“OK place to stay”

Ranked #119 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Yuma, Arizona
“OK place to stay”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We had mixed feelings about this place, but would go back. We found it in the HotelCoupons.com book and all we needed was a basic room in which to stay on our way back to Southern Oregon from Northern Idaho. We got a basic room with the coupon for $49 plus tax which when we thought about it was quite a bargain. One of the really good things about it was the location several blocks from the freeway and there was absolutly no traffic noise! The front desk clerk who checked us in was more than pleasant so that was nice. Our room was quite large, had a microwave and a refrigerator which is something we needed as we heat our own pre-made meals while traveling. There was free wi-fi. The hotel had a pool and spa which we did not use, but it appeared to be quite nice. The bathroom was a good size, but parts of the ceiling over the tub were peeling pretty badly and I was hoping it wouldn't fall on me as I was showering. The shower stream was very good. The "hot" breakfast was basic- there was an electric skillet full of sausage links which didn't look totally cooked, orange and apple juice, coffee, cold cereal plus hot cereal packets to microwave but only styrofoam bowls in which to microwave them. There was a limited selection of bagels and bread to toast, butter, jelly and cream cheese and that was about it. There was no fresh fruit. We took some juice and heated up our own muffins and a couple of other things we had in our cooler and had a much better breakfast than what they offered. The coupon said there was a daily paper, but we arrived on a Thursday and left Friday and the available paper both days was the pervious Tuesday's. I asked about a current paper, and the early morning front dest clerk said something to the effect that they get them sporadically. I think the carpets (both in the hallways and in the rooms) could use a good cleaning and it's time for some refurbishing for the entire property, but for $49 a night there really wasn't too much to complain about. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2012

enjoyed my stay at this hotel. staff is very friendly although hot tub was out of service. we checked in very late and i would like to say thank you to the lady at the front desk at night. she was very helpful and courteous, everytime we would come down shes always looks busy but has a smile on her face. not sure how a person could be so nice being up all night..kudos. breakfast was iffy so we decided to skip it and go to sharis. overall nice stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2012

On the day of our arrival , there was no remote for the tv . My husband had to go down to get one . They gave us a remote that was new and was not synchronized with the tv . We tried to program the remote ourselves but we did not have the instruction manual so it did not work . We called down and was told by front desk "the remote should work" even after we told them it did not and needed help with it. We were tired from a long drive so we decided not to argue . The next day , before we left for sightseeing , we passed by the front desk to ask somebody to synchronize/ program the remote so it will work with the tv . The lady (different one) said " I don't know how to fix that remote and there is nobody here that can help you with your problem ." Seriously ??!!! I work in a job that involves costumer satisfaction so this reply started to make me mad . I did not want to argue so I nicely asked her what she meant nobody can help me with that issue . She backtracked and said "I'll try to do something about it " . That pm coming back to the hotel , the lady at the front desk did not say hi and turned her back on us as we passed by . Obviously, our remote still did not work . This is a minor issue , what makes it bigger is the absence of desire to try to help their customer . To actually say "nobody can help you with your problem" is unacceptable for a hotel . The day of our check out , the lady was literally sleeping on the desk ! I hope the management will read this and use this for the hotel personnel's proper training to improve customer satisfaction . Btw , breakfast biscuit was hard as stone , for real .

• Stayed June 2012

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

salem oregon
Reviewed 17 April 2012

At first my husband and I were very pleased with the Hotel for the price.But then things started not being OK. There was no remote for the TV, were told good luck on getting one.There was no soap at all in the bathroom, saw housekeeping in hall and they pleasantly got us some,the fan in bathroom didnt work, the coffee pot carafe was not the right size and the coffee overflowed,the spa was not working and was given the impression it just happened but not the case,the breakfast was so so, ran out of items and coffee.For the money it was good, but the little things need to be addressed, the staff werent over friendly, convenient to shopping, noisy people upstairs at midnight.Would consider it again, we werent traveling just needed to get away without breaking the bank.It looks to at one time was a very nice place, hope things will work out for it.

Room Tip: look at the rooms first and check out all amenities first, to the north side was quieter,top floor...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margaritaville02
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Clean, spacious rooms. Very friendly staff. Great pool. Family friendly. Great stay between mt. Hood and portland.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Dldeters
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This hotel is not bad for the price, its clean and neat, the TV is old but no complain, 50 bucks a night, bed is comfortable too, lots of fresh towels, theres a fridge and microwave, there is pull out bed but no extra beddings, they are still using the vacuum cleaner at 8 PM, my daughters went swimming on the pool and the following day both of them got rashes on their body, i would recommend not to use their pool and hot tub. The place is far from downtown and quite freaky! Breakfast is not much, coffee, juices, toast, donut, cereals, if you want to save money this is good for you, but were not coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Dont swim on the pool or use the hot tub!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomsupremo
richmond, bc
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was somewhat sceptical of this hotel when I read and reviews and booked in on Expedia. I am very pleased with everything this hotel has to offer! It's VERY affordable (best price I have seen in years), it's clean, it has a pool, plenty of parking, breakfast, large rooms... What else can you ask for at this price point? I have stayed at much worse hotels for almost double the price!
Location is good, although I wouldn't walk and venture out at night without a car. There's lots of food places and shops, gas stations close by, Very convenient.
Pool is small but adequate, hot tub is ok. The sauna was broken the whole time we were there but that's ok since I don't use it.
Plenty of parking but the spots are a bit tight if you have large car.
Breakfast is nothing fancy, toast, bagels, cereal, milk coffee tea juices. Enough to start your day.
Room is big and clean, has fridge, microwave, etc. even a pullout couch! We had to switch rooms since they gave me a "NON-SMOKING" room (210) and first step into the room I can smell the smoke. The staff was very apologetic and got us room 222 and it was 10x better (right above the pool), and accessible by the staircase. It was an excellent room!
The staff are not OVERLY friendly but they are very accomodating. The lady working at the front desk in the afternoon was very helpful a few times.
Overall, I am very please with this hotel and would recommend anyone coming to Portland in a heartbeat. I'd definitely stay here again if they keep it this way.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank solaris_pete
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Four Points by Sheraton Portland East
Econo Lodge at Port of Portland
Days Inn Portland/Gresham
Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham
Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205
Days Inn Portland Central
Days Inn Portland Central
#98 of 141 in Portland

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites Portland / Gresham? Share your experiences!