“Excellent”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Excellent hotel,more expensive than usual for this brand but I guess that's due to the location.
The public areas are very modern and designed ,I think to fit in with Portlands bohemian style and it seems to attract quite a young clientele.The staff are quite informal but very pleasant and efficient.
The rooms are big and absolutely spotless,the décor is modern without being overdone.This place really does feel like an expensive,independant hotel.I strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for the strong recommendation. We have to agree that we are not like any other Courtyard. Come back soon!

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Wow. I don't think that I've stayed at a nicer Courtyard by Marriott property. Not only was the location spectacular, but the hotel was fresh and hip, too. The rooms were well appointed and spacious, especially given the price point. We were only there for a night on a business trip, and we were within easy walking distance to the client office and to a number of great restaurants in the heart of downtown Portland. The front desk team was very friendly, and we couldn't have asked for a more convenient option. I was pleasantly surprised, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, even though there are a number of boutique hotels in the same area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
I am so glad our property and our team were able to exceed your expectations. Our location right in the heart of downtown is amazing. I hope you get the chance to return and enjoy Portland without having to do work.

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Location was fine, parking expensive but they always are, room an ok size but the wardrobe was tiny it had about 10 hangers in but really only space for 3 or 4 things and if it was winter you could only get on thick jacket in, the bar closed very early..10pm on a week night??

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am so sorry you received one of our very few rooms that had a small closet. I hope you get another chance to stay with our property soon and you will see what a standard room really looks like.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

When researching hotels, I debated for a long time where to stay in Portland. We were only there for 2 days, but wanted to be close to the local attractions (shopping, food, Pearl district, etc.). This fit perfectly! The location was great, the staff was fabulous, it was quiet, there was nearby parking if you didn't want to valet, even the restaurant downstairs was great. I was really impressed and would stay here again without a doubt!

Room Tip: I am a Marriott rewards gold level member, so we were able to get a upper floor. I would definitely...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
WOW! What a perfect review. I am glad we were able to meet all of your needs and you were able to have a great time in Portland. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Monterey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I planned a weekend getaway to Portland, Oregon. It was my first trip to the State and I wanted to choose a hotel located in the heart of Downtown Portland where there's a lot of things to see and do. I chose Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center because of the reviews it got and also the reasonable pricing.

We arrived at the hotel closer to 1a.m. as our plane was delayed. I contacted the hotel to notify them about the late arrival and it was duly noted. Upon arriving, the entrance was not what I was expecting. I figured there'd be a circular driveway for cars to drop off/pick up passengers. Instead it was right on the sidewalk. The entrance was not that huge either. Yes, there's double doors but I thought it was a bit narrow for a hotel this big. We were greeted immediately by the reception desk, who was very helpful. We asked him about the Columbia River Gorge and he gave us good information on what falls to visit, etc. He was just a nice, easy-going, friendly, and helpful staff member. He gave us two keys to our room located on the 12th floor and he mentioned that the key cards are very sensitive when it gets in contact with our smart phones or credit cards. Got me scared because that's all I can think of during the trip about not letting my card touch anything magnetic.

The hotel's lobby was chic and nicely decorated. I like the lighted Portland sign. I could also see the path to the restaurant located at the back. The hotel has three elevators. What I found inconvenient was putting your card key in before pressing the floor you need to go to. Sometimes my key card has a hard time reading the magnetic strip and the elevator is already moving. I was afraid I'd miss the floor, but it never happened. It's probably a problem if you're going from the lobby to, say, the 2nd or 3rd floor.

The room given was nice and spacious. I like the high ceilings. It was a corner room (Room 1219), which was away from the elevators, which I like. By the way, the rooms were quiet (I did not hear anyone left/right, up/down). What I did not like about the room was the lack of view. I had this single window overlooking a strip of space (think of an alley way). Yes, it did feel claustrophobic inside the room. It was better to draw the curtains shut as I felt shut in. Good thing the room was huge. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, t.v. in working condition, and the bathroom was spacious. They provided a shampoo/conditioner and soap, but not lotion. Lucky I brought my own lotion. The pressure of the water was adequate. The hot water came out of the shower nozzle nicely, but there was no hot water at the sink. To flush the toilet, there's two buttons (one if you do a #1 and the other if you do a #2). I thought this was a very smart/energy saving toilet. The wifi connection was fast too.

I did use the workout/exercise room for the two days I was there. It's well equipped, not crowded, and had a nice view of the opposing building. For meals, I went to the restaurant attached to the hotel. It was crowded and it does look like a popular place for locals/guests. I only had breakfast there twice and bought dessert (yes, they have a vegan choice). I'm really surprised at the quality of their food...and the large portions! There's even fried chicken over waffles. It was definitely a place that is not concerned about cholesterol. Although, they do have choices for those that are on a diet or are watching their cholesterol/weight. They have a granola fruit bowl and oatmeal (also huge portions). I would have wanted to see just a fruit bowl (with no granola/yogurt).

There's no designated concierge desk at the lobby. You just have to come up to one of the reservations stanchions and someone will assist you. I like how they provide the guests with a large t.v. screen that is interactive for one to look for places to go, visit, eat, etc. But there's nothing like the help/assistance of a live person. Checkout was smooth and fast. Valet was very good. The only thing I didn't like was the $30 per day parking. I thought that was steep. Nevertheless, I think I would still stay here again because of how the staff treated us. They were all (I mean all) friendly, helpful and well trained. You can tell they care about their guests (no matter what nationality, creed, sexual orientation, background, etc.). They just want you to feel at home. Even the cleaning attendant was friendly, acknowledging us whenever she saw us. Good job Marriott, this is what customer service is!

Anyway, this was a very memorable first trip to Oregon and I can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TRTW
Thank you so much for the insightful review. I love when a guest had such a good time they take the time to write all the details. Our staff are definitely one of a kind and make the experience memorable. We can't wait to have you back on your next trip to Portland.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel with huge rooms. I paid just $70 on Priceline and was placed in a large corner room with amazing views of the city. The gym is nice, too. The location is also fantastic - right in the heart of downtown and close to the light rail. This was definitely a great bargain. The hotel itself is a pre-war building that has been beautifully renovated.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for the review. I am glad you were able to find such an amazing rate in March! I hope you get the chance to stay with us again soon.

Owings Mills, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Nice hotel situated 6 blocks from the river walk. Busy area of town with a medium walk to many places in Portland. Rooms are modern and clean. Expensive location which is why I only gave 4 stars. For the price I paid I do expect more but this hotel is worthy of your business. I did not try the restaurant but looked to be like typical Courtyard spread.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Our location is amazing and it puts you right in the center of downtown. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again soon.