard to sit-down restaurants as traffic is pretty horrendous, but overall I think it was worth it.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Alyssa T -
Thank you for choosing Red Lion On The River! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed the quality of our hotel! We welcome you back anytime! Thank you again Alyssa T !

Reviewed 4 November 2018

Our impression of this iconic Portland hotel on the Columbia River is that it has a skeleton staff. A kind service oriented staff but not enough. We had a top floor room with a lovely view overlooking the river. One of the two beds in the room had a sheet with a blood stain on it. The towels appeared to have been rolled by a 5th grader just trying to get chores done. The room its self was comfortable and appeared clean. Our dining experience in the hotel was marred by poor service. We were attending a family gathering and had dinner reservations at 7pm. We were seated at two separate tables, not conducive to interacting together. We waited 20 minutes before anyone took drink orders and another 35 minutes after that before coming back to take meal orders. Our server was very kind and made an effort to be professional but we began to wonder if she actually had to cook our meals because it took so long to get food (8:45pm) No one ate together and several sent things back to the kitchen. The food was good just very slow to get there. The 20% gratuity automatically added to our bill (due to the size of our group) was absolutely not warranted. I hope the management can get some folks hired to restore the service level, in my opinion that will define the survival of this location.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kristin J -
Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your experience with us. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your visit to Portland! I am pleased to see that you found our staff to be kind and service oriented, but do regret to hear that we left you with a negative perception on our efficiency. I can certainly understand how long wait times could negatively impact your visit. Guest service is something we take very seriously and it's something we are committed to each day with every guest. I will be certain to address your concerns with our leadership team. Thank you again Kristin j, we look forward to having you back as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2018

I stayed at this hotel because it is also the dock hotel for American Cruise Lines. First the positives:
1) Most staff are friendly and work hard to meet your needs
2) if you are lucky enough to get a river side room, the view of the river & Interstate Bridge is gorgeous
3) The room has microwave, iron & ironing board, hairdryer, magnifying mirror, great smelling soaps, a safe, & a balcony with chairs
4) Restaurant food is wonderful
5) The hotel is sprawling——no trouble getting your 10K steps in!
6) So very convenient for your riverboat cruise of the Columbia River

And it’s shortcomings:
1) There’s no concierge, so plan accordingly
2) There are no bellman, although IF you ask & they’re not busy, the front desk girl will carry your luggage and help you find your room in this sprawling hotel
3) There is only tap water in the room
4) Where is NBC? I missed my favorite show!
5) The hotel is some distance from downtown, Washington Park venues etc so plan on spending $ on Lyft or Uber. My Lyft to Powell’s Bookstore was about $11 and my Lyft to Washington Park was $20

Room tip: Ask for riverview
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2018

missrumphius2017 -
Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your detailed feedback with us. We truly do appreciate it when our guests provide this type of information on their stay. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us and we hope to see you back with us again soon! Thank you again missrumphius2017!

Reviewed 19 October 2018

We stayed here again a year later (same conference). The rooms are still clean and the staff is still helpful and friendly. This time, however, they slipped in service a bit. First, they moved my suitcase. It was out of the way in the corner of the room (i.e. not blocking anything they needed access to) and they (weirdly) moved it to a different part of the room. They also neglected to refill our toiletries, so we ran out halfway through the weekend.

I still highly recommend them but I hope they come back up next year.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

KimJ-in-Oregon -
We thank you for your loyal patronage and taking a moment to reflect on your visit! I am terribly sorry to hear of the perception we left you with in regards to your stay over service. I will be sure to share your feedback with our housekeeping team. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 16 October 2018

We had an awesome room with a bar, living room, and Jacuzzi tub. Saw a great cover band there and danced to a DJ in their bar there. Great service. Good location. Not far from downtown and other site seeing.

Date of stay: March 2018
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

ShellyH-
Thank you so much for choosing Red Lion on The River! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed the comfort and quality of your guest room as well as the night club! We welcome you back anytime!