“Please consider Hyatt Place FIRST!”

Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station
Ranked #27 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denton, Texas
“Please consider Hyatt Place FIRST!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

As a flight attendant for 14+ years, I have never written a review regarding hotel accommodations while on the job. Hyatt Place PDX Airport is so comfortable, quiet, and certainly all staff put your satisfaction as their top priority. After unscheduled, very short overnight, I forgot a few expensive items in the room when I left. All staff beginning with their Shuttle Driver to the Front Desk Reception and Housekeeping made sure I received my forgotten articles ASAP and I appreciate their sincere concern. Please consider the Hyatt Place PDX Airport when booking your overnight. They are a terrific team. My thanks to them.

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable, extremely clean and quiet.
Green Features: They implemented environmentally-friendly practice years ago. Thank you.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Timothy D, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to review Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor!

I am thrilled that our team was able to return your items to you and appreciate your kind compliments! I will be sure to share your feedback with all departments on property.

timothy.donnell@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband had meetings in Portland so we flew in the night before and stayed 2 nights at this hotel. We chose it to be near the airport for our very early flight home. It's very convenient to the airport, especially when you have an early flight. We have stayed at Cascade Station before at the Residence Inn but Hyatt Place is a little closer to the shopping and the restaurants of Cascade Station and we liked it better. The stores in Cascade Station are reasonably budget but there is a variety and it's handy to have Target across the street if you need to buy anything. The hotel room didn't have body lotion so I was able to get some at Target. We go to Portland frequently so I usually take off and shop at other areas of the city but there are a few shops in Cascade Station that I like to visit. The restaurants in Cascade Station are the usual chain restaurants. Both evenings we went out to dinner with local friends in an area about 10 min away on Stark Street. We ate at new trendy bistro type restaurants in an area that is just developing. Our hotel room was large with a sitting area and bed area which shared a big flat-screen tv. The bathroom had the toilet and shower (no bath) in a separate room and the mirror and sink in the open. We found the king bed to be very comfortable. Planes fly overhead but we didn't hear any outside noise. We didn't get a chance to eat the breakfast buffet but it looked pretty good and was nicely laid out in the lobby. We just grabbed some juice and a banana on the way out the door. Didn't get a chance to use the pool either but it was conveniently located off the lobby. All in all, the hotel met our needs and we will stay there again when we need to be near the airport.

Dear h0lym0ly:

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you decided to try us out during your recent visit to Portland! It is true that we are fortunate to have such a variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance! So that you are aware for next time, we do have body lotion available, complimentary, at the Front Desk for guests by request. We look forward to having you back on your next trip!

K.F.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Overall, the hotel was great. The double-queen room was clean and spacious (and had a shower/bath combo, which was great; I was concerned that we'd only have a shower after reading some previous reviews). It had a large, flat-screen TV with plenty of places to plug in devices (laptop, DVD player, etc.). The corner couch had an ottoman on wheels and a pull-out sofabed (which we can't review since we didn't use it). The staff was mostly friendly, cheerful, and accommodating. All the basic amenities were provided (soap, conditioner, shampoo, instant coffee and tea in the rooms; earplugs, combs, sewing kits, etc. on display at the front desk-- but toothpaste had to be requested specifically). They also had plenty of amenities available to borrow-- universal phone chargers, high-power blow-dryers (but the one in the room was much better than the wall-mounted dryers in most hotels), water wings and pool noodles, and a bunch of other things. We stayed on the top (4th) floor. We could occasionally hear air traffic, but it was muffled enough that it wasn't bothersome at all. Our room faced the street, so we heard occasional street traffic as well (also quiet and not bothersome). I think my kids would have actually preferred a room facing the parking lot since more airplanes passed by that side of the hotel. The loved standing at the windows and watching all the planes descend!

The gallery staff was mostly friendly, cheerful, and accommodating. My children can be a bit obnoxious at times, but the staff was respectful and friendly to them. Housekeeping staff was also accommodating. There was a little bit of a language barrier since I don't speak Spanish, but they were patient with my awkward game of charades while trying to ask for extra coffee mugs.

The food was not bad at all. There was a decent selection of fruit, yogurt, sausage, pancakes or french toast, cereal, oatmeal, doughnuts and pastries, bagels, English muffins, and sliced breads to choose from. The french toast had way too much cinnamon for my taste (I'm a french toast purist), but there were plenty of other options to make up for it. My biggest breakfast complaint was the fake eggs. Real eggs would have taken the breakfast menu from "average" to "very good" for me. The gallery menu had a pretty good selection of items to choose from for lunch/dinner/snacks. The gallery hosts were very willing to customize our orders and even make a couple things that weren't actually on the menu. We didn't get to try the treats (cupcakes, cheesecake, molten lava cake, cookies), but the breakfast sandwiches, pretzel roll sandwiches, salads, nachos, and pizza were not bad at all.

The pool was open from 6 am to 10 pm. The pool area was clean and well-maintained.The water temperature was perfect-- warm enough to jump right in without a shock, but not *too* warm. The chlorination seemed particularly strong, but at least it was clean. The hot tub was a little hotter than I prefer, but my husband thought it was fine.

Check-in and check-out were very easy. You can do it via the front desk/gallery host or at a kiosk. We stayed over a weekend and there was plenty of parking, but it wasn't free ($13 or so, if I remember correctly). They also offer the option of parking for a week beyond your stay (so you can leave your car at the hotel if you'll be flying out of PDX).

