“I would recommend this hotel!”

Comfort Suites Southwest
Ranked #58 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We stayed one night (Saturday) so that we could go to Roloff farms on Sunday. The kids liked the indoor pool, but the lighting was poor and flickered enough to make me seasick. The room was comfortable, it was nice to be able to open the windows. Having a fridge, microwave and coffee maker are always a bonus. I would recommend hitting the continental breakfast early. It goes from 6-10am, but my family got there at 9:30 and there was hardly anything left. This hotel is centrally located and there are lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 March 2008

Living at the California = Oregon border, my husband and I travel to Portland at least 3 times a year to see shows, etc. The first time we did so we stayed at this hotel and we have returned every time since. Away from the hustle of downtown (5 minutes north) the hotel is conveniently located to the entire Portland Metro region. It is clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff are incredibly accommodating. We love this hotel and have nothing but great things to say about it.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank PV8850
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our staff. We greatly appreciate the time you've taken to rate our hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 November 2007

My wife and I stayed here for four nights over the Thanksgiving holiday because 1) it's less than a mile from our daughter's home (with whom we were celebrating the holiday), and 2) I've stayed at other Comfort (and Quality) Suites and have found them to be fine for what they are.

This one was also quite nice, and I only rated it "above average" because I believe a hotel should be more of a luxury property to receive an "excellent.'

The hotel is convenient to I-5 and 99-W near Tualatin, is clean and well-kept, has a complimentary breakfast with a hot item or two each day (eggs and bacon on the first day, biscuits and gravy the next day, eggs and sausage on the third day), free Internet access in both the business center and the rooms, an indoor pool and spa, and a modest fitness room.

One minor and one major issue worth mentioning.

The room across the hall was occupied by a woman and her seven (no, that's not a typo!) children. The kids were loud enough that we heard them through their locked door when walking down the hall but not once we were inside our room.

When I mentioned it to the night clerk, she said she'd gladly ask the woman to keep a tighter rein on her kids and offered to move us. As we couldn't hear them while in our room, that wasn't necessary, but the clerk deserves big points for being responsive when I raised the issue.

The major issue was on our last morning. We had to catch an early flight, so asked for a 5:30 wake-up call. The call came...at 6:00 a.m, a full half-hour late! Fortunately, we had awakened on our own -- so no harm was done -- but the big issue was this: when I told the desk clerk about it, SHE SAID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. No apology, no "thanks for letting me know," no "I'll look into it and see what happened," nothing. She simply looked at me with a blank stare that could have indicated she didn't hear me, didn't care, didn't speak English, wasn't yet awake... you who knows what? The bottom line was that I got NO RESPONSE AT ALL, and that was completely unacceptable.

That aside, it was a pleasant stay and we would stay there again...though we'd be sure we had another way of being awakened rather than trust a hotel wake-up call that may or may not come on time.

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank TheTravelPro_us

Thank you for your valuable opinion regarding our breakfast and room. Insights shared by our guests are invaluable in our quest to always provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 4 November 2007

Overall the establishment was average. Check-in staff were not overly friendly. The rooms were comfortable enough although the beds were too hard for my taste. Overall, it felt very safe, there was no traffic noise, and the kids loved the pool!

The location was great for us. It is within a couple of miles to the mall and has easy access to both I-5 and 217 to hit everywhere you need to go.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Know that your voice is of tremendous importance to us and we value your comments about our staff and location. We hope that you will return at a future date to be impressed by the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 24 August 2006

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly! Location was great too. What more can I ask for?!?! I'll be returning to this hotel again when I'm back in Portland.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank deanidleman

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our staff and location. We hope you will return to see how we are continuously improving in an effort to impress our valued guests.

Reviewed 10 October 2005

Most of the features of this hotel were excellent. The rooms were huge. We stayed in a room with two queen size beds plus a hide-a-bed sofa. So the kids didn't have to share a bed. The rooms were also fairly quiet. I especially liked the fact that the windows opened so we didn't have to depend on the air conditioner.

The indoor pool is about 25 feet long. It goes from 3 ft deep on the shallow end to 4 ft deep on the deep end. So my 7 year old son who sinks like a stone had about half the pool to play in. They also had towels in the pool area. So many hotels make you ask for pool towels at the front desk, so this was nice. We didn't try the hot tub, but it looked clean and big.

The continental breakfast included hot choices like waffles and egg muffins. They also kept the fruit bowl stocked. The only downside was that my 10 year old who will normally eat anything didn't like the malt in the waffle batter. Luckily, they had hot chocolate, so she was happy.

The business center was nice. There were 2 free internet connected workstations with a printer and fax machine.

They had discounts at some of the local restaurants as well, which was an added bonus.

The only downside of the hotel was the HARD beds. It's been about 3 weeks since we stayed there and my shoulder still hurts. My husband ended up seeing a massage therapist because of the aches and pains he got sleeping on the bed, and he generally likes sleeping on a hard bed. After 2 nights, I moved into the hide-a-bed with my 7 year old. It was a typical lumpy sofa bed, but at least it wasn't as hard. I'm not sure why such a nice hotel would mar the overall experience by providing such uncomfortable beds. My husband and I are in our 50s, so maybe younger travelers wouldn't have the same problems. Our kids slept just fine.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
7  Thank MaryVC

We appreciate that you've taken the time to share with us regarding our bed and air conditioner. Your voice is very valuable to us and we hope you will return to experience the improvements that we are continuously making.

Reviewed 31 October 2003

My family and I stayed at the hotel over the summer. The rooms are very clean and service was great. Kids enjoyed new hot breakfast items, waffles especially, and the pool. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank BZGuy

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate the insight regarding our breakfast and service. We hope you'll return in the future to see how we continue to improve our Hotel and hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Comfort Suites Portland Airport
Comfort Inn Portland
#67 of 146 in Portland
4 mi away
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites

Been to Comfort Suites Southwest? Share your experiences!