“Just not good”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bellaterra Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Cape May, New Jersey, United States
“Just not good”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I have thought about what I would say in this review since I returned home from Portland as I am a Bed & Breakfast owner and operator myself and realize the impact bad reviews can have on a small business. This inn's website is deceptive with what it leaves out. The parking is on a steep hillside, the only lighting is Christmas tree lights wrapped around a porch railing, the railings are loose and of course in Portland's rain the two flights of steps are covered with slippery wet leaves that were never swept in our 4 days there. The common areas could be used for an episode of Hoarders. Garage sale furniture with stacks of books and out of date magazines, clutter and more clutter. I think there might have been some literature on Portland sights in the clutter on the desk but I didn't want to dig through it. The rooms and bathrooms seem to have been freshened up in recent years but the day to day housekeeping was sporadic, one day bed was made but no fresh towels, the next fresh towels and bed not made. Every day we had to forage for toilet paper as that was never replenished or a spare roll left. Fortunately the room across the hall from us was left open and unmade so we took toilet paper from there. On our last day after I removed one of our suitcases from a table in the room that had a lace cloth on it I noticed some of my powder on it. When I went to pick it up to shake it out I discovered SOMEONE ELSE'S FINGERNAIL CLIPPINGS ON THE TABLE!!! Really. We had opted out of any kind of hot breakfast when we booked the room, but I never saw any evidence that it was prepared for any guests. The breakfast room was dirty and cluttered and furnished from yard sales, mismatched cups,glasses, napkins. There is eclectic and then there is just junk. Continental breakfast was a dozen opened boxes of who knows how old cereal, day-old croissants still in the grocery store packaging, a loaf of bread under an ancient dish/tea towel. There was never any evidence of owner/staff in the mornings to refill coffee pot or clear tables. As we were in Portland when the tornadoes hit Moore OK a little morning news would have been appreciated. There was a TV in the breakfast room tuned to a cartoon station with no remote present to change the channel and once again no staff/owner to help you with it. No morning newspaper. When we commented on the lack of TV our last night the owner said "you can have a TV in your room if you ask for one" With that she carried the small TV from the common area to our room. I guess there is one TV for the whole place. Bed & Breakfasts are all different and their diversity and different characters are what make them appealing to a certain type of traveler but I feel this B&B falls short of any industry standards. I have never had such a negative experience in a B&B in my life.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank AEBDove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 May 2013

While the bedroom was relatively clean, if you overlook the ant infestation in the bathroom, the "common areas" were horrific! Dirty, dead floral arrangements, and I don't mean dried flowers, a broken, dusty chandelier lying on the floor, bags and boxes of books, dying plants, filthy floors, a piano littered with papers, refrigerator that had foodstuffs literally frozen into a block of ice, old open boxes of stale cereal, and a continental breakfast that included day old, discounted baked goods served in the plastic container from the grocery store. I believe this B & B is run by the owner, who is not up to the task. During my stay, I saw no evidence of staff. In terms of safety, the outside railing is extremely unstable and the curtain on the porch hides another staircase that one might assume was a railing. Both of these conditions are accidents waiting to happen. Do not peek behind the curtain in the common eating area, which hides the "office". It is a hoarder's paradise. Very scary. Another curtain at the end of the hallway hides a stairwell full of clutter. The beds were comfortable, but the linens were beyond awful. Take down the old Christmas lights, which are everywhere!!! Gross! Nothing to see in this area, no shops or cafes to speak of, however, it was relatively close to highways, so with a car, you are fine in terms of location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank funinthesuntravel

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Seattle
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The appeal of staying in a house built in 1891 in a pleasant residential neighborhood is what drew me to the Bellaterra. I got one of the best sleeps I have had while traveling and the atmosphere of my room was soothing. The location is close to downtown Portland but on a surprisingly quiet street just off busy Barbur Blvd.

I do not personally seek out theme B&Bs that look as if they are perpetually at the ready for an immediate photo shoot for Sunset magazine. To me this was like staying in a cool, old house with furnishings hinting at a bygone time but not gleaming and just waiting for the camera crew. The lower reviews I see here may be by travelers who do wish to have an experience more on the themed B&B side. Not to criticize their travel style but I suspect what I discuss above may address much about the lower reviews. If your definition of B&B travel is broad enough to include the embracing of cool, old houses in a regular residential setting this is one I liked right away. A house from that period with multiple bedrooms does not have large rooms. So think cozy and you will be in tune. If you want something else than be honest with yourself and look for a former mansion.

Ellen was great and has had a very interesting life if you take time to talk with her. Hot breakfast was not available at the time that I visited but the spread left out for me was all quality and more than ample, even the coffee was good. Yes, you are requested to book on the website and to pay on arrival. I have found this to be the case in numerous other places I have stayed in my travels so it is not unheard of. As stated, I was very comfortable and I appreciated the atmosphere and quiet. I will certainly book there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We have found the place by looking for pet-friendly accommodation, but it was so much more than that. The building is beautiful, with art everywhere and even a gorgeous bathtub setup in one of the rooms! I felt like royalty. Ellen is not only a great hostess, but also a queen of breakfasts; it was delicious. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My wife and I spent Christmas 2012 in Portland and stayed at Bellaterra. I was anything but disappointed with my experience there. Ellen is a gracious innkeeper and fine hostess. She cooked us a scrumptious hot breakfast on Christmas morning and we were delighted by our chat with Ellen and her Mom who was visiting for the holidays. Ellen was extremely helpful — volunteering plenty of info about points of interest in Portland. The overall order and decor of this B&B is just the way I like it: it feels like a residence rather than an overly ostentatious display of someone's overdrive for decor. Our room was ready, immaculate, and inviting upon our arrival. The bed was comfortable and the colors of the room, soothing. The bathroom was finished in toasty shades of genuine marble and tastefully arranged and furnished.
The continental breakfast was also very impressive, a wide variety including: Breads, yogurts, jams, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, cold cereals, teas, coffee, and even Nutella! Overall an excellent value. I would also like to add here that none of the negative points offered by previous reviewers were in evidence during our stay. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Black Diamond, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The Bellaterra is located in a nice neighborhood, just south of the downtown core. We were disappointed to find out breakfast would not be served the next morning due to a family matter. I understand these things happen, but wish I would have received an e-mail notice in advance; instead of when we showed up. The room was nice but small; the bathroom, almost nicer than the room. Although there wasn't anything really "wrong" with this place, in comparing it to other B & B's we have stayed over the years, it really was very mediocre.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
atlanta
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Great location, quiet neighborhood, very comfortable bed. Breakfast was delicious. Ellen even had coffee ready for us at 4am prior to our fishing excursion. Why go to such a unique city and stay in a ubiquitous chain or faux cool hotel. This place is quintessential Portlandia.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple