“Perfect for our needs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Brooklyn Center Suites
Wales, United Kingdom
“Perfect for our needs”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Ideally placed for Downtown Portland with an excellent bus service on the doorstep. The apartment is well appointed for holiday accommodation and Jane the owner could not have been more obliging. Would certainly recommend and we would have no hesitation in booking again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We felt comfortable booking 3 nights at the Brooklyn Center Suites based on the favorable reviews on this site. We would have left after one night if we had not had to pay for 3 nights in advance. The room was extremely small for two people and the street noise was constant. Even with the bathroom door closed we could hear noise from the other bathroom. The owner was neither friendly nor helpful. As for the kitchen, it's necessary to move the toaster oven if you want to use the coffee maker. I burned my hand doing so. The contact paper is peeling from the cabinets and the knobs on the stove are cracked. Staying at the Brooklyn suites almost ruined our stay in Portland. Next time we'll stay in a chain motel or a nice hotel downtown. By the way, "suite" is misleading. It's a room.

Room Tip: There are only 2 "suites."
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kathy2012_12
123HappyCamper333, Owner at Brooklyn Center Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2015
Kathy, we are sorry you didn't mention any of these concerns to us during your stay. It sounds like you were very unhappy, and as we accept payment at the time of arrival, we would have suggested other lodging choices in the area that may have fit your preferences better. And, of course, we would not have charged you. We want our guests to be happy, as it is our intention to provide clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations to visitors to Portland, but we know everyone's needs are different.

May we suggest you speak to the owners to see if there was a remedy next time you are unhappy with a lodging choice?

Jane and David Schue, Owners
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Couldn't get a room in our "regular" hotel so booked here. A very happy choice! Clean, plenty of room for two, kitchen, and free parking! (it costs 16.00 a night at our hotel). The suite was quiet and so close to very fun neighborhoods. We spent a half day in the Sellwood walking and eating, lots of fun. Stay here, the owner is very nice, answers questions/emails promptly and is helpful. We will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank SimonEugene_Oregon
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here for a business conference early November with my husband and we found it to be the perfect distance from town. That is, it took no time to get to places, yet it was far enough away to avoid annoying traffic noises. It was also handy that there was a kitchenette where I could whip up something quick instead of having to waste more money eating out. A real time and money saver, this place is a gem among sloppy motels in the area - will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Gemobby
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My Fiancée and I recently made a trip to Portland. We happened to arrive during the worst weather of the year, which put a damper on our plans of going to the coast. We found Brooklyn Center Suites right away, and Jane, the owner was more than happy to accommodate us. The room was basically a studio apartment complete with sink, oven, and refrigerator. Our Portland vacation was rescued by these folks and we will forever be grateful. I will definitely stay here again next visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shay M
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 25 November 2010

After deciding that I was not going to put up with co-ed bathrooms for my 25th college reunion, I started searching for alternative lodging close to Reed. The alumni site mentioned a few places, but they were a bit far. With the help of Google, I found Brookly Center Suites.

I keep kosher, so having a kitchenette was important to me. I no longer drive, so being on a bus route was important to me, with the option of being close enough to Reed to walk. Brooklyn Center Suites was all that, plus very hospitable.

I'm so glad that I found this place, as it made my stay much easier. The room was fine, very clean, bed was comfortable. I'm always warm, so I didn't need to leave the heat on.

I don't live where there is *any* traffic noise at night, so for me the proximity to the street meant I had to close the window to keep the noise out. For folks used to any street noise, it's probably nothing.

There's a bus stop right out in front, a QFC just down the street. Needs Wifi, though. ;)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Stuyvesant, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Our first trip to Portland - and this lovely place was exactly what we were looking for.
The hosts were gracious and responsive - before and during our arrival,. We stayed for four days. The rates are a real bargain.
The room was neat and very clean. It's accessible -with minimal traffic noise. There's convenient parking in front. The suite has a handy furnished kitchenette complete with coffee maker - but we loved True Brew down the street for our morning coffee and pastries.
We'll definitely stay here again next time we're in town. It was a great experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple