“Beautiful gardens”

Portland Japanese Garden
Ranked #3 of 453 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Considered the most authentic Japanese Garden outside of Japan, the Portland Japanese Garden is a haven of tranquil beauty in all four seasons. In Spring of 2017, the Garden opened its new Cultural Village, complete with new garden spaces, classrooms, exhibition and gallery space, and the Umami Cafe.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The gardens are beautiful and worth the trip. Lots of koi. I think the best time to visit would be the fall when the leaves are changing colors. The staff is very friendly and happy to answer questions. I wanted to find a specific tree and they told me right where I would find it.There is a fee for parking in addition to the entry fee. Take the shuttle from the parking area to the entrance.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I admit I toured the Portland Rose Garden first and was overwhelmed by the number of roses in bloom. It was a profusion of flowers and aromas and so unlike anything I'd seen before. Even more beautiful than the NY Botanical Rose Garden which I have visited often. So, coming to the Japanese Garden was a bit of a let-down. I was disappointed by the lack of flowers. I followed the path through the natural garden, looked at a couple other exhibits noted on the map and left after about 20 minutes. I would not go again. But I would advise if you're doing both -- tour the Japanese Garden first.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

One of the most serene & peaceful places in Portland . A must see for sure. The Oregon Zoo
is located in the same area. Another fine attraction to visit.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I went here when I was on vacation in Portland. First time for me to visit a Japanese garden. The garden is lovely. I followed a guided tour, everyday about 10.45am. That was ok.
The admission fee is a bit expensive.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great place to take visitors to Portland. Be sure to take a guide as there are many interesting aspects of the park that can be explained by a guide. This is a great place to chill.

Been to Portland Japanese Garden? Share your experiences!