“Disappointing zoo”

Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #11 of 442 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Community-supported since 1888, the Oregon Zoo is a world leader in animal welfare and conservation, connecting more than 1.6 million visitors with the world of wildlife every year.
Houston, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Disappointing zoo”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were in Portland, Oregon two weeks ago and visited the Portland Zoo. We were greatly disappointed. The number of animals we saw were few and far between - very, very disappointing zoo. And the few animals they did have were in small numbers - i.e., only a few "groups" of animals. Come on, Portland, get with the program and add MORE animals to your Zoo!! That's what a zoo is for! I had to LOL at the previous reviewer's comments, because we must have visited the Zoo on the exact same day - because there were tons and tons of extremely loud school kids (or daycares). The sound was very overwhelming - and kids were EVERYWHERE! I do take into account the fact that the Zoo cannot control the kiddos. Although they were not with me, I do have a teenager and a tween, so I am family friendly. But, had they been with me, my kiddos would've wanted to leave upon hearing (and seeing) the sheer volume of kids and noise.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Washington
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Its All Happening at the Zoo!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great Place to visit...Lots of new exhibits and a lot of updates. The best time to visit the zoo is in the am when they first open...the animals are awake and moving around and the zoo keepers are busy feeding the animals and you may be able to experience a feeding, its pretty cool!!
I would bring my own snacks, sandwich, drink...the zoo food is expensive. Please remember that you do have to pay now for parking. All in All this is a great place to spend the day or part of a day and wear comfortable walking shoes .

Bangor, Maine
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Good for Families, Not so Much for Adults Only”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

It's a zoo, it's in Portland, it's in gorgeous Washington Park, it's under construction a lot, it had a lot of over-excited children from school groups visiting the day we were there. We left kind of early (great gift shop on the way out), and went to the nearby rose garden and Japanese garden.

Craigmont, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It isn't what it use to be”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I just visited the zoo for the first time since the early "90's". I was highly disappointed in the conditions of the exhibits. And so many animals have been moved or have died. Seeing many animals lonely for a companion. No gorillas, zebras, kangaroos or anything from Austrailia for that matter. No grizzlies, wolves, deer. No alligators, armadillos. One sea lion, really? Just one sickly looking polar bear, I know there use to be more and they were fat and happy. I was just totally devasted in my visit. Some one has dropped the ball in this park and I will not be bringing my family back again. It's just to sad.

1 Thank momie8x
Aiken, South Carolina
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Lots of Walking”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Nice zoo, but lots of walking. It was disappointing that most of the animals were hidden in the shade on the hot day we attended. In some areas staff were throwing food to excite the animals and fish. We got to see an eagle snatch a fish out of the air as the fish leaped for some food pellets. Awesome! Also enjoyed seeing the huge bats dining on fruit strung on a line across their enclosure. Plans for zoo improvement are posted throughout the zoo. We will have to return for the upgrades!

2 Thank Connie S

Been to Oregon Zoo? Share your experiences!