“Very affordable, but no sound insulation means sleepless nights”

Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205
Ranked #94 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Charleston, South Carolina
“Very affordable, but no sound insulation means sleepless nights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed at the Chestnut Tree hotel for two nights while in Portland on business, and I regret not booking a more expensive room. Time was tight, and the Inn had decent reviews, so I went for it.

The problem is that it's an outdoor-access only motel. That means you've got exactly 1 door between you and all the noise of the traffic on Interstate 205. What's worse is that the building itself is a bit older, and thus if you have a ground-floor room (as I did) you will hear the floors above you creak and groan as other guests move around.

The staff was quite friendly, and the room itself was OK given the low price, but it was definitely spartan. An old 20 inch tube TV was provided, as well as a small fridge. The dresser was pretty beat-up looking, but the drawers still worked. Heating and Air-conditioning system worked fine, and was surprisingly quiet.

Overall though, I don't think I would stay here again, because I'm a light sleeper and I found it very hard to get a good night's rest. If it wasn't the traffic keeping me awake, it was the other guests - especially the ones on the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: A second floor room on the far side of the office (higher numbers, which would be further away from...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband tends to avoid large chain hotels, which often leads to adventures-in-lodging, so when we were in Portland, OR between Christmas and New Years and needed a place convenient to the airport and relatives’ houses, we ended up staying at the Chestnut Tree. An old-style two-story walkup, it was very unassuming and dated from the outside, but the price was right. Our electronic key didn’t work the first time and we had to go back to the office (I hate those keys no matter where we are staying). The room was the nice surprise: newer décor, very clean, all the amenities, fridge, extra pillows and fluffy towels. The only thing I couldn’t find was a hair dryer. Even though this hotel is located by the freeway, we had a quiet night.

Room Tip: The rooms along the back don't backup to the freeway and were nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Room was large but that is about the only positive thing to say here. It was not properly cleaned and in general it was a "sleazy" experience. Everything was old and in desperate need of an upgrade. Free wifi was fast though! Some of the other guests made us feel a bit uncomfortable upon arrival. We just stayed in our room behind closed and locked doors until it was time to leave the next morning. Complimentary breakfast apalling.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anders J

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I requested a non smoking room. the room was worse than a ashtray. I complained so they changed my room. the sheets had holes. the toilet paper was half used. No signed of the toilet been desinfected. On tv just a few chennels. And the Cherry of the cake: in the morning even with the no disturb please. a cleaning lady opened my door finding me half naked. took her like 10 seconds to close the door. And when.I complained at the front.desk the lady was so weird. she just said must have been a mistake. no apologize or anything. horribleeee never again staying there

• Stayed November 2013
Redmond, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights--wanted a quick inexpensive get away--and that's what we got. Location was fine for us once we figured out the one-way streets nearby with on/off ramps to freeway 205 nearby. Although we booked this through Priceline "near the airport", it was actually about 15 minutes away and I don't think it had a shuttle. (Since we weren't flying, that wasn't a factor).

As other reviewers have noted, this is an older property which has a ways to go before it deserves fully the 2 stars. We requested an upstairs quiet room above the office which was fine.

Positives: Girl at the front desk and woman manager were nice and helpful. Room was clean, air conditioner and fan worked well, consistent water pressure in the shower (old fixtures), and nice to have a real refrigerator. Looks like decor has been partly upgraded (granite in shower, interesting pictures, head board.... Good large and heavy bath towels. Free Wi-Fi worked well.

Close to 205 Mall (several decent restaurants including Olive Garden, Portland Seafood Company, Red Robin and others in the area with a large Target among other tenants).

Negatives: The other reviews got it right--old, worn, bedspread which was not clean with cigarette-burns and blankets with black smudges on them (although they seemed clean). I took the original bedspread to the office and the woman on duty swapped it (looked nicer and cleaner but had numerous cigarette holes in it too though they didn't show on the right side due to the dark design). Missing pillowslips? Thankfully, linens were clean although old and thin, otherwise we probably would have left in spite of prepaying.

(Of course, we couldn't read the reviews because we had used Priceline and didn't know what property we'd get.) Our daughters were horrified we'd booked a $50 motel room and frankly we'll go back to 3 star chain hotels or higher the next time.

No sliding security bolt (holes were there), but the door lock seemed OK. Stopper missing in sink.

"Breakfast" was bare bones--coffee, cellophane-wrapped sweet rolls, sickly apples and apple or orange juice. They should say "continental". TV was old and definitely not flat screen.

Suggestions for owners/managers: Just getting better bedspreads and blankets would do a lot--phase them in over time if cost is a factor. This pretty much is a distressed property but it could be better. The employees at least do the best with what they have.

Room Tip: Be careful to avoid ground floor rooms near where smokers congregate, which can also be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a somewhat "bare bones" operation. Other than free WiFi and a room refrigerator, there are no amenities or services. What you get is a room. My room was very clean and comfortable. I was looking to save money, and this worked out very well for me. It's located across the road from a large strip mall, where I was able to find very fine food an shopping opportunities. Should I return to Portland, I will attempt to secure a room there.

Room Tip: Get there as early as you can, so that you may secure a room in a location where you would like to b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank donaldjones90
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

.....on the way to my vacation destination I had a good experience staying at the Chestnut Tree Inn. The lady at the front desk was friendly and assertive with checking me in. My room was just right, It was clean and spacious. The Wi-Fi worked great. I driving through Portland, the Chestnut Tree Inn was convienently located off the 205 freeway that I was traveling on to get to my vacation destination. It was quiet and relaxing, while I was watching cable tv. Til I fell aslep and the tv was watchiingerng me.( lol).
The rate was just right for the atmosphere, rate, customer service and location.
Thank you Chestnut Tree Inn staff. I will be returning and telling others to stay here!
~J-Dubb