“What a hidden gem”

Ranked #90 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Boise
“What a hidden gem”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here on a week night and it was not only inexpensive ($68 including tax) it was so clean, quiet, and everything was updated. A fridge and microwave in the room was a plus. Very close to Lloyd Center. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank chaisem28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights mid April this year. This place is not in Portland downtown you have to catch a train for roughly 25 minutes to get there and the station is a 10 minute walk it isn't very far.
The front desk girls aren't the most helpful but seem nice enough. You have a fridge in your room and a microwave in reception. The room was really quite big for the 2 of us. Coffee and tea are available 24/7. The walls are very thin and when people come back at 2am and start playing music it will be heard. But front desk did deal with that after a phone call. The price is good and there is a reason for it don't expect the world but it's ok.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I booked room with double queen beds for my friend and I prior to arriving for the night. I show up and was a given a single bed room. When I asked for what I booked I was told all rooms were booked. No explination was given as to why I wasn't given the room I booked. Instead we were told to come back after midnight to see if the maintenance man could give us a portable bed. Why would we have to wait til after midnight for a bed that should never been an issue! The staff had no personality, the girl at the desk couldn't really be bothered by the mix up. The room had dirt on the ceiling..chipped paint and dirt on all the walls. I don't think I will be recommending this place to my friends and family, which is sad as it was very convenient. My thoughts if one books a specific type of room...One should receive that room.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I went there payed for a room left to get food. Came back and the whole place was blocked off by police. Charged me for a room I couldn't even stay in. Came back to try to get my money back and they said I had stayed the night and were very rude about it. I wasn't even able to sleep there or get into the drive way due to all the police. The man Bill or Bob was completely rude, one of the worst customer service people I've ever delt with and the lady "manager" wouldn't give me her name and said there was nothing she could do. Worst place to stay in portland.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank S111851
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed at the Chestnut Tree hotel for two nights while in Portland on business, and I regret not booking a more expensive room. Time was tight, and the Inn had decent reviews, so I went for it.

The problem is that it's an outdoor-access only motel. That means you've got exactly 1 door between you and all the noise of the traffic on Interstate 205. What's worse is that the building itself is a bit older, and thus if you have a ground-floor room (as I did) you will hear the floors above you creak and groan as other guests move around.

The staff was quite friendly, and the room itself was OK given the low price, but it was definitely spartan. An old 20 inch tube TV was provided, as well as a small fridge. The dresser was pretty beat-up looking, but the drawers still worked. Heating and Air-conditioning system worked fine, and was surprisingly quiet.

Overall though, I don't think I would stay here again, because I'm a light sleeper and I found it very hard to get a good night's rest. If it wasn't the traffic keeping me awake, it was the other guests - especially the ones on the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: A second floor room on the far side of the office (higher numbers, which would be further away from...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband tends to avoid large chain hotels, which often leads to adventures-in-lodging, so when we were in Portland, OR between Christmas and New Years and needed a place convenient to the airport and relatives’ houses, we ended up staying at the Chestnut Tree. An old-style two-story walkup, it was very unassuming and dated from the outside, but the price was right. Our electronic key didn’t work the first time and we had to go back to the office (I hate those keys no matter where we are staying). The room was the nice surprise: newer décor, very clean, all the amenities, fridge, extra pillows and fluffy towels. The only thing I couldn’t find was a hair dryer. Even though this hotel is located by the freeway, we had a quiet night.

Room Tip: The rooms along the back don't backup to the freeway and were nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Room was large but that is about the only positive thing to say here. It was not properly cleaned and in general it was a "sleazy" experience. Everything was old and in desperate need of an upgrade. Free wifi was fast though! Some of the other guests made us feel a bit uncomfortable upon arrival. We just stayed in our room behind closed and locked doors until it was time to leave the next morning. Complimentary breakfast apalling.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family