The hotel is near Target, Banana Republic, Bath and Body Works, IKEA, several other stores, Starbucks, and a few casual restaurants. The hotel's shuttle runs 24/7, but it *only* goes to the airport; if you need transportation to other parts of town you'll have to look elsewhere. The nearest MAX station is only a block or two away. The location was not convenient to where we needed to be, but we knew that when we reserved the room. We chose this hotel's amenities over the convenience of a lower-quality room near our destination.

My two other complaints were 1) the staff's refusal to provide cocoa packets in place of the instant coffee packets in the room. We're not coffee or tea drinkers and have never stayed at a hotel that didn't provide cocoa as an alternative. They wanted $2.50 for a single packet of cocoa mix. On the bright side, Target is across the street so we didn't have to go too far to find some. 2) The smell of bleach on the bed linens was really strong. It burned my nostrils. Unfortunately, we'd forgotten our own pillows and had to use the hotel's (rather uncomfortable) feather pillows. Once I figured out why my nose hairs felt singed, I put a t-shirt over the pillow and kept the sheets away from my face. It helped. I understand the need to make sure the linens are clean, but it seemed a little overboard. I do have a sensitive sense of smell, though, so it might have just been me.

Overall, it was a good stay. We'd definitely stay here again for the price we paid, but would consider trying our luck elsewhere if we had to pay full price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank billgeta
Timothy D, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear billgeta:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at Hyatt Place Portland! Many guests, like yourself, enjoy our food and beverage offerings as well as the wide array of "borrows" items that you have mentioned and we are happy to provide them! Additionally, our King rooms are equipped with stand-up showers while our rooms with two Queen beds have tubs. Hopefully, this will alleviate any concern for a future stay.

I really appreciate your comments about our staff's service and positive attitudes and will definitely share your feedback with them!

To address your concern about the bleached sheets, I am sorry for any discomfort that this experience caused. I have never heard this remark before and will share it with housekeeping to determine if something has changed in their day-to-day practices that might cause this or if it is an isolated event.

Thank you again for sharing!

Mill Valley, California
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel is a budget property of the Hyatt chain, located very near the Portland airport. It competes with ALoft,
Marriott Courtyard and similar properties. Our rooms were at the top floor( 4th), and quiet even with the overhead air traffic. The rooms are big, with a large flat screen TV, coffee maker, fridge and free internet in the room.
Our closet was quiet small, the bathroom adequate with a sink outside.
The AC was the "in room" kind and noisy.
The breakfast was included in out $94/rate, and had a good variety of fruit, eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, juices
and a few pastries.
I think it is good for a few nights stay, with the hotel also providing a shuttle to the airport. The location is right
near a shopping center called Casade Station, with many stores and some restaurants. The weekend traffic
right in front of the hotel can be busy , especially to the Ikea store down the road.
There is also a large, free parking lot in the back.

Room Tip: We liked the topfloor (4th) with no rooms above us.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ryan H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am glad that you were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast during your stay as well as make use of the 42" TV that is included in every room. Yes, Cascade Station can get very busy this time of the year but there are some great shops here. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland. Thanks!
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Hyatt Place at the Portland Airport prominently posts signs which warn of a $200 charge if you smoke in their rooms. But what happens when the room stinks of air freshener, not smoke?

I have stayed there twice in the past month and both times I was assaulted with the smell of excess air freshener as I opened the door to my room. The basic problem is that the windows to this hotel do not open and the HVAC controls do not have a vent or outside air option. As far as I can tell, the ONLY way to get fresh air into your room is to leave the bathroom fan on for hours. I tried this and the room still reeked after 5 hours.

My guess is that the housekeeping staff uses the air freshener to compensate for the lack of ventilation in the rooms. I have complained twice to the front desk about this and their response is " we will notify housekeeping".

I am not overly sensitive to odors or perfumes , but for some reason I can not stand the smell of these rooms. Otherwise, the Hyatt Place would be my first choice of hotels at the airport

2 Thank DoctorM
Ryan H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! I apologize that your stay was anything less than delightful. I we strive for complete customer satisfaction and it seems that we dropped the ball in this one area. I assure that your comments will be addressed with the housekeeping staff to hopefully alleviate this situation. We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you. Thank you!
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 27 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I have stayed here twice during business trips to Portland. The hotel is in a convenient location, only about 10 minutes from the airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Free breakfast is a great perk.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Justin P
Thank you so much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to know that our location is convenient for you for your business travels. We are fortunate to be located so close to the airport with that "airport" feel. We hope to see you next time your business travels take you to Portland. Thanks again!
Auburn, CA
Reviewed 27 October 2013

With my daughter now attending college in Portland, we have recently found ourselves spending quite a few nights at the Hyatt Place Portland. Each stay was consistently excellent. The rooms are large, modern and clean. The free breakfast is plentiful and varied. The staff is very personable and helpful. The location is excellent, especially considering the free airport shuttle. Love the free parking, daily newspaper and wifi. We have come to expect a high level of quality from the Hyatt chain, and this particular hotel delivers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Foothillgal
Hello and thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that we are your "home away from home." It is very gratifying knowing that our repeat guests receive consistent service every time they visit. Good luck to your daughter and we look forward to seeing you next time!