“Middle of the road”

Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Bellevue WA
“Middle of the road”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

First off, the price was right (about $100 + tax). But, I agree with most of the recent reviews of this hotel. My feelings are mixed. On the one hand, the suites themselves are lovely, new, modern, with all the comforts of home. I did have to switch rooms upon check-in though, as the original room (134) had a loud howling eminating from the A/C duct that they were already aware of and had no way to fix (then WHY try to give anyone that room?) Moved to 330 and that was fine. The odd thing there is the service. The front desk people seem ambivilant toward guests, and in some cases, bordering on hostile, for no reason that I could figure out. No one looks you in the eye when they speak to you (3 different hotel employees I spoke to). No bell desk, so no one to assist with bags. The pool & hot tub area were nice, but no towels are there (and no sign in your room instructing you to bring your own towels). The silverware in my suite were dirty, so I just ran everything through the dish washer, just to be sure. A rag & spray bottle from housekeeping were in the bathroom when I checked into my suite. Lots of little odd things wrong with this hotel that could be fixed with a new set of management who keeps an eye on the details. My only other complaints (that the hotel can't do anything about) is the MAX light rail and airplane departure noise can be heard throughout much of the hotel. Lucky for me I brought earplugs..

Room Tip: Stay on floor 2 or 3 toward the back of the hotel avoiding the right side (truck noise from Target...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LoveToTravel1962

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were travelling with a mentally-impaired adult, and we had confirmed a two-bedroom suite to sleep our 3 adults. We arrived to find that they had given our reserved and paid-for suite to someone else. We were offered two studios at a lower rate, but this kind of cancellation is completely unacceptable. We choose Residence Inn's exclusively because we usually travel with 3 children - their offered solution would not work in that case either.

I also witnessed another couple with reservations being told they were unable to honor the reservation; the clerk did find room in another Marriott property nearby, but again what is the point of a reservation if it is not honored?

Our issue was with the location, not the chain. This property manager needs to fix their policy regarding room reservations.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank couperine
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Very close to PDX, I had an early flight so I decided to stay close by the airport. Wow! New Hotel, New Shopping Area & Resturants all within walking distance. Close by is Target, Best Buy, Staples and Ikea. It was an easy walk to the varied options for food,work related shopping, or simply needing Personel items. Close by connecting freeways. Noise was not an issue. Easy access to Light Rail at the end of the parkinglot. Friendly Staff. Rooms are like mini apartments with kitchen, stove, dishes and whatnot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Ontario, CANADA
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I spent 2 weeks at this hotel and I will not go back.The company I work for puts alot of guys up in this hotel,and I 'm not sure why. 1st off I waited an hour at the airport for the shuttle,Check in was fine and rooms were clean and very modern. I went over to target to get some groceries to cook some dinner in my room and notice that i did not have any of the utensils needed (pots pans bowls etc).coming back to the room the next day room had been clean but not vacuumed nor was it vacuumed all week.Breakfast every morning was exactly the same every day no bacon and watery scrambled eggs I could go on.My key cards needed reprogrammed every other day. The WIFI was very slow.The dinner that is complimentary 2 nights /week is terrible(subway right next door)soda and anything in the store is marked up 200%.I will say the pool and exercise room are nice.laundry is not free.I 'am comparing all of this to the Staybridge where our company also puts guys up and where I will go from now on.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank JBK2009
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Marriott is always my go to hotel for business but this RI was just strange. The front desk seemed a little out of touch and would often be hiding in the back room. What is up with that?
The positives: Good night sleep, location and airport shuttle
The negatives: front desk staff that need to be evaluated, lack of maintenance on a new hotel and lastly, do they own a vacuum?
I think the mixed feeling is that I was a guest when this hotel just opened and to see this building and it's service slide just made me disappointed. Get someone in there to save it - pronto!

Room Tip: Away from staircase
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I spent several days at the Residence Inn during a holiday visit to family in SE Portland. I needed to change my check-in date twice before arrival and they were very flexible with shifting the date. They have a complimentary shuttle that will pick you up from the airport that takes 15-20 min. to arrive once you call, so make sure you call as soon as you can after landing to avoid a long wait. From the airport it's a quick 5 min. trip. They also offer shuttle service back to the airport so we were able to save money on taxi or rental car. The hotel is highway-close and literally only 100 feet from a MAX light rail system station. I didn't have the opportunity to visit the shops at Cascade Station, but there appeared to be a nice set of stores and restaurants within walking distance including a Target store right next door. There is a nice indoor pool and jacuzzi. Maintenance even turned up the temp of the pool for us when we requested a slightly warmer temp. The fitness room was quite small, but had a few nice modern cardio machines like Precor elliptical with built-in TV monitors. The hotel is very close to the airport, so there was definitely airplane noise, but the windows are triple-paned so the sound was muffled and bearable. The complimentary breakfast takes place in a very small corner of the lobby so it was quite cramped at peak times. It also seemed the staff had a hard time keeping the food and plates stocked throughout the course of the offered meal time. If you want to be on the other side of town the Residence Inn Downtown/RiverPlace has the opportunity for a nicer view and has a much more substantial breakfast spread with more room to breathe...however you also have to shell out approx. $20 a night to park at the Downtown location and parking was free at the Cascade Station location. I would definitely head back to the Residence Inn Portland Airport/Cascade Station the next time I am in town visiting friends/relatives on the East Side...otherwise I think I would choose Downtown/RiverPlace. My one complaint that has followed me to every Residence Inn I have ever visited...the refrigerators have very loud motors that make it hard to sleep through if you're in a studio vs. 1 bedroom and the shower/toilet section has a vent that sounds like there is a fan running continually if you are on an upper floor.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have a "view" of the surrounding parking lots. We were in 333 & 335...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 5 January 2012

It could be we had the noisiest room in the whole hotel-but don't stay in a first floor suite. You could hear people going up and down stairs all night. Also you're right at the end of the runway for morning take offs so forget sleeping past 7:00am. This isn't bad though if you want breakfast. It gets pretty busy by 8:00 and the poor server put up a good effort but struggled to keep up. Not exactly the relaxing stay I was hoping for.

Room Tip: Any room was quiete than mine. As far away from the first floor and west side of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple