“wish we lived closer!”

Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #24 of 460 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Community-supported since 1888, the Oregon Zoo is a world leader in animal welfare and conservation, connecting more than 1.6 million visitors with the world of wildlife every year.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We were aiming for the Rose Garden but the map was deceptive and we really lucked out on finding this little gem of a morning out.
Its really easy to get to on the local tram system or there looked like loads of parking.
its reasonably priced and loads of eating places and restrooms as you walk around.
the trail is easy to follow but allows you to do your own thing aswell.
the animals all looked really happy and well cared for, all the enclosures appeared to have lots of things to do for the more active animals.
Loads of info stuff for the little ones too.
they appeared to have loads of work being done to make the zoo bigger and more animal friendly but its not intrusive and certainly does not spoil the visit.
a brilliant half day out!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,172)
All reviews
"train ride"
in 78 reviews
"animals seem"
in 25 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"black beans"
in 353 reviews
in 94 reviews
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have a hate-love relationship with zoos. I've volunteered for private facilities with "exotic animals," so I know how unhappy and unnaturally limited the animals can be ):

BUT this zoo really has the best climate, and keeps renovating to give the animals more of the space they need. In comparison to a lot of the zoos and aquariums I have visited, this zoo not only had the most variety in little furry, scaly, and spiky residents, but they also had the most dynamic enclosures that tried to mimic their environment in the best ways.

I am ecstatic about this zoo. I hope they keep trying to improve the environment and implement more educational programs :D

Animals that have the option to tuck away and come back out whenever~
Many different ecosystems to nurture many different animals!!!
Fun hike in itself, even when there's some rain

WILL get crowded on a weekend (could be a good thing if you like kids :D)
Penguin enclosure could use some work... but I'm sure they'll get there
Some workers aren't there for the animals***

***I found a dying field mouse and scooped it up with my brochure; asked a worker if there was anything we could do for it... They didn't really know, so I had to just move it out of the crowd's way and put him in an area of bushes to keep anyone from trampling him ): I shouldn't expect to much of workers who don't work hands-on with the animals, but I can't help but wish that they were at least more educated with little things like this~

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Enjoyed my visit despite the rain. You'll need about 3 hrs to see everything. They should have a parking kiosk inside the zoo so you can add more time without leaving.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at the Oregon Zoo within a couple of years visiting Portland. Again, I enjoyed the walks to the different areas of the zoo (Africa, Rain Forest, etc.), and enjoyed the new lion cubs running and jumping all over each other. The caretakers of this zoo are friendly, approachable and friendly. I'm excited to see the new exhibits once finished!