“Ordinary, I can't complain, but I wouldn't rave about this one!”

Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205
Ranked #85 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed two nights at the chestnut tree inn. We were looking for a value priced motel, and that's what we got. It was satisfactory on all counts. It was easy to find, right off the freeway, and the traffic noise was audible, though not enough to complain about. The place was satisfactorily clean, but had a "smell". It was easy to get to downtown Portland, but there wasn't much in the way of attractions in the immediate vicinity. A minimal breakfast was provided, including coffee, some kind of juice, packaged sweet rolls, and instant porridge. The staff answered our questions. Towels were clean, and replaced after one day. They say you get what you pay for, and this inn follows that adage. If all you want is a satisfactory place to stay while visiting Portland, this.could be it!

Room Tip: All rooms face the same way. We had a second floor room, so had to carry belongings up stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 June 2014

when we pulled up the hotel did not look attractive on the outside. I had a hard time going in but we ended up checking anyway. The first room we had smelled like smoke then they immediately moved us to an upstairs room. For the price of the hotel the breakfast was what years and getting school breakfast is in the morning they could've had a better continental breakfast it is included. Although the the all though the staff was highly courteous and always printing directions around town and how to get around. The rooms are very spacious and bigger than then the normal hotels and the quiet roomy anf yet they had a flat screen TV my husband enjoyed. I would stay there again for the service of the girls gave me above and beyond.but I would not stay there for the price the hotel into some improvements and if that was done I would be glad to stay for a cheaper price. But it wasn't a very convenient location to get to things around town.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Richard M P
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our room was not ready by 3pm like it should of been. Water pressure and temperature were terrible when showering. Breakfast is nothing but packaged Sweet rolls. Fruit that is old. Wouldn't recommend! Beds are terrible.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Violarene
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here late September of last year while heading back to Canada from a very long road trip. The weather was cold and we were tired of camping in the frost so we jumped online as we were heading into Portland and checked out rates for nearby hotels.
The Chestnut Tree Inn has great rates, it is easy to find, close to restaurants, and the rooms were spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable. Exactly what we needed after nearly three weeks on the road.
I would definitely recommend this motel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here on a week night and it was not only inexpensive ($68 including tax) it was so clean, quiet, and everything was updated. A fridge and microwave in the room was a plus. Very close to Lloyd Center. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank chaisem28
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights mid April this year. This place is not in Portland downtown you have to catch a train for roughly 25 minutes to get there and the station is a 10 minute walk it isn't very far.
The front desk girls aren't the most helpful but seem nice enough. You have a fridge in your room and a microwave in reception. The room was really quite big for the 2 of us. Coffee and tea are available 24/7. The walls are very thin and when people come back at 2am and start playing music it will be heard. But front desk did deal with that after a phone call. The price is good and there is a reason for it don't expect the world but it's ok.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I booked room with double queen beds for my friend and I prior to arriving for the night. I show up and was a given a single bed room. When I asked for what I booked I was told all rooms were booked. No explination was given as to why I wasn't given the room I booked. Instead we were told to come back after midnight to see if the maintenance man could give us a portable bed. Why would we have to wait til after midnight for a bed that should never been an issue! The staff had no personality, the girl at the desk couldn't really be bothered by the mix up. The room had dirt on the ceiling..chipped paint and dirt on all the walls. I don't think I will be recommending this place to my friends and family, which is sad as it was very convenient. My thoughts if one books a specific type of room...One should receive that room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends