“Just not that interesting to me...”

Portland Japanese Garden
Ranked #3 of 442 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Considered the most authentic Japanese Garden outside of Japan, the Portland Japanese Garden is a haven of tranquil beauty in all four seasons. In Spring of 2017, the Garden opened its new Cultural Village, complete with new garden spaces, classrooms, exhibition and gallery space, and the Umami Cafe.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
NYC
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Just not that interesting to me...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I admit I toured the Portland Rose Garden first and was overwhelmed by the number of roses in bloom. It was a profusion of flowers and aromas and so unlike anything I'd seen before. Even more beautiful than the NY Botanical Rose Garden which I have visited often. So, coming to the Japanese Garden was a bit of a let-down. I was disappointed by the lack of flowers. I followed the path through the natural garden, looked at a couple other exhibits noted on the map and left after about 20 minutes. I would not go again. But I would advise if you're doing both -- tour the Japanese Garden first.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the most peaceful & serence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

One of the most serene & peaceful places in Portland . A must see for sure. The Oregon Zoo
is located in the same area. Another fine attraction to visit.

Gorinchem, The Netherlands
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I went here when I was on vacation in Portland. First time for me to visit a Japanese garden. The garden is lovely. I followed a guided tour, everyday about 10.45am. That was ok.
The admission fee is a bit expensive.

Visited August 2014
Portland, Maine
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A good visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great place to take visitors to Portland. Be sure to take a guide as there are many interesting aspects of the park that can be explained by a guide. This is a great place to chill.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Absolutely stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

As a lover of Japanese gardens, this was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Portland. The garden is just gorgeous and extremely peaceful even on a crowded day with other people milling around. This garden doesn't have as many "breathtaking" moments as the garden in San Francisco, but it is a tranquil and beautiful experience. It's a must-do if you like Asian gardens. I didn't feel the admission rate ($9.50) was too high, but this type of attraction is one of my favorites to visit.

1 Thank Karen T

Been to Portland Japanese Garden? Share your experiences!