“Dont STAY HERE!”

Ranked #28 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Kent, Washington
“Dont STAY HERE!”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I had made a reservation online, needed a cheap place to crash when I was in town for half marathon. I arrived at 12:30 pm there was no attendant to check me in. I had to call a number tapped to the window. A woman named Roxy told me she wasn't there and to come back after 2. I came back at 5:30 and the woman there said she had booked my room to someone else because she didn't think I was coming. Honestly, I was relieved the place smelled of cat pee, looked like a drug haven flop house.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank kendellmurrel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The hotel is one of those 1960s style motels with a courtyard for cars and a clean "modern" brick face. Then... this happened. I took a bed in the dorm because everything else was full the weekend I was in Portland. Traveling solo, I am used to all sorts of situations. I stayed in a far worse place... in Mexico, but it cost me $5 a night. This is about $35 a night for a bunk in a dismal room that was cleaned perhaps a few weeks before if ever and had the look of a homeless shelter. The bathroom was vintage 1962 and had been well worn with many cracks and patches and smelled dank when I was first there, and then like bleach later on in the afternoon when I returned to take my bags. I realized only after I had gotten a room on the internet that it was the Worst Place Ever and that the other reviews confirmed this. I begged another place to let me in, and when they did, I removed myself, knowing that it was not worth the battle to get any money back. So, to recap - dirty, dismal, unsafe to store belongings, $5 for bedding you won't get and by the look of the place you may not want, all this was missing was to see an actual crack head. Don't got there. Go to the homeless shelter instead or under the bridge, at least the Crust Punks look after each other better.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Schwerpunkt07

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This review is for the new hostel section of the Portland Pensione, which is presumably not as bad as the actual rooms that most people have been reviewing. We stayed for four nights and were definitely itching to leave by then.

There are two rooms divided by sex with four beds in each. The two rooms are connected by hallway to a kitchen (that I assume you can use), bathroom and the manager's bedroom - which is right behind the front desk. Yeah, you share one single-use bathroom with the manager and possibly 7 other people. Luckily, not too many people stay there, so you might get lucky. There is a heating unit in each room, so you don't have to worry about getting cold.

The bathroom was clean enough, and the wooden bed frames looked and smelled new (weird I noticed that, I know). The mattresses were relatively new and clean ... at least as of March 2013. However, we had to pay an additional $5 each for bedsheets, which like snowflakes, were all different and unique. Mine was freshly laundered but had 6 cigarette burn in it.

I have no idea how often they clean the rooms because they certainly didn't while we were staying there. The bathroom was cleaned regularly though. I also feel the need to note the manager, a handicapped woman in a wheel chair who was earnest and nice but not too helpful with travel advice (I don't think she gets out much). She always seemed in extreme discomfort and smelled pretty bad. It can take her a little while to get to the front desk from her bedroom, but she'll always come.

Finally, the location is a little sketchy and we didn't always feel safe walking home at night through some poorly lit streets. It's fine during the day and close to public transit. As another reviewer said, this is an ok location of last resort but worth less than the asking price. I'd give it 1.5 stars if I could.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ted G
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2012

The Reviews on here are correct. We were attending a conference at the Rose Garden, and it is within walking distance... with everything around it booked up, we took a room here. The price isn't horrible (it isn't great either), and the place has a roof over your head. That's really the only praise I can give it... it really isn't a desirable place to stay if there are any other options.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank iamjasonmills
Portland
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I and my pregnate gilrfriend stayed there for about a month or so. Now we changed 3 rooms while we was there. Each room worst then the last. Mold, dirty floors, dirty sheets and more. Now i witness the housekeeper and his girlfriend deal drugs out of there. I express my concerns to the manger, yeeah, the lady in the wheel chair, what a joke. Anyhow, did we get any concerns from her about all the dope dealing in and out of there? nope !!!! actually what I witness, the owner is a young man who is not from this country, Smoke weed in the office and he offered me some. I freaked. I got my girl who was 9 months due with our son, Out of there asap. This place needs to be shut down. Its a scam and a place for only the drug addicts go and the mangement lets them be there. Dirty rooms for dirty people!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Danny G
portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I have never stayed at such a dump. I am a former homeless woman and I have seen cleaner rooms in shelters. The bathroom was dirty and moldy. The towels weren't clean and the sheets had burn holes in them. There were homeless looking people around and I saw some dealing drugs. The owner in the wheelchair was rude . I slept on the floor because I was afraid to sleep in the bed since I read they have bedbugs. DO NOT stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank raccoonie
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Never believe what the photos show you. The rooms are so nasty and dirty. There was mold growing in the bathroom. In the shower and behind the toilet. The rug was so dirty liked no body ever vacumed. The sheets had stains and hair on them. We moved the bed found rotten food that was left under the bed. The people outside were standing outside doing drugs. The manger was no help she was in a motorized wheelchair. Looks like she never bathe she smelled terrible. Just please never stay unless you want to be ate up by bed bugs

• Stayed January 2012