“Pleasant suprise”

Portland Japanese Garden
Ranked #3 of 453 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Considered the most authentic Japanese Garden outside of Japan, the Portland Japanese Garden is a haven of tranquil beauty in all four seasons. In Spring of 2017, the Garden opened its new Cultural Village, complete with new garden spaces, classrooms, exhibition and gallery space, and the Umami Cafe.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stopped here on a random unplanned weekend trip to Portland. I was surprised by how beautiful it was. We planned on walking quickly through just to see what it was and ended up spending hours there. It probably isn't the kind of place I would visit more than once but I'm glad I went.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

To me, the best part was the pound with the many gorgeous Koys. We spend at least 20 minutes just watching them.
As all Japanese gardens, the "Zen" atmosphere is delightful. It is really close to the Rose Garden so worth doing both at the same time. For us it took about 2 hours to do both (I am saying that for the Parking that you have to pay in advance: we chose the "All-day" option thinking it will take longer to visit all but 2 hours were enough). There are many other activities too in this same area like a kid playground (but it was closed) and a Children Museum.

Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The roses are in full bloom now, and they are gorgeous! Take the tour of the gardens. It was at 1pm the day I went. Go early because the parking spaces are not plentiful. The 63 bus will take you there and the 83 bus in the park is free to take you to the test garden and Japanese garden locations from other parking areas in the park.

1  Thank Phoebe1944
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This garden is located in the park above the International Rose Test Garden. It is worth the admission price to see what a real Japanese garden looks like: carefully planned, serene, water and nature.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Although SMALL-- the garden is well designed and beautiful. It would be tranquil, as well, if visited without a crowd. I hope to get a membership in order to go at an off time and enjoy the garden at "off" times in all seasons.

Been to Portland Japanese Garden? Share your experiences!