“Great if you like rudeness, drugs, prostitutes and police!”

Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205
Ranked #86 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I made my reservations on Priceline for this trip. When I checked in the only window was stuck in the wide open position and the door was open. That should have been a clue, but I walked in and unpacked for a long weekend in Portland on business. I asked for their maintenance guy to get the window closed and was told that he would be there 'shortly'. After over an hour of waiting (I was really tired and wanted only to lay down, but didn't feel safe with a large open window) I went up to the office to see what was taking so long and was told that the maintenance man was 'on graveyards this week'. Frustrated, I went back and struggled with the window until I was finally able to close it. When I closed the door and window I found out why they had been left open. The stench of urine was almost overwhelming. I was exhausted and did not plan on staying inside the room much so I decided to make the best of the situation. I had been warned that it was a very 'bad neighborhood', and I asked at the front desk if my car and belongings would be safe. I was assured that they 'never had any problems there. This morning, sleeping in after my first night there, I took down the 'do not disturb' sign and headed into downtown Portland about 12:30. When I returned at 4:15 in the afternoon, I noticed that the room had not been made up or cleaned. When I went down to the office to see about new towels, at least, I was greeted by a young woman with a world class bad attitude who snarled at me that the maids only make one pass through and I had had the 'do not disturb' sign out and missed my opportunity. greatly irritated by this time, I asked if I could at least get new towels. My request was met with silence and my presence was ignored at that point. I was told that I was 'rude'. Angry, I went back to my room and gathered up the used towels and went back to the office, throwing them on the floor and asking: "NOW can I get some fresh towels?" The snooty desk clerk said: "There's no reason to throw them". I returned to my room with grudgingly given fresh towels only to receive a call from the owners telling me that I had 10 minutes to get out or they would call the police. I told them that I would gladly leave their fleabag of a hotel, but that 10 minutes was unrealistic. As I was moving things out to my car the police arrived. They came over to me and asked if I was leaving. I told them in no uncertain terms that I was not only leaving, I was delighted to be out of this health hazard (don't get me started on THAT!) They laughed and told me that they were quite familiar with the hotel and it's usual type of tenants. I was told that they had to visit the hotel 'several times a week' over drug and prostitution issues. I seriously think one is taking their life in their hands by staying here!

Room Tip: Stay ANYWHERE but here!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank BendSanta
There are newer reviews for Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I ended up here through Priceline. I flew into Portland very late and needed a space to sleep before heading out of town the following morning. It's not really that close to the airport and can be confusing to find since StarK Ave. runs one from the expressway away from the hotel. Yes we did see the bars and strip clubs nearby but there were no lost souls wandering in the parking lot when we arrived. Being so close to the interstate I expected it to be noisy but the room was quiet. The room was overall clean and the price was fine for what we needed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hardendorf
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This place is exactly what the price entails. Drug and prostitute establishment. Just one block down from a strip club. Shady individuals in and out. Perfect. The room was cleanish. Good location near interstate. Continental breakfast of packaged danishs. Tiny televisions

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Levi L
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had a great stay at the Chestnut Tree Inn. All of the staff that we interacted with were incredibly friendly. The location is very convenient with plenty of restaurants in walking distance, and it's right on the I-205/I-84 interchange, so getting anywhere into Portland was a breeze. The price was right, especially for a weekend stay. Got into town plenty early of the check-in time, but was still able to get my room right away. The bed/pillows were not the most comfortable in the world, but not the worst either. The room was a good size, but could have been laid out a little better. Had a fridge in the room, but no microwave. Had to go to the lobby to re-heat food. Provided breakfast was pretty standard, oatmeal, muffins, and pastries. Coffee is served all day though which is nice. Overall, a good experience. I will definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gryphonic
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed two nights at the chestnut tree inn. We were looking for a value priced motel, and that's what we got. It was satisfactory on all counts. It was easy to find, right off the freeway, and the traffic noise was audible, though not enough to complain about. The place was satisfactorily clean, but had a "smell". It was easy to get to downtown Portland, but there wasn't much in the way of attractions in the immediate vicinity. A minimal breakfast was provided, including coffee, some kind of juice, packaged sweet rolls, and instant porridge. The staff answered our questions. Towels were clean, and replaced after one day. They say you get what you pay for, and this inn follows that adage. If all you want is a satisfactory place to stay while visiting Portland, this.could be it!

Room Tip: All rooms face the same way. We had a second floor room, so had to carry belongings up stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

when we pulled up the hotel did not look attractive on the outside. I had a hard time going in but we ended up checking anyway. The first room we had smelled like smoke then they immediately moved us to an upstairs room. For the price of the hotel the breakfast was what years and getting school breakfast is in the morning they could've had a better continental breakfast it is included. Although the the all though the staff was highly courteous and always printing directions around town and how to get around. The rooms are very spacious and bigger than then the normal hotels and the quiet roomy anf yet they had a flat screen TV my husband enjoyed. I would stay there again for the service of the girls gave me above and beyond.but I would not stay there for the price the hotel into some improvements and if that was done I would be glad to stay for a cheaper price. But it wasn't a very convenient location to get to things around town.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Richard M P
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our room was not ready by 3pm like it should of been. Water pressure and temperature were terrible when showering. Breakfast is nothing but packaged Sweet rolls. Fruit that is old. Wouldn't recommend! Beds are terrible.

• Stayed: May 2014