“Always Clean, Comfortable and Cozy for PDX!”

Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station
Ranked #31 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed at the Hyatt Place Cascade Station (Portland, OR) outside of PDX a number of times and it is always very solid. My wife and I stay at this property before flying out of Portland. The location is impeccable, the breakfast is solid, the hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff is welcoming and friendly.

The property is within walking distance to the Economy lots, so if you need to park a car there, you can easily walk back to the hotel. The free shuttle operates at all times as long as you schedule it.

We booked the night using 8,000 Hyatt points which is a value as the hotel is a bit spendy if you pay cash.

Overall, this property is one of the better Hyatt Place properties out there and my favorite in the Portland Airport (PDX) area. Read my full review here: http://www.dovertime.com/blog/2014/6/16/hotel-review-hyatt-place-cascade-station-portland-or

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower level to avoid airplane noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Morgan P, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you, Dovertime, for taking the time to review Hyatt Place Portland Airport on TripAdvisor and your blog. I enjoyed reading both! I am so glad you have enjoyed your many stays with us and we appreciate your loyalty. I wanted to let you know in the future we are able to take overnight, long term parking guests. Our park and fly is $5 per night & our shuttle with take you to and from PDX. I hope you are able to take advantage of this in the future and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Portland!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is a typical Hyatt Place property in a superb location: very close to the Cascade Station mall, the Portland airport and the interstate on-ramps. It's just a 15-minute drive to downtown Portland and if your flight leaving PDX is an early one, the whole process of driving to the rental car return, returning the car, walking to the check-in counter and making it through TSA takes no longer than 30 minutes. Very convenient.
The rooms are the prototypical Hyatt Place room. However, the closets have at least their usable space tucked behind the wall at the end of the vanity, making only half the closet available easily. That's OK for a solo business traveler but very difficult for a couple or family. Luckily, there are plenty of horizontal surfaces in the rooms where clothing can be stacked but then you lose the benefit of the Hyatt Place room design: plenty of places to sit and relax. Another gripe I had with this property was the maintenance of the shower. The bottom grout line was gray/black from soap scum ± mildew. Yuck! I often wonder whether management tours the rooms regularly to check for this type of maintenance issue or whether reporting this type of thing devolves upon the busy housekeeping staff. To my mind, that's a management responsibility that if carried out regularly could forestal the yuck factor when faced with drains not working properly, discolored grout and other easily remedied maintenance issues. Walls between rooms are not well insulated. We were unfortunate enough to sure a common wall with someone who had left his/her mobile phone in the room and was trying to be contacted repeatedly at 5am. That phone chirped intermittently for an hour putting paid to any chance we had to enjoy a restful night. We also had what sounded like practicing Flamenco dancers above us, however, the absence of castanets made us realize it was only family members enjoying themselves.
Overall, we were happy with the property apart from those issues.

2  Thank allidoistravel
Ryan H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor and I sincerely apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. Management does frequently inspect the rooms to assure that we are the number one choice for travelers seeking accommodations in the Portland Airport area. This issue has been addressed with my housekeeping team to hopefully alleviate any future concerns. Again, I truly do apologize and I hope that we are given another opportunity to serve you. Thank you

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed with my husband and my mom as a basecamp for sightseeing around Portland.
It is locted only 5 minutes from the airport and very convenient to access to downtown Portland.
We chose two Queen bed and it was comfortable enough for my husband and myself to sleep on one bed. The room is roomy and spacious enough to relax and place your luggages because all roomes are suites.
The bath room is small, but considering the price, it is acceptable. Good point is that the wash basin was separated from the bathroom (located next to the bathroom but outside) with large space to put your things (cosmetics kits, etc.), so it was convenient.

