“it's a cool museum”

Portland Art Museum
Ranked #24 of 473 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest art museums on the west coast with an impressive collection of Native American and Asian art, plus a large modern and contemporary wing. Rotating special exhibitions bring the best of the art world to Portland.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

it's not the coolest museum, but it makes for a good kill time as you explore the city. Go to their site and see if there's any exhibits you'd be interested in first. It's worth stopping in if you're an art junkie.

For more tips of cool stuff to do in PDX, check out my blog post: “What to do in Portland if you only have one weekend” you’ll love it. >> http://itsalisa.com/2014/03/07/things-to-do-in-portland/ :)

1  Thank itsa_Lisa
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)
All reviews
in 14 reviews
"impressionists"
in 59 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our first visit to the Portland Art Museum for a special exhibition on the Tuilleries Gardens in Paris. The exhibition was well-curated and laid out in an easy-to-follow manner. It featured many pieces from the gardens, along with paintings and photographs.

The rest of the museum contains a solid collection with a few standout pieces. The layout can be somewhat confusing and requires occasion double-backs to see things you missed, but overall, we really enjoyed the time we spent there.

The cafe and gift shop were also worth a visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you are interested in late 19th trough 21st century Art, you shouldn't miss this Museum. Located in a very beautiful green area at downtown Portland. You can visit most of the Museum in a single day.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The day I visited they were having problems with the computers, so I got free admission! Even had I paid, though, it would have been worth the couple of hours I spent there. The Native American collection alone (nearly two floors of art from nearly every region in North and South America) would be worth the price of admission. There weren't too many people the day I visited, but I could see crowds not being too much of a problem. It was also quiet, and had several interactive displays (which I did not use, but thought looked interesting). The staff I interacted with were all pleasant and as I was leaving a school group was coming in (good timing!). I don't know if I'd visit again, as I saw most of the pieces, but I'm glad I took the time to stop in.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had an hour allotted to our museum visit, which might have been acceptable if we had planned sensibly. We wandered into the modern art portion of the museum, and then managed to find our way back to the main building, with European, Native American, and Chinese art. The art, as many have commented on this site, was outstanding. I would definitely recommend visiting this museum. The reason for not grading this venue more highly was the signage. Clearly, great thought and talent went into the exhibit spaces. The choice of layout made each piece stand out. But the lack of adequate signage to find your way from one space to another downgraded the experience. A map is handed out when you purchase your ticket, and there is an explanation of the museum being in two buildings, it's just that once you were in one portion of the museum, getting to another was not straightforward. If you enjoy art museums, this one will not disappoint. Just make sure you can read a map, and have some extra time on your hands.

5  Thank PatConwell

Been to Portland Art Museum? Share your experiences!