“Loved the Courtyard”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights on a recent visit.

Location - This location was PERFECT for a first-time visitor to Portland. It's just below the Pearl district and just at the north end of downtown. From here, we were able to walk to almost everything in metro Portland. Voodoo Donuts was about 4 blocks away, Powell's Books was about 4 blocks away, the breweries (Deschuetes and Rogue) were maybe 8 blocks away. And lots of stuff in between. The Saturday Market is only about 5 short blocks away as well.

NOTE: A Portland block is pretty small. Not like other cities. So 8 blocks isn't much of a walk.

Hotel - The hotel itself was great. The room was nice and quiet. Not much of a view, but that was ok. VERY nice bathrooms. (Although (a) the hot water in the sink took a long time to warm up (the shower didn't have a problem) and (b) the bowl of the sink was set pretty far back from the edge of the sink making you lean way over.

Parking - Valet parking was $29 a night. I don't usually deal with valet parking, so I tipped the guys $3 each time I took the car out. And there was one valet who was really helpful to us and I left him a little something at the front desk when we checked out. Thanks Mike!

Service - It couldn't have been better. They treated me well and called me by name. Check-in and check-out were flawless. Very helpful with tips on the city.

Would I stay here again? Now that we know what we like, we would probably stay at the Marriott downtown (concierge is nice and Courtyard doesn't have it). But that's only 2 blocks away from the Courtyard, so I would gladly "settle" for staying at the Courtyard again.

This is a 4-star hotel in a 5-star location (in a 5-star city).

1  Thank davechri
Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center in December 2010.

-We found the room VERY clean, very comfortable, and quiet. The bathroom was well appointed and modern and very clean.
-The front desk staff was friendly, and the reservation and checkin/checkout processes were all easy and pleasant. I love that Marriott allows you to adjust reservations online!
-The location of the hotel itself is great. We were within walking distance to most things we wanted to see. (We got a package that included parking, so we didn't move the car once during our stay.)
-The restaurant located in the hotel was delicious. We ended up having two meals there. They have the best poutine I've ever tasted, and macaroni and cheese pancakes. (That wonderful sweet/savory thing - yum!)

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. I recommend it for business or leisure travelers, and for families, couples, or solo travelers.

Room Tip: Look on marriott.com for a package that includes parking.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Not an advertisement for Marriott but I stay in Marriott's 100+ nights a year and this is one of the nicest by whatever ranking you use. It's fairly new, very accomodating, interested in your well-being staff. Granted you expect that in a chain but this crew is really managed well.

The restaurant for breakfast has limited choices but the two breakfasts that we had there were both very good.

The hotel itself is within the free fare zone of the Tri-met and the yellow and green lines stop outside the hotel. It's within walking distance to Chinatown and the Pearl District.

Only downside is that valet parking sets you back $29 per night and the hotel does not have a park it yourself option (although there are parking lots within walking distance).

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was in Portland for my cousin's wedding and needed a place to stay close to the reception site. As a meeting planner, I have accumulated a bunch of points with Marriott and Hilton, so I looked at their locations in this area (3 total), and chose the Courtyard based on 2 things: it had the best reviews and the most spacious rooms. My parents were travelling with me and I had invited them to share my room to save them that expense and as a "thank you" for raising me. ;) As three adults in any standard hotel room is a squeeze, it was important that we get the most space possible.
We were not disappointed. The double-Queen room was large with plenty of storage space for all that we packed. The bathroom was especially large, but could have used a touch more counter space. The toiletries were some of the best I have had, a nice surprise for an international chain. If they sold that quinoa shampoo in the lobby, I would have bought some!
I liked the modern decor with black and white photos of local sites, but my parents found all the dark wood and accent lighting to be "a bit dreary". To qualify that statement, we are all from LA and are surely city people, but otherwise they are beach/summer people, I am more of a mountains/fall person.
You can tell this is an older property that has been updated because there are fewer windows in the room. This was no problem, just an FYI.
I was impressed to learn that this property is one of 15 Gold LEED-Certified properties in the country. Definitely a selling point for me.
All the staff I came into contact with was charming, friendly, and knowledgeable about the area. The location is excellent. We were able to walk to lots of great restaurants and the famous Powell's Bookstore.
Three bonuses that I do not require but got anyway: two coffee shops on the block (no big surprise in PDX, but it made me happy), a mini fridge (quickly becoming rare in modern hotel rooms), and it was incredibly quiet in our room. We never heard any street noise or any noise from the hallway or other guests.
Overall a great property, and I would think so even if I had to pay the rack rate for my room!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thanks for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are proud of our Gold LEED status. It is important for us to do our part.

See you soon, I hope!

Reviewed 13 September 2011

The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars out of 5 is because somehow our Marriott points didn't get credited even though I went through the process of giving our rewards number when we checked in. As it was a recent stay we're trying to get them credited.
Otherwise... great things to say. Really good location for walking around downtown, over to the Pearl District, up to the Northwest District/23rd Ave. Bed was comfortable, noise level was minimal, room was very clean, and nicely decorated. Desk had a convenient power cord on the lamp to plug in electronics.
Parking is obviously stated that its self-park, meaning no free parking. We stayed on a holiday weekend and so parked on the street for free on the holiday and after 6 or 7 the previous evening. It's also downtown so we weren't expecting breakfast - but there are a couple of excellent breakfast places within a couple blocks.

Room Tip: The higher the better the view, and away from street noise.
1  Thank snowpeayah

Thank you for your review. I hope that you recieved your Marriott points for your stay. I apologize that wasn't taken care of. I am happy to the know you enjoyed your stay otherwise and found the hotel to be comfortable and in a great location.

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed here for a few nights while on vacation in Portland. The location is fantastic--I was able to walk to most of the places I wanted to visit; for those I couldn't walk to, public transportation is close by. The front desk staff were always very helpful. There is a nice little restaurant attached to the hotel; while the selection was somewhat limited, what they did have was tasty and their service was very good. My room was very comfortable. I also think the price of the room was a good value. If I am ever in Portland again, I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for the 5 Star rating... we love it! I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay,the staff did a great job and you liked the hotel and the location!Come back soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2011

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. This is a new hotel in a great location. You are next to the Pearl District and yummy food vendors across the street. It is only a few blocks from the river where you can run on a paved trail. I was really impressed by how large, modern, clean, quiet and pleasant it was. The front desk service was very nice. It also has a restaurant, which I didn't have a chance to try, but looks good. I am definitely going to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

WOW!! Thank you for the 5 STAR Rating!! We love it!! I am pleased to know that you were impressed by how large, modern, clean, quiet and pleasant your experience was. Hope to see you again soon!