“Location, Location, Location”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #26 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We switched hotels kind of at the last minute from the Downtown Convention Center, and could not have made a better decision. Absolutely everything is just a short walk away!! Restaurants, Pearl District, Powell's bookstore, food carts, public transportation (we took full advantage of that to go to Washington Park/Japanese Garden). We dined, shopped and listened to live music all within blocks of each other. The hotel was reasonably clean (I was somewhat skeptical as to whether our room had been vacuumed), the workers were friendly and happy to answer questions. There was Stumptown coffee in the lobby in the mornings. We had a cab waiting to take us to the airport at 6am, just like we asked. We did have trouble with getting on the free wifi in our room and that never did get fixed, although not for the lack of trying on their part. Just never could figure out what was wrong. Overall would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Floor 3 had a strange smell in the hallway (but not in the room, fortunately).
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I have said it before but truly our location is hard to beat. I hope you get another chance soon so stay with us on a weekend away in Portland.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and loved it. But this time, it was not as good. The staff and the facilities were all good as before with the exception of the beds. The bed sagged in the middle and was very uncomfortable. We had a room with 2 queen beds so we tried both of them and both had significant "dips" in the middle.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abqcat

Thank you for the review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your bed as we keep Sealy Posturepedic mattresses on each of our beds. Please let me know what room you stayed in so that I may make sure the mattresses are changed out.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed here in mid-August. For being a business travel brand, Courtyard definitely can be trusted for leisure travel. The location is great, the mall is 8-9 blocks aways and the downtown vibe here is excellent. You can choose any style of dinner and walk to it from this location. The parking garage next door seemed to be only available to pass holders or valet, but there is a parking lot on the corner of SW Oak and SW Stark that is priced at average downtown rates. There is a bit of construction going on next door currently but that did not start until 8am. The lobby is quite small but the rooms are above average size for a downtown hotel. The room had a microwave and a fridge and a loveseat. The price was excellent compared to other hotels in the downtown area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alinkal

Thank you for the 5 star review! Across the street from our property they are putting in a really neat water feature that should be completed soon. Luckily this doesn't effect our property. Between the property and our amazing team we truly can't be beat.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights for a work meeting and it was very good stay. A typical Courtyard with very friendly staff, nice rooms, comfy bed. My room had a standing/walk-in shower which was fine, but definitely prefer a tub, so if that's a big deal for you, you might want to ask at check-in about the possibility of room with a tub. One of the best things about the hotel is its location. Hotel is close to 2 light rail stations which makes it very convenient to get from/to the airport for only $2.50 each way. One stop is right across the street (diagonally) from the hotel (you'll have to make one transfer along the way) and the station is 4 blocks away (but it's a direct route from the airport, no transferring of trains needed). Tons of places to eat nearby, including a street about a block away with a dozen or so food trucks. Public transportation is easy, clean, safe and reliable. The northwest area of the city (23rd St.) is a very fun, lively area with tons of places to eat, drink and shop. This hotel is close to a few bus stops and I was able to take the bus there and back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank D G

Public transportation in the city of Portland is amazing! We are very lucky our property is in the center of the city so close to all the hubs for public transportation. Grab the max and come back soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in August and really enjoyed the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions/etc. The valet service was top notch and always had my car ready in just a few minutes. I loved how you could text the valet your valet # and the car would be ready within minutes.
The room was fine, smaller but typical for a "city" or "downtown" location. The tv was nice and we also enjoyed having the mini fridge to keep leftovers and beer cold. The bathroom was also nice but it did lack an air vent fan that most bathrooms have. My only other room complaint would be with the wifi. I saw several places that wifi should have been free, but I was always asked for a credit card when I tried to log in. I might have overlooked a password somewhere or didn't understand the process, but I never ended up using the wifi or my computer.
The location is great. I found it an easy walk to mostly anywhere downtown, or an easy walk to the public transportation that could take you anywhere.
One last note, we stayed on the 9th floor and didn't hear much noise at all (city or hotel noise). This was a huge plus for me as I tend to get bothered by noise more than most people, so I was very happy!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Portland, for business or leisure.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the less noise you would hear (I would think).
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bozo700

Thank you so much for the 5 star review. I am so sorry you had any issues with the internet as it is free of charge on our property. I hope you get another chance to visit Portland while the weather is so wonderful!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This was the first hotel that we stayed at in our weeklong trip to Oregon and we could not have chosen a better one to start our trip. The location was excellent, the staff was very helpful, and the room was clean and quiet. We arrived earlier than checkin time and the front desk staff were able to quickly secure us a room. The complimentary wifi worked great and the location was perfect for walking to the Pearl District, Waterfront, and Saturday Market. The only recommendation I would have is for the staff to leave out the complimentary coffee all afternoon/evening as I had a hard time finding a coffee place that was open after 6-8 p.m. anywhere near the hotel and this would have been great to have with my Voodoo Donuts :-). The valets were friendly and helpful with helping us navigate the area. We would definately recommend this hotel to others and stay again if we are ever in the Portland area!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for the 5 star review. Being green is important to us and I am glad it shows while staying on our property. We are just trying to do our part. I hope you get another chance soon to stay with our property.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I loved this hotel. Nice, new, modern, comfortable. Just great. The room was very nice and in line with the decor I've experienced in other Courtyards, but, I'd say, with more interesting art pieces. There's also this large wall of wallpaper when you get off the elevators with birds on a wire.

Good location for walking all over downtown Portland and friendly and helpful staff.

My husband and I had breakfast in the lobby restaurant: The Original - a dinerant. Yum! I had the creme brulee French Toast with coffee and hashbrowns. Delicious. And my husband liked his eggs Benedict. Cool decor in the restaurant too.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for writing such a fun review. I would definitely say we are not your average Courtyard with our Portland artwork throughout the building. I am so glad you were able to enjoy some of these pieces. We look forward to seeing you next time!