“Ideal Location”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Portland City Center for four nights last week, and the hotel exceeded my expectations. This hotel is small, but stylish and clean. I used the gym once, and it was (like previous reviewers said) nice sized, very clean, and better than most hotel gyms. I ate at their restaurant once, and my girlfriend and I decided to share an omelette, and without even asking, the waitress split the dish up for us to share. The staff in the hotel as well as restaurant were very nice & courteous, as with most places we encountered in Portland. Our room was a bit small, but it was modern & trendy, and the bathroom was big; my girlfriend was pretty excited to see that the soaps, shampoos and conditioners were Paul Mitchell.

The location was very ideal bc the Courtyard is located in between the Pearl District and downtown; you are in walking distance to everything that is in these two districts. The blocks are very short, so even if a place is ten blocks away, it is not that far of a walk. There are three different streets full of food carts within a five block radius; my favorite food cart on my trip was Nong's Kao Man Gai located on 10th and Alder btw. You have plenty places to eat & drink alcohol and coffee around this hotel. A car was not necessary on this trip bc 1)Portland's transportation system was so efficient; you have the max rail, the bus, & streetcar. You can buy a tri-met pass and use the pass for all these different forms of transportation. 2)Every restaurant/bar/lounge that we wanted to go to in downtown or the Pearl was walking distance. If you do decide to rent a car, there was a garage one block over, that I believe, stated 12 bucks per day. We did rent a car for one day though, and that was to explore the Columbia River Gorge, which is a must do in Portland; it's beautiful there. Hertz was located about two blocks away.

Tip: From the airport, don't bother catching an expensive cab, use the max rail. Buy a 2 hour pass for $2.50 (or if you want an all day pass, buy it for 5 bucks). Hop on the red line toward, Beaverton TC, City Center, and get off at Oak and 1st, and walk 4 short blocks up to Oak and 5th, where the hotel is located. -OR- hop on the the red line, and get off at Gateway/NE 99th TC, to transfer on the green line. Take the green line, heading toward PSU, and get off at Oak/Pine, and you'll be across the street from the hotel. To get back to the airport, walk to Oak and 1st, and hop on the red line toward the airport. After using Portland's transportation system for the first two days, I quickly became use to it, and found it really efficient and impressive.

4  Thank Benny L
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

We love to see 5 star reviews! Thank you so much for everything you wrote about our wonderful city. Our transportation system is really hard to beat. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is an awesome hotel that it located in the heart of downtown Portland! Light rail is across the street but who needs that when you can literally walk everywhere you need to go in the greater downtown area.

The service was great! The rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable. The gym is better than most hotel gyms with ample cardio equipment and a nice mix of dumbells and machines!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are well insulated and very quiet. I had a room that overlooked Oak Street which w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

What a great review! I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time in Portland and that our hotel helped to make that happen. We get many comments on how amazing our gym is. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

RECOMMENDED: Slight strange smell in hallways as others have noted which luckily doesn't get into rooms. I was assigned a 6th floor corner unit.

Property is in good location for most activities. Check-in uneventful. Free wired/wireless Internet of reasonable speed. Due to building construct rooms may vary. I felt my room was a tad dark even with all lights on. The dark closet stain not helping with the dim feeling. Windows are large and sealed with some street noise evident but not serious. The room is not huge and a odd small hallway leading in ate up some of the available space.

Bath area is modest size with shower enclosure. As others noted towel quality and amenities seemed a tad meager considering the room rate. Water temperature boiling (be careful) and water saving fixtures represent an eco friendly hotel, but similarly seem out of place. Bedding quality was adequate (more on an Asian hard level). Staff pleasant and helpful.

Late night eatery attached to hotel seemed full at most hours and quite convenient for quick meal.

Overall I would not hesitate to return to this property.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to see that you would not hesitate to stay with us again! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

As others have written, this is a very nice, modern hotel, in an excellent location. The staff is exceptionally courteous and helpful. Having stayed here several times, I have only three suggestions, and I post them here in hopes the management will try to address them, as I'd love to come back. First, the beds are too soft, and feel cheap. A nice, firm mattress with a pillowtop, or a euro-style foam mattress, would fit well with the quality of the hotel. Second, the water flow from the bathroom sinks is so anemic that it is difficult to wash the soap off one's hands. It may be viewed as a water-saving feature, but I just have to run the faucet that much longer, so I suspect the water usage is the same. Third, the bath towels are thin and cheap, and seem more like what I would expect at a much lower-quality hotel. Everything else about this property is wonderful, and the staff and management really do an excellent job. It is clean, quiet, conveniently-located, wifi is fast and free. The restaurant is very good, and the location can't be beaten. The suggestions I'm offering probably have more to do with the ownership than the management, but I hope it's possible to address them.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your review and suggestions. Our beds are Sealy Posturepedics so I am surprised you had an issue when we receive great comments about how comfortable our beds are. Our engineering team will look into this. Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Courtyards are hit or miss. Some are run down and have seen better days and others are just acceptable and a few are really nice. This is one of the latter. Clean, modern rooms with all the amenities (except hand lotion). Staff was very friendly and extra helpful with directions and restaurant suggestions. This hotel is walking distance to many "must-do's" in Portland such as Powell Books and Voodoo Doughnuts, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area as well as about 10 Starbucks. Very short walk to Pearl District. Parking is a bit steep at $30/day but there are a couple less expensive garages on the same block as the hotel if you want to chance it. The on-site restaurant is pretty good as well and is open until 4 am if you like to stay up late.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am glad you were able to enjoy Portland as well as our property. Next time you come to stay with us just let us know and we would be happy to add lotion to your room as we always have some available.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I got away for a quick weekend in Portland. We only spent a night at the hotel, but I have to commend the staff for the great customer service and hospitality that they shown us. I really felt at home at this hotel. Great location in the center of downtown and within walking distance to the Pearl District. Kudos to the staff at this Marriott location. From the doormen, the concierge and the front desk staff, the entire staff was gracious, friendly and really made me feel at home and very welcome. Ic an easily recommend this Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a view.
3  Thank Michael B
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you so much for your amazing 5 star review! I have to agree that the staff we have here on property are the best in Portland. I am excited to share this wonderful review with them. I hope you get the chance again soon to have a nice weekend in downtown Portland.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is not at all a standard Marriott formula Courtyard. Mostly it is better.
The lobby is quite compact. Breakfast is at an adjoining restaurant, and does not follow the Starbucks style format adopted by most Courtyard. There are also a huge number of options within a very few blocks.
The rooms and views can be amazing.
The work out room is astoundingly bigger than most Courtyard locations. There are enough aerobic machines for the peak period. There are the normal dumbells, one multi-machine for weights and a small selection of body weight things (stability balls, mats, medicine balls). The real difference is in the huge amount of open space for free style workouts.
The Pearl has a few commercial gyms and yoga studios as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! I am glad you were able to enjoy our large fitness center. We have many guests that let us know it is one of the best in downtown Portland. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Portland.