“Amazing Facility for the Residents :3” 5 of 5 bubbles

Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #11 of 440 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Community-supported since 1888, the Oregon Zoo is a world leader in animal welfare and conservation, connecting more than 1.6 million visitors with the world of wildlife every year.
San Jose, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Facility for the Residents :3”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have a hate-love relationship with zoos. I've volunteered for private facilities with "exotic animals," so I know how unhappy and unnaturally limited the animals can be ):

BUT this zoo really has the best climate, and keeps renovating to give the animals more of the space they need. In comparison to a lot of the zoos and aquariums I have visited, this zoo not only had the most variety in little furry, scaly, and spiky residents, but they also had the most dynamic enclosures that tried to mimic their environment in the best ways.

I am ecstatic about this zoo. I hope they keep trying to improve the environment and implement more educational programs :D

Pros:
Animals that have the option to tuck away and come back out whenever~
Many different ecosystems to nurture many different animals!!!
Fun hike in itself, even when there's some rain

Cons:
WILL get crowded on a weekend (could be a good thing if you like kids :D)
Penguin enclosure could use some work... but I'm sure they'll get there
Some workers aren't there for the animals***

***I found a dying field mouse and scooped it up with my brochure; asked a worker if there was anything we could do for it... They didn't really know, so I had to just move it out of the crowd's way and put him in an area of bushes to keep anyone from trampling him ): I shouldn't expect to much of workers who don't work hands-on with the animals, but I can't help but wish that they were at least more educated with little things like this~

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Derry, New Hampshire, United States
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“You'll need about 3 hrs to see everything.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Enjoyed my visit despite the rain. You'll need about 3 hrs to see everything. They should have a parking kiosk inside the zoo so you can add more time without leaving.

Fremont, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Healthy, active animals at this zoo.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at the Oregon Zoo within a couple of years visiting Portland. Again, I enjoyed the walks to the different areas of the zoo (Africa, Rain Forest, etc.), and enjoyed the new lion cubs running and jumping all over each other. The caretakers of this zoo are friendly, approachable and friendly. I'm excited to see the new exhibits once finished!

Portland, Oregon
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of my favorite places...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I love going to the zoo and the one here in Portland is one of the nicest. It is well organized and the animals receive excellent care. The educational information is up to date and well presented. It is perfect to take your family or just go with friends.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank SGPDX
Portland, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good Exercise and lots to see”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have two young kids and this is great to do with them. I had a membership for a year, but ended it because they started to charge for parking. There are a lot of animals to see. We could never get through all the exhibits in one day!

Visited December 2013

Been to Oregon Zoo? Share your experiences!