“Awesome Improv - "Pipes"”

Curious Comedy Theater
Ranked #178 of 452 things to do in Portland
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

We recently visited Portland for the first time and wanted to find something local to do. We found this place after browsing online and decided to check it out. For only $12, the four of us had a front row seat to the improv musical "pipes", which was hilarious! We were all pleasantly surprised by the quality of wit and comedy we got for the price. And, the drinks are great! Highly recommend - but, not for kids! I think the highlight of our night was the look on a poor kid's face who had just learned that Santa was not real... Plus, there was some other adult content. But, do go if you're in town!

2  Thank Lauren H

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We've previously been to an "Instant Comedy" show where they focused on standup and did Improv as a filler to allow the comics to prep on their new topics. I now understand why I liked the stand up a LOT and the improv was just kinda Meh.

We went to see the "Open Court" comedy show that they did on Thursday night. It was an Improv night where the 'experienced' crew (the Curious Comedy Players) brought a ton of people up to join groups and do improv.

So, I'll start with the good: 1) it was a cheap, unique idea for weeknight entertainment. 2) The berry cobbler was really good. 3) The theater itself is very well thought out and an effective, classy venue, 4) There were a handful of moments that made us laugh.

Now the areas that could use improvement: 1) since the show welcomed participation of guests, it was filled with uber amateurs. 2) there were a lot of times where the laughs weren't coming. 3) it's really distracting and borderline annoying to hear people in the audience with LOUD forced (possibly fake and undeserved) laughs for things that really weren't funny. This was coming from either people that were part of curious, or other participants.

There were only 8 people in the audience that made up the 'non-participating' audience, our group of 4 made for half of them. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to ONLY be in the audience. And I guess aspiring comics need to learn the ropes somehow. I'm glad they have a venue for it, and I certainly don't sweat the $5 each that we paid. Honestly, I view the money as a donation of sorts, because I know that Curious Comedy has a mission and that's respectable.

We were entertained in an unexpected sort of way. It gave us an appreciation for the fact that comedy is not something just anyone can do (although they will try). It was a decent cheap way to pass an evening and something new to make for a double date night.

We'll probably come back sometime, but I think from now on, we'll stick to weekends where the talent pool is deeper and we'll focus on standup events, as those seem to be a lot more enjoyable for us than improv.

So, good attempt by Curious Comedy. It didn't suck, but didn't blow us away either. Maybe my expectations were too high. However, we still had an enjoyable time with friends watching it all play out and got a handful of laughs along the way. Keep it up and we might see you again on a weekend when you have some more heavy hitters.

1  Thank Trayson H
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We had a seriously hilarious, bellyache laughing time at Curious Comedy Theater's Main Stage Show on Saturday. We're originally from Chicago, the Land of Lincoln and the Land of Thousand Comedy Clubs, and we're also some tough critics. This is one of the best comedy shows we have ever seen.

I recommend the Main Stage Show to anyone with a sense of humor. The Main Stage Show plays every Friday and Saturday at 8:00PM and features sketches, improv and stand up comedy. The crew is funny, smart and very like-able. The Main Stage Show is affordably priced at $12.00 a ticket or less depending on specials and does not require the dreaded two (2) dollar drink minimum like other comedy places. The thirsty should not fret; the theatre bar has Hopworks Urban Brewery and Deshutes on tap and carries a wide range of other liquors and hot and cold beverages as well as snacks for those with the munchies.

Other interesting shows include Open Court every Thursday and Shadow Puppet Theater on Saturdays. Open Court is like a workshop open to improvisers of all levels to hone their skills or audience members who want to practice laughing. Shadow Puppet Theater is kids-focused and encourages play, creativity and imagination.

The theatre is conveniently located on a public transit line and supplies amble parking to the vehicular types in the back of the building and on the street. Curious Comedy is located in the Vanport Square, between Alberta and Killingsworth. They don't have a sign up yet, but it's next to Old Town Pizza's new location.

We love that Curious Comedy Theater is a nonprofit organization and the first nonprofit theater in Portland. They first opened their doors in October 2008 and clearly on track with their mission: To bring all of Portland's diverse communities together and share laughter. With all the rain we put up with majority of the year, we deserve a good laugh.

Laugher is the best medicine for a frown, even better than a smile. Go and enjoy at least one of Curious Comedy Theater's Main Stage Shows. When they opened in October, they did 30 plays in 60 minutes. They change their skits often, so we'll be back for some more.

3  Thank Brunswick1977