If you do have lots of things not only in downtown but around the vicinity, too (winery tour, coast drive, mountain hike, etc.), and do not spend much time inside the hotel, it is wise to stay at this kind of hotel.
Lastly, probably because it was because of Oregon, the free breakfast was very delicious (I stayed at another two Hyat Place but they were not that good)!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I am so glad that you were able to experience some of the many activities that Portland has to offer; it is so beautiful in the Spring and Summer and the weather can be perfect. We really are fortunate to have such a convenient location for a "basecamp" next to the airport but also with easy access to Interstate 205. Next time, I recommend taking the 40 minute drive out to Multnomah Falls for additional sightseeing and hiking. Thank you so much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This Hyatt is in a good location with lots of businesses around it. There is all of your standard big box stores around this location, it's close to a few restaurants, and Ikea is down the street.

I didn't hear any plane noise and got a good nights rest.

I would stay here again if I'm in town.

3  Thank jason745

Hello and thank you for your review. I am glad that you were able to acheive a restful night's sleep and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Portland!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

First, this is your typical Hyatt Place and it does not deviate from their standard floor plan. However, unlike some, this one felt like it was more open and had more light. Very convenient to the airport with a free shuttle almost on demand. Plus, just a few blocks from the transit light rail station that goes directly downtown which is an adventure in itself. No need to hire a car and an all day pass is only $5.00 ($1.00 for Seniors). In addition, it is situated at the Cascade Station- a huge, well planned, outdoor shopping mall that has abundant trees and flowers and with lot of places to eat just within a block or two.The setting almost has a rural, uncrowded feel to it. Although in approach path of the airport, I never heard the planes although I could see them close by. The front staff was amazing, especially Sara who wanted to make sure that everyone that passed by felt special.

Downsides (and why no 5 stars) is that the breakfast area was always crowded no matter what time we came by during our 5 day stay. As a result, there was not enough clean up and the coffee always seemed to be out. However, being a Hyatt Platinum member, I have found this to be the case at many HPs in the past and I think this is an issue with the business model; the common areas need to be bigger with more bus staff. By-the-way, although you can light fare 24/7, there is no room service but they will package it to take back to your room.

Others have mentioned the noise in the room This is also a typical problem at most HPs were there is no enough structural/sound deadening support between floors. You can always hear the people walking above you. For this reason, you should always ask for a top floor at any HP. And...like some others, I found the bed too soft. Finally, the pool was somewhat cold and thus lightly used (you can see it lack of use from the breakfast area).

All up, this is a great place to stay to visit Portland if you do no want to rent a car and deal with traffic. Portland has a great public transit system anyway. And, as with most HPs, the front desk staff is amazing!

Room Tip: Top floor definitely!
3  Thank Ken P
Morgan P, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback on Hyatt Place Portland Airport at Cascade Station. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast, as we are always looking to grow. We hope to see you next time you are in town!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Two day business trip.

Pros:
1. Great location, just minutes from the airport
2. Eateries and shopping in walking distance.
3. Standard Hyatt Place amenities
4. Helpful staff
5. This location is located directly under the flight path, of the airport. My room was on the top 4th floor and I did not hear any aircraft noise, while in my room.

Cons:
Whatever the cleanser/ air freshner '"ALL Hyatt Place hotels use is annoying if not sickening. They should seriously consider using a fragrance / cleaner that is not so offensive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank twillis600

Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Place Portland Airport on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciates. We hope to see you next time you are in town!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have stayed at many an airport hotel, and never have expected much. Many times my expectations have been met by having a clean comfortable place to stay near the airport, and a few times I have been quite pleasantly surprised. That was the case here at the Hyatt Place at Cascade Station in Portland. This concept of a hotel really thinks outside the box. The operation is 100% customer service driven. The layout of the property is well thought out. Having the bar and the front desk connected and all team members cross trained is a great idea.

One service they provide is having cooked to order food available 24/7 through their galley service. You order the food and they call you when it's ready for pick up. They also have a full breakfast in the morning which is included with your room

The rooms are spacious with a divider between the bedroom and living room areas.

The negative thing I have to say about my stay is that my wake up request was not honored and I received no call.

2  Thank Joe C

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! Our goal is offer the best customer service possible, and we are glad you got to experience this. I do sincerely apoligize about you not receiving your wake up call. It is with feedback like yours that we can avoid such matters in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.